Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
So, I leave for a few years, and when I come back, you [bleep] are breaking Talley LW's! grin

This is dismaying because I have a number of them and like them very much.

Trying to quantify this a bit. Have you personally broken them, and on what? Bonus points for pics.

No broken Talley pics, but I have a series of photos of a Nosler bullet box that kicked my ass.....

Last edited by ingwe; 01/30/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not had any problems.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
So, I leave for a few years, and when I come back, you [bleep] are breaking Talley LW's! grin

Trying to quantify this a bit. Have you personally broken them, and on what? Bonus points for pics.

No broken Talley pics, but I have a series of photos of a Nosler bullet box that kicked my ass.....
grin

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've broken 2 sets out of about 6 sets owned. 1 split vertically through the base and 1 broken ring cap. I've gone back to dual dovetails.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keystoneben
I like them, but I'm not known to throw my rifle in the creek, so take it with a grain of salt.

Come on dude. That is the only way to prove you're badass. [bleep] tough on the Milford, ya know?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had a few break and seen first hand a few more. I still have a few sets, but they make me nervous.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by mod7rem
Ive been using talleys for about 15 years and did break 1 set. One of the top caps split across the screw holes. I think it was operator error, I tightened the crap out of it and it eventually gave up. I now use a torque wrench and dont expect to have any more problems.

Over-tightening is the main cause of Talley failures. If a ring cap is cracked, it only got that way by one method.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Why anyone would use these crappy rings is beyond me. If they were the only choice out there I could see it, but they aren't. There are tons of rings that are much better on the market today.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine cracked at the mounting area, near the receiver, although the anecdotal reports of failures on the interwbz seems to point towards more cap failures.

I did a hardness test and the material measured within the 7000-series as Talley advertises.

Might be hard to tell in the pic, but there is a crack that goes from the thru-hole to the face closest to the camera.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe

That's a fu cking classic right there... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a side note...

If anyone has a set of Talleys that have failed, I'd be happy to do a hardness test on them if you're interested. Please send a PM.

JeffO, sorry to sidetrack.

Jason

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Mine cracked at the mounting area, near the receiver, although the anecdotal reports of failures on the interwbz seems to point towards more cap failures.

I did a hardness test and the material measured within the 7000-series as Talley advertises.

Might be hard to tell in the pic, but there is a crack that goes from the thru-hole to the face closest to the camera.

[Linked Image]

That's exactly where my second broken set cracked.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I mount a lot of scopes. I am a dealer for Talley and like to use them on everything that isn't getting a rail. Talley makes nice picatinny rails too. In 8 years dealing them not one set has ever come back. Every once in awhile I will order the wrong set and they make it right far beyond my expectations every time. I do wish they could make their lightweights in a titanium version for guys that are hard on their rifles.

My sons Accumark has Talleys on it holding a VXIII 6.5-20x40 EFR target scope. One day he was packing it slung over his shoulder and the sling mount came open and the rifle fell straight back landing right on top of the target knob in really hard packed gravel. I figured the scope would be broke in half. It smashed the turret cover but it didn't hurt the rings or the scope. Zero was spot on. 10 years later he is still using the whole setup.

At work we see far more broken, rounded out screws and stripped receiver holes than broken Talley's. Over tightened scope mounts are far and away the most common mistake I see on peoples rifles. That alone completely jacks up the tracking and ability to hold zero in some scopes by distorting the tube right where the erector pivot is located. If you are mounting your own scopes I can't stress enough the importance of a good inch pound torque wrench. Every set of rings should also be checked with a lapping bar for alignment.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by slowr1der
Why anyone would use these crappy rings is beyond me. If they were the only choice out there I could see it, but they aren't. There are tons of rings that are much better on the market today.

Define "better" here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
EVERYONE that I know/shoot/hunt with has broken at least (1) set of LW's. Multiple,have failed multiple and upon different receivers and I'm one of "them".

I personally have owned/shot/got 50+ sets of LW's and my "problem" is,I shoot and spend more time flogging upon same,than anyone else "knows". Hint.

A not so fhuqking curious "consensus" here,is them who are the most couchbound,trumpet and fabricate the most excuses for LW failures. NONE of them turn a fhuqking lick,wear out barrels under field conditions or wear out boots. Hint.

Now LW's have been very good to me,given their none too "secreted" limitations(weight),which just "happens" to be predicated upon their design. The Theory is there,but their execution do not meet the perils of REAL Application. Metallurgy has run the gamut,for a multitude of reasons,none of which is comfortin' when YOUR schit pukes in the field. Hint.

When I weigh in extrapolation the 100's of 1000's of rounds suffered ala LW's in my mitts and the conditions/atmospherics they've been subjected to,I'll grant that SOMETHING is gonna puke over time. The fhuqking constant(s) that plague my actual USE and those of others who actually USE rifles,is that failures by and large have been on modest weight rifles,of modest or lesser recoil values. The inertia summoned is exceedingly modest in comparison to many platforms I gun,but the failure rate is skyrocketed in glaring comparison.

LW's do not handle wear/tear worth a fhuqk,in the longterm. They can/will/do puke and I could give a fhuqk less about a Safe Queen,taking exception to that glaring obvious. For folks that run/gun up/down mountains,schlep streams and fend a new thing called "weather".there will simply come a time,when LW's WILL fhuqk you and puke unsuspectingly.

Feel free to "torque" that constant fact. Hint. Laffin'!

In recent years(last 3) their Puketitude has gone through the fhuqking roof and all of us who gave them a chance,turned tail and RAN away. Sad,but true.

It's a fhuqking hoot here,reading about the "horror stories" folks regale in,on how a rifle slipped off a shoulder or managed it's first scratch. Hint. Laffin'!

As rifles go,the most consistent inconsistency I've seen through the years and via 100's of rifles/scopes/chamberings that I've owned,is that optics and their mounting systems reliably puke before anything/everything else. Read that again. Now one more time.

I've defaulted back to schit that I've never broken,or seen broke in the firsthand and that is DD's. Though in fairness,they weigh 100% more than LW's,though I can suffer the extry 2 ounces of weight for a 100% warm/fuzzy. Hint.(grin)

Perhaps I had GREAT lots of LW's to start with,which baited the hook,then they got "bad"?!? Fhuqk I don't know. What I do KNOW,is that their trust has been broken and will never again be revisited,due inopportune failures less obvious explanation.

It was a good ride...but that party is OVER.

Hint.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Agreed, I havent had DDs go TU on me yet.

Keep your eye on the fruit........
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I got several sets, Mark V ulw 300 Roy, Mark V fibermark 340 Roy, lotsa lil calibers, nary a hiccup....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As usual, Big Boxer nailed it. In lieu of DDs, I have gone with Burris low profile two piece steel picatinny base with seekins aluminum picatinny rings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Judman,

I got several sets, Mark V ulw 300 Roy, Mark V fibermark 340 Roy, lotsa lil calibers, nary a hiccup....

Haven't you heard or read you get what you pay for?

After spending $1,600 on a Pierce titanium and $1,350 for a VX-6, and $520 for a carbon stock, and $600 for a Christensen carbon barrel and $225 for a Terminator 3 brake and a few hundred for the 'smith to put it together, I went on the cheap and used Talley light weights. crazy I used the rifle on several hunts last year, which was its first year, and like you didn't have a problem.

What I will say is after two $225 Timney triggers I switched to another brand.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,715
Posts18,514,120
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.