Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd find and older (gloss finish) ADL.

I can't stomach a Howa due to the weight.

That said, they make very good guns.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
HR IC

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The Howa 1500 Lightning that was imported about 10 years ago with the heavy duty black synthetic stock is the way to go. You can find them used in VG+ condition for around $425.

The Remington 700 built in the 1980s is a superior rifle, but it only came in walnut.

Mannyrock

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I can't stomach a Howa due to the weight.

That said, they make very good guns.

The Howa benefits a lot from a lighter stock. I try to start with a barreled action and put the money saved towards a better stock right out of the gate. Even with a premium stock they are still a good value.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
^^this
My 1983 S&W Howa 24" bbl'd action in .300 magnum goes 6lbs 6ozs in an early 80's BP stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bare Howa barrel and action weigh 5.35 lbs. A decent lightweight stock will come in at ~2 pounds. All up, the typical Howa is going to weigh ~8 pounds. Certainly not a super heavyweight, but all things equal (barrel length and contour) a Remington is going to be ~6-8 oz lighter.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by LowerRiver
Well I kind of followed the majority here. I went to "just look" tonight And had a vanguard S2 follow me home. I got the stainless in 30-06. I wanted a value priced gun that I could leave in camp or in the truck on hunts away from home. I decided on stainless because I'll carry it on nasty days too. I'm a wood and blued kind of guy and I hate having to carry my nice rifles on some of our nasty Oregon fall days. The S2 was the same price as the SPS and I know the S2 is a damn nice firearm. I'm happy.

G F Y = Good For You

I'm an 'older 700 guy but the newer ones fell under the TRAIN.

I ain't exactly sure but I've had 3/4 Howa's (Vanguards). I had NO problems w/any. All shot very well.

2 of them had Beautiful wood, REALLY wish I had kept the 270W>>no shame. It was gorgeous black walnut>>accurate and HEAVY.

Good luck with yours.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 02/07/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I'm a new fan of the Vanguard/Howa. Took delivery today of a stainless 257 Wthby. Had a new B&C Medalist waiting for it. 24" barrel (I cannot like a 26" tube). Bottom metal is nice! Trigger is nice! Uses Rem 700 Talley's that I had on hand. Great value - I have $850 in the rifle/stock - IF it will shoot.

[Linked Image]

Nice looking rifle. I acually like a B&C stock, though they are not as uber as a McMillan Edge. Never saw a Howa I couldn't get to shoot.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I'm a new fan of the Vanguard/Howa. Took delivery today of a stainless 257 Wthby. Had a new B&C Medalist waiting for it. 24" barrel (I cannot like a 26" tube). Bottom metal is nice! Trigger is nice! Uses Rem 700 Talley's that I had on hand. Great value - I have $850 in the rifle/stock - IF it will shoot.

[Linked Image]

Nice looking rifle. I acually like a B&C stock, though they are not as uber as a McMillan Edge. Never saw a Howa I couldn't get to shoot.

A positive for the B&C Medalists is that you can get one this week for under $300 from Stocky's. While it isn't a McMillan, it is an upgrade from the factory stock without the wait.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
The day I bought the gun the kid at the counter was telling me how good the 700's were and that was all he owned. I asked him if I could see the Vanguard and he gave me this look like he couldn't believe I wanted to see anything other than a 700. I had both on the counter and was looking them over when I handed him the Vanguard and told him I'd take it. I think he was genuinely pissed that I didn't buy the 700. He never said a word to me and handed the gun to the other guy at the counter and told him he needed to do the paperwork because he had other stuff to do.

I thought the whole thing was funny. He was a nice kid.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EZEARL
^^this
My 1983 S&W Howa 24" bbl'd action in .300 magnum goes 6lbs 6ozs in an early 80's BP stock.

As was pointed out, that is a tough number to justify...

After using a stock light enough to get those numbers (not really possible) you get a very poor handling rifle...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Had the rifle done in 1983 so it's been that long since I've weighed it bare and wrote the
numbers down I quoted. So I weighed it last evening as in the pic below(7lbs 13ozs).
That's a 6x36 Leupold,Weaver bases,and Leupold rings. It's got a blind magazine,Timney
trigger,steel trigger guard,and action was trued. Even still it can't be 6lbs 6ozs bare. So
with the sling and 2 rounds it'll put it in the ballpark with Nut's figures. Can't be having
any false info floating around here.

As far as handling it's just muzzle heavy enough to help with off hand shots.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.