Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Afternoon ( here) guys,....

FINE afternoon here, in point of fact.

Just waiting to here back from a local forklift pard, ....the very HEAVY, pretty damn dynamic, American built tool grinder sitting on the back of my old workhorse PU is FAR to heavy to even THINK of attempting to grab off with my little Kubota.
I know if DD was here he could do it,....
To nice and afternoon to screw around with chain hoists,....I COULD get the thing landed,....but than would have it right in the way.

Bottom line is that The whole scenario regarding Ball molds and other precision machined ML accoutrements just got to lookin' a little more practical,....Rick, PM me your home e-addy so I can send you a back channel series of text / photos that are not at this time for general Campfire purvue.

Oh,...the equivalent Tool grinder in fresh Chinee fish oil runs 25 30 K.

This old , and admittedly somewhat beat up unit was acquired today for U.S. $ 100, and loaded for free, to boot. Last time I worked an ANCIENT old Taft Pierce surface grinder over, we held .0001" with EASE.

Look, ....the rifling TABLE we're plotting ( can't call it a "machine" cuz we're gonna' build it out of hardWOOD) can't fail if the cutters we send raking down good American DOM are dead nuts,....can they ?

Ya, you need to pull and lube that lock, though Track may well already have,....get some pics, from as many angles as you can,....but if NOTHING else,...from directly above.

We're not "Stealing" nothing,....just plotting Samuel's original design parameters.

I find Hawkins a bit "clubby" ( gotta' smack those Arikarees, I know
grin eek laugh whistle)

I like that basic design in a WAY larger bore size, ...and the barrel SWAMPED,....swing faster, steady up better for MY offhand work.

Not really an issue,....now that I've been assigned the full qualifications of Target Shooter Puzzydom, this would all just be in the realm of musings,...No ?

GTC

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Member Bullshooter has a swamped barrel, custom flintlock, that he brought to the Campfire Hog Hunt a couple years ago. That was the first such gun I'd seen, and it is indeed a handy piece. I've never seen a swamped Hawken, but I bet it would also be a handy weapon.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Swamping a Hawken definitely falls into the realm of "Hot Rodding".....
You just called it "Custom".

The NICEST traditional "Hawken" I've handled was a .766 bore,....HAD to be .800 in the groove. Loaded a patched round ball into a nicely "Belled" muzzle,...very smoothly.

THIN barrel walls, and a delight to shoot,....you could SEE the ball flying, and the patch dropping off.

Resonant and pleasing BOOM, rather than an ear splitting crack.

Accurate, and POWERFUL,many an ELK felt it's bite, I'm told....bigger payload,reasonable charges,..

Old bud up North of the Medicine Line built it, and was nice enough to leave it in my unexperienced hands.

Cap lock gun,...something similar in Flint would make a really nice build.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,443
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.