Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
77/44 would be intriguing, but at the price of 2 American stainless guns, I wouldn't touch it. Have worked with a RH version enough to know about the trigger, and accuracy. The trigger can be fixed pretty easily, but not the accuracy. Neat little gun though, but I'm just as happy with a lefty American short action stainless (and compact)

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
... They were pretty indigent and haughty when I asked them about Left Hand models. Told me "there will never be a left hand Kimber" ...
THAT is disappointing...

Originally Posted by War_Eagle
... Just keep rocking the builds off M70s and M700s. ...
That is what I am trying to avoid. I would like to have a ready made rifle that I can touch, handle, feel, and know that I am going to like it BEFORE I plop down $2,000 to $3,000 in parts and services to build a one off custom...

That is what moved me to investigate the Blaser R93 and now R8. Every caliber is a LH rifle.

That's kind of where I landed after several builds of a questionable outcome until they were actually in hand after a year or so wait and a check for ????k.

I know not everybody likes Blasers. They are relatively expensive but when you consider a 3k build, not so much. As you add barrels ("rifles") you have the same successful platform and the quality is not a hoped-for but a given.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
... They were pretty indigent and haughty when I asked them about Left Hand models. Told me "there will never be a left hand Kimber" ...

So I quess that makes my LH 22 LR and 22 Hornet, both from the factory, a bit rare! COOL!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by pointer
I heard last year that Howa was supposed to have LH options in 2016. That and a LH Ruger 22lr would be nice.

I was just looking at those Howa minis and thinking how nice that would be as a calling rifle. That action looks short enough to make a lefty 17 or 221 FB work well.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by USAFA71

So I quess that makes my LH 22 LR and 22 Hornet, both from the factory, a bit rare! COOL!

Are yours Kimber of Oregon rifles?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
McMillan has a few new stock designs out for this year, some of which can be LH. Their site is still in the reconstruction phase, so some pictures, etc. are not coming up, but you can get the idea of what is new at least.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing on howa site about lh....except they don't do lh actions.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whitedogone
Yep. I was quite disappointed to not see anything in their catalog either.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It looks like other than possibly a synthetic Cooper, we are out of luck for 2016. Hopefully Cooper makes their new ultra light in lefty. Although, I expect it will be costly to own.

I'm getting tired of waiting for a 6 pound lefty and sick of spending 3k on custom builds that never seem to turn out the way I want.

Maybe it is time to go back to buying Browning rifles and call it a day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ejo

I'm getting tired of waiting for a 6 pound lefty and sick of spending 3k on custom builds that never seem to turn out the way I want.
Agreed, and the problem is that while there are a couple of options out there, for one reason or another they all suck.
Tikka, nothing wrong with them, same goes for Browning and Savage. The Tikka is light, stainless, but has a plastic-gun feel to it; and the others are too damn heavy for my tastes. If it ain't stainless, I have no use for it anymore. Done with blued guns. Rifles are used around here, not safe queens anymore.

For all of the minor annoyances with the Remington 700 series, nothing but that rifle and action feels 'just right' to my hands. Screw on a factory mountain barrel, add any lightweight stock--bed it, inlet the contour, and viola.
The tricky part is finding the stainless xcr or lss .473 lh action...
A build runs about $1000+/- for me these days with this recipe. Screw spending $3000 on any firearm, just not worth it.

Forbes Rifle should read a forum like this and see how badly they screwed the pooch. They had a chance to do something special, alas, opportunity squandered.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Exactly! I have also come full circle on my guns. I certainly don't have anything against a beautiful stock on a $4000 gun, and I have owned several. But, when I'm hunting, the last thing I want to worry about is what the weather is like, so I know what gun to take out, or being ridiculously careful with the gun in the woods. And, after a long day in the field, I probably will have more important things to do than dry, clean, and oil a gun that I've used that day, so it won't rust and get water spots on the stock before the next day.

I fully expect my guns to load smoothly into the chamber when the action is cycled, to shoot accurately at the distances I need them to shoot, and to do it all if the sun is out, if it's raining, or if it is 20 degrees with snow.

I agree on the Tikka, and there is a quality option if you can find the gun at a good price, or already have one. McMillan makes several choices of stocks they can fit to that gun, and a complete drop in stock, pillar bedded, is under $600. A little bit more for the "Edge" lightweight version. So, about $1100 total for the build. The lefty Coopers in full stainless are going to be over $2600 depending on model.

Last edited by KenMi; 01/12/16.
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by ejo

Agreed, and the problem is that while there are a couple of options out there, for one reason or another they all suck.
Tikka, nothing wrong with them, same goes for Browning and Savage. The Tikka is light, stainless, but has a plastic-gun feel to it; and the others are too damn heavy for my tastes. If it ain't stainless, I have no use for it anymore. Done with blued guns. Rifles are used around here, not safe queens anymore.

For all of the minor annoyances with the Remington 700 series, nothing but that rifle and action feels 'just right' to my hands. Screw on a factory mountain barrel, add any lightweight stock--bed it, inlet the contour, and viola.
The tricky part is finding the stainless xcr or lss .473 lh action...
A build runs about $1000+/- for me these days with this recipe. Screw spending $3000 on any firearm, just not worth it.

Forbes Rifle should read a forum like this and see how badly they screwed the pooch. They had a chance to do something special, alas, opportunity squandered.

Good point, I should keep my eye out for a stainless 700. It just gets frustrating year after year. Maybe someone will surprise us next week but I doubt it.

The Forbes rifle was too good to be true.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
OSU
Yes, both of my LH Kimbers are from Oregon. Wish I had a few more!

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by USAFA71
OSU
Yes, both of my LH Kimbers are from Oregon. Wish I had a few more!

The "new" Kimber, from Yonkers, NY is the company I was referring to. I really like the Oregon Kimbers but care little for those making the new ones and that was the group I was referring to.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not really new models, per se, but the lefty stainless Ruger American rifles are now officially cataloged, instead of just being Davidson's exclusives. As well as 3 of the calibers in the lefty compact stainless American line.

With that, I wonder if Davidson's will have a new exclusive run of some sort.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
They are putting some pretty interesting twists in those rifles. 8 in .223, 9 in .243, and 10 in 22-250.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by KenMi

Would be great if it's a rimfire! I can only hope

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by utah708
They are putting some pretty interesting twists in those rifles. 8 in .223, 9 in .243, and 10 in 22-250.

I have a LH 22-250 with the 10" twist but it's not stainless. All black.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KenMi
Not really new models, per se, but the lefty stainless Ruger American rifles are now officially cataloged, instead of just being Davidson's exclusives. As well as 3 of the calibers in the lefty compact stainless American line.

Glad to hear that!! Now to decide if SS is worth the price difference. I'm thinking not and put that money towards a compact stock.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by whitedogone
Yep. I was quite disappointed to not see anything in their catalog either.

One of the FAQ's on Weatherby's web site addresses LH action Vanguards. The answer is "NO". Prohibitive tooling costs.

Seems like they've cut down on the selection of LH Mark V rifles, as well.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,031
Posts18,481,876
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.