Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have all my grandfathers body tools, everything but the Sioux Lead gun. He showed me how to solder with it but it disappeared when he passed. I think only he, Dad and I knew what it was so someone probably canned it...Grrrr still mad about that!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My pops likes that Sata sprayer too.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
No, not too many do any more. I appreciate it from a traditional standpoint, but I think there are better ways these days.

I haven't a clue how to do it. But the old dudes that do,to me, seem to be real cool cats. The type of guys that when they talk, I'll shut up and listen because I'm going to laugh or learn something.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Very nice Dave. I know you love that kind of work, but I think me sees an extra helping of love in that one.

I'd like to see some video when you give it back to him. I'm sure it will be a fond memory fir your entire family.

Good man Charlie Brown.

Last edited by Akbob5; 02/05/16.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Very nice Dave. I know you love that kind of work, but I think me sees an extra helping of love in that one.

I'd like to see some video when you give it back to him. I'm sure it will be a fond memory fir your entire family.

Good man Charlie Brown.

The "good man" in this story is my step dad.

He's a former Marine (the reason I joined too), I look up to him a lot. His work ethic is second to nobody. He's a quad bypass heart surgery survivor (one year ago yesterday) and he's helped me out a LOT in this business effort.

When I get this body and frame ready to receive the fresh 327/powerglide, he will be coming up to put the engine/trans back in the car with us and perform the start up/break in process for the fresh engine. I'm going to put the doors back on the car but leave the front clip off until after the engine is in the car.

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very cool Dave.

You don't seem married to any one paint system which I think is neat. Seems like some guys say "I only squirt DuPont" or "Chose any color you want - so long as it's in the House of Kolor catalog".

Is that laziness or would you prefer to be at a point where you can be that selective on paint/systems?

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful.

Do you have the ripped metal stickers ready?

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hi Andrew.

There definitely is an advantage to sticking with one system. I am currently on the hunt but I won't be able to put together a single brand recipe from my base metal up through my clear coat. The nature of my goals with these jobs along with the nature of my "canvas", requires extensive surface leveling efforts.

Most of the industry leading brands today are built around collision repair on late model cars. the only thing these lines really offer me are base colors and maybe sealers.

I need different primers and surfacing products and I need better clear coat than most lines offer.

That being said, I can still come up with a mixed system that I can settle into and become familiar with. That's what I'm currently trying to do.

I think I've found an epoxy that I like, I have narrowed my spray poly down to about 3 that I like out of many that are offered. 2K urethane primers, same thing. I have narrowed down to a handful that I like. As far as base coat I have used many and I know where my minimum price point is at for quality, I'm fine with my local offerings which are the axalta line, in which I prefer to stay at or above the chroma level. Sometimes Axalta (formerly dupont) won't have a mix recipe for a color I want so I have to go to an alternate brand like I did in this case. A friend of mine runs a local body shop that does insurance type jobs. He's got a very nice mix system with the Metalux brand, which I have used before and I like just fine.

For my clear I am trying to settle in on a high quality high solids. I may have found that product in this SPI universal clear. By the end of this job I will have a better idea if I want to continue to use their product or not.

There is a good chance I will stick with them, they sell more to custom shops that do high end jobs. Lots of cars at pebble beach have SPI clear on them.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Beautiful.

We will need to rev up the time machine so we can go back to the 90's for some ripped metal stickers, lol.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don't forget the bullet hole stickers around the gas filler cover.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Tell your dad I found a guy in Italy that is selling the Sata Jet 5000 guns for what equates to about $400 US (should be closer to $800)

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I will tell him. Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Beautiful.

We will need to rev up the time machine so we can go back to the 90's for some ripped metal stickers, lol.

Did "Ultra Hot" decals make it up that way.?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barbed wire would be sweet.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Stick on vents are where it's at. That's what the Mexicans put on their ford trucks around here. Lol

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Wet sanding the clear now, really love this clear for blocking.

Of course the fact that the new gun helped me lay it slick reduced the amount of blocking needed too.

Man, this is going to be the slickest, straightest of all 65-66 full sized chev bodies. Its ridiculous.

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I figured it would be with you doing the work Dave.

BTW, in my painting days Binks squirt guns we the hot schizz with a brand I do not remember "dripless" cup on em.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
For sure T, I learned how to spray with the trusty old binks model 7. Arguably still today the worlds most popular spray gun. smile

And yes, I had the dripless cup too.

Lots of siphon rigs through the years.

my 2 current "high end" hot rods:

Jap on the left, German on the right.

[Linked Image]

It makes me sick to think of the 2 nice hand guns I could have with what these two set ups cost. crazy

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hear ya Dave on the hand guns. IIRC my Binks #7's cost me like $65.00 each and the dripless cups were about $25.00, heady stuff in the $250.00 full paint job days!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust this finds you and yours well on this first Saturday in February.

Thanks once again for taking the time to shoot some photos of your projects and share them with us. I don't always comment - though I really should Dave - but I always thoroughly enjoy them.

I can't recall if I've ever mentioned this, but when I was 16 I bought a 1965 Impala SS rag top for parts. It was in pretty rough shape considering it was only 11 years old then, but anyway I pulled the Powerglide and the 283 out of it and sold it to a good friend who restored it and put it back on the road for a bit.

Once upon a time I worked with an older millwright who claimed the 1965 Impala had some front end issues that caused them to ditch unexpectedly and it was fixed in the 1966 models?

I don't know if that's so, but my buddy did report the one I sold him had some odd tendencies that way so he didn't drive it much.

Anyway sir, the current project brought back all those memories from almost 40 years ago now Dave - so thanks much for that too. grin

All the best to you and yours this February Dave.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, Backroads, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 10 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,398
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.