Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For those that have compared the old Trinovid to the newer, recently discontinued version.
What are your thoughts?

I have the old version which I very much like but with the newer version on close-out pricing I am really thinking of buying one??

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Dave, I've had the trinovids 8x32 in both the b/a and b/n and liked them very much.
Because of Doug's deal I bought my boys the discontinued version of the trinovids in 10x42 and I think they are a great package with a wonderful view, and for the money I can't seem them getting bested. Another point is these have a full lifetime warranty, a big bonus when it comes to leica stuff...I'd buy with confidence while there's still some around.

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks! My regular hunting bino is a set of 8x32 BA. Can't beat them without spending $1200 or more. I have compared them against the std Ultravid and std Swarovski EL. These stayed....

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have a pair of old Trinovids (late 80's) and I purchased two of the close-outs for my wife and daughter. If I did not have a pair of Geovid HD-B too, I would still be kicking myself for not buying three pair.

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks! I'm on it....

IC B2

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What is the warranty these days on a new Leica like these discontinued Trinovids??

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Leica lags the competition when it comes to warranties. They can't seem to get that through their German heads. None of the warranties are transferrable beyond the original owner. That makes them hard to resell IMO, as who wants to pay premium prices and get zero warranty?

I'd be willing to bet the new/discontinued Trinovid would be no different....lifetime to original owner only, not transferrable. It's a real shame because they do have some nice products.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I will give you that the non-transferable warranty might be a problem for re-sale, but how many transfers and years is a company to warranty their product for 100, 1000?

The discontinued Trinovids are warrantied for 3 years USA passport, that's anything that could happen to them and then after that the lifetime of the original owner. That's a excellent warranty, my Trinovids are over 30 years old and they work just fine, just not the latest and greatest, like my Geovids. (Hopefully, my Trinovids last anther 40 years, knock on wood.)

Last edited by wesheltonj; 02/05/16.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
I will give you that the non-transferable warranty might be a problem for re-sale, but how many transfers and years is a company to warranty their product for 100, 1000?

Leica should be asking Zeiss and Swaro this question, then pay attention to the answer. There are Chinese optics with better warranties than Leica.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
That might be cause instead of fixing them, perhaps the chinese ones just get thrown away and they send you a new one, cheaper fix that way.....

IC B3

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by wesheltonj

Leica should be asking Zeiss and Swaro this question, then pay attention to the answer. There are Chinese optics with better warranties than Leica.

I agree although I have finessed Leica several times to cover issues that weren't due to a bad product. You just have to know how......nuff said.

I have a new set enroute....

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
Thank you for purchasing this instrument and welcome to the world of SWAROVSKI OPTIK. Since
our founding in 1949, the SWAROVSKI OPTIK community has been committed to providing an
ownership experience, which includes our legendary service that is second to none. We sincerely
believe that our optics are the best in the world and put them through rigorous tests to ensure that the
name you trust is built to the highest standards. But in the unlikely event that you discover a problem
in defects in workmanship or materials, we’ll gladly examine the instrument. SWAROVSKI OPTIK
offers a lifetime warranty on the optical system of our products for products purchased by US
residents from an authorized SWAROVSKI OPTIK North American dealer. Once examined, if it is
determined that the optical system is defective we will repair or replace the instrument or defective
part. SWAROVSKI OPTIK warrants all other parts of the instrument for ten years from date of
purchase against defects in materials or workmanship, subject to normal use. All electronic
components are warranted for two years against defects in materials and workmanship, subject to
normal use, from date of purchase. All non-optical products (i.e. accessories, tripods etc.) are
warranted for one year from date of purchase. This warranty is void if damage results from
unauthorized repairs, accident, alteration, misuse, abuse, neglect, fire, flood or other acts of God. If
after the warranty period your instrument needs servicing please call customer service at (800) 426-
3089. At SWAROVSKI OPTIK, we are totally committed to our customer, products and service. Once
you have had the pleasure of owning and using our products, we are sure they will become your
trusted companions for life.

And how is this warranty better then Leica's?

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am not partial to any brand and have used Swaro, Zeiss, etc. one of my favorite bin is a Promaster 8x42ED from Doug.

That said - Swaro and Leupold regardless of what it says on paper totally stand behind the product. Just the way it is. That said I just put my money on Leica as I like the package...

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Don't feel alone weshelton, the Leica guys I talked to don't know the competition's warranty either, which I find odd.

Swaro warranty covers the product for a lifetime, Leica's, as in this duovid example, specifically says original owner. When it comes to warranty and customer support, Leica isn't on the same planet as Swaro......or Leupy, Meopta, Zeiss, etc, etc, etc.

Duovid series binoculars, under its Leica Lifetime Sport Optics Protection Plan. The Leica Lifetime Sport Optics Protection Plan provides protection against manufacturer defects, functional failures, or any accidental damage to the product, including breakage, water damage, or any accident, excluding fire, theft, mysterious disappearance, deliberate damage, or any occurrence for which other insurance protection is in force. Leica Lifetime Sport Optics Protection Plan is not extended to accessories such as straps, cases, lens caps, for covered products. Specifically excluded from this warranty are Leica Geovid and Leica LRF RangeMasters or future products incorporating electronic components. By returning the product to Leica (including the piece with the identifying serial number) with a check for $35 for shipping and handling, Leica will repair or replace the product at no charge during the lifetime of the original purchaser, following acknowledgement of registration by Leica Camera, Inc. (USA).

I've bought several Swarovski binoculars 2nd hand over the years. A simple call to Swarovski Optik USA, along with the serial #, and you'll get a response like I get....." we do not care where you got the binoculars, you are our customer, and we will take care of you. Try that with Leica and see what happens.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Daveh, I don't blame you. I hunted with Leica Trinovid BA's for almost 15 yrs and loved 'em. One of the best built hunting binocular ever.

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JG- he was pointing out how the Swaro warranty looks the same as Leica. On paper...

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Daveh, I don't blame you. I hunted with Leica Trinovid BA's for almost 15 yrs and loved 'em. One of the best built hunting binocular ever.

Right now my primary bins are 10x42 and 8x32 BA's. For whatever reason I find these sharper than BN's. Bought and sold several highend bins trying to beat them...

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Daveh
JG- he was pointing out how the Swaro warranty looks the same as Leica. On paper...

My point was that it actually doesn't. Nowhere in Swaro's warranty will you see "original owner" as in Leica's. You will see "lifetime warranty on optical system", period.

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
True but he was asking how its different and you just showed us.

Helps if I would actually read an entire post.....

I will compare the new to old and report back....these old BA's have not been bested....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I feel the same, bought mine used here on the 'fire and they are wonderful. Trying to work my way up the "alpha glass" ladder I treated myself to a Swaro 10-42 SLC HD when Cabela's ran a deal on them a year and a half ago. The Swaro's get a slight nod for the glass it's self and a bit more for the weight and ergos-at least to me. I've kept the Leica's, either of the two will work fine and I'd never be able to replace the Leica's for what I have in them.

Golden............
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,459 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.