Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Sounds like you're shooting neck. Shoulders, unless you break both sides, are not reliable dropping shots, but they are positive kill shots.

[Linked Image]

This one could have made it to water.

[Linked Image]

Likewise.

I've always subscribed to high percentage shots (lungs). I can count the number of instant drops I've gotten on one hand - and two of those didn't involve broken bones! If I was going to be hunting where there was a decent chance of a moose going swimming, I believe I'd rather carry a come-a-long rather than hope to plant the critter in a spot of my own choosing.

And I remember the last time I tried a come-along to pull a bull moose out of a lake... it pulled a couple trees into the lake... they were only 8-10 inches but they gave up without much of a fight.

The first two legs of your tripod on the first pull? Sounds rather effective to me. crazy (Is there a way to make a link from your comment to the thread where three buddies want to go after a DIY moose hunt? True perspectives might be more useful than opinion. wink )

Like this?
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10930025/Re:_Help_finding_an_unguided_o#Post10930025

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is probably better.

Re: Help finding an unguided outfitter for a Alaskan moose hunt [Re: wyolipripper]
Sitka deer Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Anchorage, AK USA
Originally Posted By wyolipripper
Thanks for everyone taking the time to respond to this post.
I will be looking into the outfitters mentioned above.
If we do this trip I am going make sure I am in great shape.

All the outfitters promise big things but I am really looking for first hand knowledge of a hunt. Raft float hunt vs a lake drop vs a regular drop camp.

Thanks

I strongly suggest you drop the float trip plan if you are not very experienced rafting rivers. Just a little bad luck can leave you in a very bad place, quickly. And you will be dealing with others of questionable experience...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tuchodi
Well in any event let's hope whitedogone gets a good bull and on dry land.

I thought the idea was to try to take em in the water. At shore of course.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been surprised more than once to open up a moose that walked away from the tracks he was in when shot through both scapula. Broken humerus seem to be a whole different deal, but the busted-up scapula aren't necessarily immobilizing.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you want them immobilized then just do what I did. A 600gr Woodleigh soft point at 2180 out of a .505 Gibbs.
DEAD RIGHT THERE! smile

[Linked Image]

Plus hunting with open sighted big bores is a load of fun!

[Linked Image]

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, I bet that 505 gibbs does that even if gut shot... not.

But thats a nice round, always wanted something fairly big but for what reason I don't know.

Nice bull!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I threw 600 grains through a bull some years back with a 45-70....2-300 grainers. Both drilled the onside scapula, one, both of them. One exited. So did that bull, and uphill, for 25 yards or so.

I can think of three bulls that tipped over at impact via 30-06. The very first moose I ever shot with a 190 Interlock side x side through the ribs/lungs. The next took a 180 Grand Slam through the neck. Then there was a 180 E-Tip that went higher than planned above the lungs, severing the spine. Two others were via 340 Weatherby. The first time I fired that rifle at game, it was a 225 XFB which broke both scapula/humerus joints; the second a 250 GameKing which landed too far back and high. It entered in front of the femur/pelvis junction and angled forward, passing just under the kidneys - bruising them a bit. That bull may have died from a twisted neck as it fell, perhaps from being stunned by the bullet, rolling it's head up as the antlers caught in the tundra and the body skidded.

"Where" matters more than "what". (And then there was the bull that a buddy 'stunned' with a 22 Mag so his father in law could catch up and kill it. They have a hard head, but it ain't hard all over. crazy 40 grains @ 1900 brained that dude and he was tipped over and perished before FIL came on scene. :| )

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If hunting in BC, you need to be prepared to make a shot upwards of 450-500yds. A good 180gr bullet is a good starting point.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A pelvis shot in my view ruins too many steaks and is not that great.

I'd have to disagree. The only shot my cow moose presented this last season was a pelvis (Texas heart) shot. I took the shot with the 400 Whelen and a 400 grain Hawk round nose at 75 yards. There wasn't a coffee cup full of damaged meat.

I've taken the shot a couple of other times on elk with a 30-06 and 300 H&H, both with 165 grain Partitions, and didn't find it doing much meat damage. Certainly not near as much as most shoulder shots. In all cases it instantly anchored the animals. In both instances the elk were hit in the chest but still on their feet. One was close to a state line and the other close to a very steep ravine. The pelvis shot anchored both and saved me a much longer pack on the one and prevented the other from crossing into another state. The landowner's farm was divided by the state line.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took a pelvis shot to anchor a Bull I had already liver shot with a .450 Marlin. The meat damage was bad. The worst the butcher saw that year.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by moosemike
I took a pelvis shot to anchor a Bull I had already liver shot with a .450 Marlin. The meat damage was bad. The worst the butcher saw that year.

Bullet choice here is the issue.

Shoot em there with a stout bullet and not a mild cup and core one and you will loose, but it wont' be much....

I did a deer once to stop a wounded one with a cup and core... all I had.. it was not pretty.. I've done it since a couple of times same reason, TSX, no issues.
Watched one get done same back to cup and core in November, toss most of that meat...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Maybe this moose hunting ain't for me. I have no plans other than to try to put a round thru the heart or both lungs. Just how I was brought up, I guess.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bullet selection has much to do with meat damage. The various common factory loads for a .450 all come with relatively soft bullets and exacerbate tissue destruction due. Same shot with a 400ish grain hard cast lead likely produces much less tissue damage.

I often hunt with TSXs for just this reason, minimal tissue damage. However I know that to get radical terminal effects I need to shoot substantial bones. Bang flops, that aren't CNS hits, are more common with softer bullets with greatly increased tissue/meat damage.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree. I was using 350 Hornady's and they are soft. A hard cast bullet wouldn't have done so much meat damage. But I was well equipped for the double lung shot I was intending to take.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Not to be labor a point or start an argument, but I have taken somewhere around 30 bull moose over the years and probably been in on 60 plus bulls down. My preferred shot placement is a heart lung shot for sure, but if I have to anchor one its a shoulder shot.

Alaska moose are bigger than Canada moose and that physical difference may be a factor.

Last edited by Tuchodi; 02/06/16. Reason: Typo
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by mart
A pelvis shot in my view ruins too many steaks and is not that great.

I'd have to disagree. The only shot my cow moose presented this last season was a pelvis (Texas heart) shot. I took the shot with the 400 Whelen and a 400 grain Hawk round nose at 75 yards. There wasn't a coffee cup full of damaged meat.

I've taken the shot a couple of other times on elk with a 30-06 and 300 H&H, both with 165 grain Partitions, and didn't find it doing much meat damage. Certainly not near as much as most shoulder shots. In all cases it instantly anchored the animals. In both instances the elk were hit in the chest but still on their feet. One was close to a state line and the other close to a very steep ravine. The pelvis shot anchored both and saved me a much longer pack on the one and prevented the other from crossing into another state. The landowner's farm was divided by the state line.

Mart is right. That's why I like heavy for caliber bullets. I had a large bull faced away from me in some really think stuff and all I had was a hip. I used my 375 H&H with a 300 grain, Barnes (one of the few Barnes I've used) but it was like that bull was hit with a drill press. You could eat right up to the bullet hole. Heavier, high SD bullets don't damage the meat as bad.

Back to the OP either caliber will serve you well. Just remember all the fun is over once you pull the trigger smile Just use a heavy for caliber premium bullet.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I LIKE it once I pull the trigger!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope my 6.5-06 and 127lrx will get the job done. If the gun dont like them Im going to go with 140 partitions.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike

I busted a pelvis up (unintentionally) when a second shot was needed and the young bull was trotting away at a sharp angle. The 225 XFB caught him in the hip and broke the pelvis into numerous chunks. The worst part of the job was trying to find the pieces of bone since none of the meat had telltale blood-shot to indicate wreckage. Perhaps the worst mess I've seen in a moose involved a 165 cup and core hitting a big bone in the shoulder. Much of that leg was bloodshot. Soft bullets and big bone combos are the problem. I would rarely choose a pelvis shot, but if the question is putting the animal down, it is a viable answer. It is a much more reliable "dropper" than the shoulder shots are. The latter- when they include lungs- are 100% lethal however.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
I hope my 6.5-06 and 127lrx will get the job done. If the gun dont like them Im going to go with 140 partitions.

I want to take a moose with the .270 Winchester. Not much difference between the two.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (6MMWASP, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 79S, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,757
Posts18,476,385
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.