-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Can you hunt fishers in pa is it legal to kill theme if so how do.you go about and find them

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can trap them if you get the appropriate licenses but you cannot hunt them the way you can with bobcat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Why would you want to shoot big, mostly nocturnal, weasels?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They kill every thing that they cross paths with.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As my guide friend from Maine says, fishers wake up PO'd and get more PO'd as the day goes on. Some say a big one (I guess they can hit 30-40 pounds) will even kill a deer, but not sure about that.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Why would you want to shoot big, mostly nocturnal, weasels?

Every one I've seen has been in the middle of the day

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GroundHogWhisperer
Can you hunt fishers in pa is it legal to kill theme if so how do.you go about and find them

1. Google "PA Hunting Abstracts"
2. Open PDF file
3. Read

What, no school today, or did you miss the bus again?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
As my guide friend from Maine says, fishers wake up PO'd and get more PO'd as the day goes on. Some say a big one (I guess they can hit 30-40 pounds) will even kill a deer, but not sure about that.

Never seen one over 15 pounds. Not nocturnal. Mean as chit.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimy
They kill every thing that they cross paths with.

I don't have a problem with that.

They've never been very numerous and have a minimal effect on game populations. I'd much prefer to have these interesting predators out there doing their thing than not. Free-roaming dogs, feral cats, and wild hogs are real threats to other, native, wildlife of all kinds and should be aggressively controlled.

It's been a few years since I hunted PA, but previously, the taking of any furbearer, including foxes, required a fur takers license, separate and distinct from a hunting license. As best as I can remember, only foxes and bobcats could be taken by gun or bow.

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/28/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Other than coyotes, 'cats, pdogs, and gsquirrels, I don't generally shoot anything that I'm not planning to eat or give away for someone to eat.

When I was growing up in northern New England, I never saw a fisher in the woods during full daylight. When I saw them, it was at dusk, dawn, and night, and mostly when there was snow on the ground to contrast against their dark fur coat.

The king of the local poachers claimed that the deer population was severely depleted by fishers killing fawns, but it was just a smoke screen to cover his illegal acts.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have never even seen one my buddy's have caught many and have pics of them but was just curious

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I helped a buddy let one out of a leg hold trap years ago, before they were legal. We used a log to pin it down for the release. Yes it was upset, but ran off after being released.

About 12 years ago I was out deer hunting in the North country. I was in a ridge, no snow, leaves like conflakes. I spotted a Fisher moving through the woods 100 yards or so out. While watching the fisher I heard some crunching over the nearby hill.

I wait a bit, here comes a nice 8 pointer. His rack is on the wall now. I credit the fisher with keeping me put for a bit until the deer came by, noisy as it was moving and all.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Originally Posted by Dogslife57

Never seen one over 15 pounds. Not nocturnal. Mean as chit.

grin I've never seen one over 18 pounds. Your guide friend must have been talking about a Wolverine. They used to be found in some parts of Maine and Quebec. Now, they're mostly endangered and found in northern Quebec on the east coast.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Joh_Gregori: According to my edition of Mammals of America published in 1917 by the Free University Society shows the Martes Pennanti Erxleben (the Pennants Marten or Fisher) males weighing between 8 1/2 pounds and 18 pounds with males measuring 36" long including a 14" tail.
Quote from the "habits" section of this book: "it is chiefly nocturnal and aboreal" - I think that means it mostly is active at night and in forests.
I have seen several of these during the early morning hours mostly when Hunting Elk in the "dog hair" thickets.
My wife and I did find a dead "Fisher" near Quake Lake in SW Montana a few years ago, he was near a highway and appeared to have been bonked in the head perhaps by a car.
Up until a year ago it was legal to Hunt Wolverine in Montana with a Trappers License - but not the Fisher.
A green assed idiot induced court injunction has Wolverine Hunting on hold here in Montana so I have not been able to Hunt them of recent.
I just can NOT imagine a 40 pound Fisher - I also think someone is confusing the Fisher with the Wolverine.
Wolverines do get up to 30 pounds that I am aware of - maybe larger.
This additional - I looked up Wolverines and they have been weighed up to 65 pounds.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fishers are tough little critters, but wolverines are off the badass scale.

Saw a show years ago about a guy that raised some from cubs. They were very playful and seemed pretty smart, but danged if I'd be able to sleep with a couple of them running around loose.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I shot a doe early muzzleloader this year as it and two other does were being harassed by a lone fisher. Watched them bluff charge each other for a couple minutes then finally gave into the temptation. That fisher was real interested in those girls.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Joh_Gregori: According to my edition of Mammals of America published in 1917 by the Free University Society shows the Martes Pennanti Erxleben (the Pennants Marten or Fisher) males weighing between 8 1/2 pounds and 18 pounds with males measuring 36" long including a 14" tail.
Quote from the "habits" section of this book: "it is chiefly nocturnal and aboreal" - I think that means it mostly is active at night and in forests.

No schit, huh? Wow, that's an impressive amount of "thinking" right there.

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I have seen several of these during the early morning hours mostly when Hunting Elk in the "dog hair" thickets.
My wife and I did find a dead "Fisher" near Quake Lake in SW Montana a few years ago, he was near a highway and appeared to have been bonked in the head perhaps by a car.
Up until a year ago it was legal to Hunt Wolverine in Montana with a Trappers License - but not the Fisher.
A green assed idiot induced court injunction has Wolverine Hunting on hold here in Montana so I have not been able to Hunt them of recent.
I just can NOT imagine a 40 pound Fisher - I also think someone is confusing the Fisher with the Wolverine.
Wolverines do get up to 30 pounds that I am aware of - maybe larger.
This additional - I looked up Wolverines and they have been weighed up to 65 pounds.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

More wolverine guessing on your part? Typical. That thread of yours was simply classic - especially when you had your ass handed to you several times over.

The thread, for reference: link

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 52 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,874
Posts18,497,622
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.