Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jwall
hey Elknh. & milesp-

Those are some great rifles PLUS coming from Dr H.
WOW ..... cool

I will DOUBLE what both of you paid for them.

laugh laugh

Jerry
Ken Howell gave the rifle to me,no money was exchanged.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
HR IC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

laugh laugh

Jerry

YES ! YES !

You MISSED my point. I still will DOUBLE what you paid.
laugh laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

laugh laugh

Jerry

YES ! YES !

You MISSED my point. I still will DOUBLE what you paid.
laugh laugh
grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
No pictures, but, Remington Sportsman 48 shotgun that my Mom bought my Dad for their first Christmas back in 1954. 20 gauge, plain barrel. First firearm I ever shot. Will go to my son in due time...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I bought my 1st centerfire rifle during the summer of 1975 with money earned mowing grass. Paid $250 OTD for this 700 ADL, a 3-9X Bushnell scope, mounts, sling and box of ammo. The gunshop had to install swivel studs since they weren't included. They mounted the scope too.

[Linked Image]

I used this rifle exclusively for for years. About 20 years ago it proved to be one of the rifles that would fire without pulling the trigger. It saw limited use after that and it did it again about 10 years ago and it has been retired ever since. I've been meaning to replace the trigger, but had moved onto better rifles and it got moved to the back of the safe.

About a year ago someone posted the Edge stock for sale used at a decent price and I bought it. Took her out to the range Tuesday and did this at 100 yards and at 200 yards

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Considering I couldn't see the target 1/2 the time because of the snow I think that is pretty good. I came home and finally ordered that new trigger for it. It'll be in Monday and I think it is time to bring her out of retirement.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ken Howell gave me this rifle 18 months ago.

Originally Posted by milespatton
The .280 RCBS gifted to me by the late Ken Howell. One of my most prized possessions. It was on the cover of March-April issue of Rifle Magazine. miles

Hey Guys - let me 'back up' a little.

NOT to derail this thread but...

I really feel you guys are very lucky - not just to have a rifle that belonged to Dr. H but that you had a relationship and friendship such that he gave you a rifle.

That's Very KOOL! ! cool

I didn't know him personally but he and I had several conversations 'here' on the fire. I was glad at the time and even more glad now since he has passed that...

I had opportunities to express my appreciation TO HIM for the help and guidance I got FROM him thru his writings. He was one of some that really helped me in the 70s-80s as I was 'blooming' into a real 'Loony' and I didn't even know that was what was happening. Others passed that I did not get an opportunity to say thanks.

I'll just leave it at that.

Jerry

now back to the thread.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Long story short these two belonged to relatives who were also hunting companions and friends.

The LC SMITH double hammer gun was purchased by Wife's grandfather about 1900. In the fifties, it was given to her father. FIL was my quail hunting guide, companion, and friend. Many super quail hunts together. He was deadly on early season birds as the barrels had been cut from 32 to 28, chokes go

The other was purchased by me for Cousin while I was working my way at college. I bought it on the bosses wholesale account. His kids and grandkids used it. Grand son, who seem ego see me more than grandad for hunting lore, wanted a sling. All he could find was the grass rope. We made a sling.

After a crash that took several lives, including Cousin and Grandson, Cousin's daughter gifted me the Mountie altering hearing the story. The two hang in our home in a place of honor.

Edit. Sorry , I can't post photos on this forum directly from the computer. I don't do photobucket.....
Jack

Last edited by jt402; 02/11/16.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Both German 98's
My Father brought them back from WWII
top one Mine
Bottom one my Brother's
Same Gunsmith did the work
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This Winchester M94 carbine in 32 WIN SPL was gifted to me by a great buddy two days prior to his passing (he knew he was passing and sent for me). Also this Stevens Springfield 20 gauge SxS that my great uncle bought new from my granddad's hardware store during WW-II for my cousin. My cousin and my dad hunted both rabbit and birds with this shotgun in the 1940's and 1950's. When it became mine in 2009 it had been in the packhouse on one of the farms for 35+ years - I refinished the wood and fitted a new buttplate and had a gunsmith clean and adjust the action and polish the bores - it is retired now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
I bought my 1st centerfire rifle during the summer of 1975 with money earned mowing grass. Paid $250 OTD for this 700 ADL, a 3-9X Bushnell scope, mounts, sling and box of ammo. The gunshop had to install swivel studs since they weren't included. They mounted the scope too.

[Linked Image]

I used this rifle exclusively for for years. About 20 years ago it proved to be one of the rifles that would fire without pulling the trigger. It saw limited use after that and it did it again about 10 years ago and it has been retired ever since. I've been meaning to replace the trigger, but had moved onto better rifles and it got moved to the back of the safe.

About a year ago someone posted the Edge stock for sale used at a decent price and I bought it. Took her out to the range Tuesday and did this at 100 yards and at 200 yards

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Considering I couldn't see the target 1/2 the time because of the snow I think that is pretty good. I came home and finally ordered that new trigger for it. It'll be in Monday and I think it is time to bring her out of retirement.

I can see where that blizzard could affect your shooting.. Glad to see you made it out of there...:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No pictures right now, but a 1944 BCD Mauser 98K, my first "deer rifle" Sporterized, in a period Bishop stock Original 8mm barrel etc. blew the budget when I first got married, installed a Redfield peep sight. Think I spent $125 total with the peep site.. It did however provide meat, many deer with this one, and I still have it. Also have an Ithaca 37 in 20 gauge that my son tried to get, as he is a lefty. Got a Browning BPS instead. The Ithaca is my grouse gun.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dad's dad gave it to him when he was 10. He gave it to me when I was 10. My son turns 10 in two years.

It's the only one I have that means anything...

[Linked Image]

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hey, this is GA. They are predicting as much as a foot here Sunday night though. Could be interesting next week.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Custom Interarms Mark X, .338 Howell (338-280 Improved)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very nice.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My son. "High Brass" bought this rifle for me.

[Linked Image]

I bought this 760 the year High Brass was born. It was his favorite rifle.

[Linked Image]

This is my late friend and mentor's custom 243 ground hog rifle, "Sweet Thing". Bob gave me all of his long guns.

[Linked Image]

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, just had to dig this one out of the safe: my first center-fire rifle. I bought it the year that I graduated from high school (1961)--a Model 70 Fwt .30-06. For over 20 years, this was the only "big game" rifle that I owned. I shot most everything with it, from coyotes and bobcats up to elk. I also used it quite a bit for scientific collecting with 130-grain hand loads.

It has been through 3 scopes and two stocks: the ones shown are the 4th scope and the 3rd stock. In the early 1990s, I met a very good stock maker and rifle tinkerer up in Albuquerque. He restocked the rifle for me and restored and refined the metal. It still shoots most hand loads well under an inch at a hundred yards.

I just mounted a new Leupold FX-II 6x36 in anticipation of hunting with it again this fall. It's been a while since we hunted together and I am looking forward to it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mudhen; 02/11/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wow, these are some really nice guns you guys are showing!
Keep them coming!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hoping to keep these around for a while. I bought the rifle with a broken stock from the gun shop I worked at while in College. I got the Beretta a bit over a yr ago having always wanted a SxS I could shoot well, and this one I can.

Beretta 626 26" 20ga. Very early Kimber of Oregon Super America that's been re-barreled with a 1/2 Octagon 1/2 round McGowan in 223Rem:

[Linked Image]

If I'm able to shoot this one well I'll probably keep it around for a bit as well 20ga 28" Beretta 471 SilverHawk:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by horse1; 02/11/16.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Not even for 10 times the original price. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,904
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.