Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have shot Lightfields out of a 12 and 20 with great results. Accurate and lethal!

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
The winning combination I settled on was my 20ga 870, cantilever barrel and Vortex SPARC red dot with the Rem Copper Solids. They have the best mix of accuracy and penetration. And I could buy them at half the price of the accutips.

My experience too with the same gun.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
First, the gun has to tell you what is the best slug. My 870 likes, the rem. 23/4 copper solid, my H&R ultra likes the Hornady American Whitetail 2 3/4 325gr sabot. These two loads shot the best out of several brands that were tried.The remington copper solid is very good. Longest shot is 153 yds. The Hornady load stoned a doe this past year at a lasered 208 yds. DRT. The H&R is most accurate gun/slug combo I have ever shot.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
With saboted slugs costing so much, my intent was to identify those predominantly producing good results while weeding out those that do not. Twenty + years ago when I had my slug gun barreled by E.R. Shaw I did purchase a cross section of what was then available and range tested them all. With saboted slugs costing $13.99-$15.99 and more testing all available becomes a really costly undertaking. Thanks to all who contributed their experiences and input.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
R
i used lightfields with great success in a 20 ga.

FJB
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i bought a hastings barrel for a 870 and bought all the different sabots i could even premiums the lightfield was second best but better price so that is what i used.I forget what gave best 3 shot group

have to find what your gun likes

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pirate
I shoot an H&R Ultra and it really likes the Win sabot with a 50 cal bullet. It shoots sub MOA in the 3 inch but I've never tried them in 2 3/4. As a matter of fact i don't even know if they make them in 2 3/4 but if they do they would be worth checking out.

My cousin got a good deal on one of those some years back, then spent literally $200 trying to find slugs that would shoot straight in it, to no avail. He gave up and sold it and went back to the smoothbore 870 he's used for 35 years or so.

I know others have had great results with them and suspect he had forend issues. He's not much of a guns tinkerer, so if something has issues, down the road it goes.

Sounds like yours is a winner.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/14/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My H&R ultra 12ga love the Hornady AW 325 gr interloc. I will 1 MOA at 100 and at 200 2.5 MOA. I shoots like a rifle. Best 300 bucks I have ever spent. All it need was a trigger job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've gotten more than acceptable accuracy from Lightfields, Federal Barnes Expanders, and Remington Copper Solids. Both my guns shoot the Lightfields well enough that I use them exclusively now. I keep meaning to try some other with sleeker bullets, but I've been too lazy and cheap.

I switched to the Lightfields after Federal discontinued the Barnes loading. Still have 2 boxes of them, just haven't used them.

One thing about the Lightfields, don't be surprised if you don't get an exit. They expand WIDE. I've yet to have a deer go more than 10' after shooting them with one though.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I rather liked the old WW High Impact Supremes in 2 3/4" 12 gauge. Two different 870's with rifled bores simply loved them.
Deer went down fast.
Noticeable difference in effect (compared to reg rifled slugs). Accuracy was very good.
Easy 150 yard rigs back in the day.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Ones you make..
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
^ Now we're are talkin. Good results?

All I use anymore is an H&R 20g and 11-87 12g with open sights. The H&R shoots excellent with 2 3/4 accuptips. However, when Hornady came out with the SST's awhile back, they were the most accurate slug I ever shot. They changed them not too long ago from the SST to the FTX and that killed them for me.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by HawkI
Ones you make..
[Linked Image]

Have a thread anywhere on them? Casting your own? Would like to start rolling my own slugs this summer.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
There is no magic answer, sabots that shoot well in one slug gun may not in another. My Marlin 512 doesn't shoot the Barnes Expanders worth a crap while my A bolt does and my buddies Marlin 512 does.
Only sure thing is to shoot some down range and evaluate

You got that right, Dan! It's been a while since I've lived in a slug-only zone, but that's exactly what I had to do.

I ran a smoothbore Remington 1100 12-gauge for a while, and it shot just about any Foster slug I cared to try into a 6" pie plate at 100 yards. I never worried about what I had on hand, and I killed a bunch of white tails with that gun.

But when I bought my daughter her 11-87 20 ga rifled barrel slug gun, it was a different story! Some saboted slugs wouldn't hit on paper at 50 yards, and some were tack-drivers. IIRC, we finally settled on Hornady saboted slugs with Nosler 250 gr bullets. And since slug ammo is never a sure thing, I bought a freakin' case of that stuff!

If I had the money I've spent over the years testing saboted slug gun rounds at the range I could go on a nice vacation some place warm

No schitt Sherlock!! I went thru EASILY 15 different types of slug ammo to try to find "the one" for my daughter's 11-87, which means a minimum of 2 5-round boxes for each one... and then I bought the case of Hornady/Nosler slugs when I found out how well it shoots.

Crazy expensive. Not to mention the concussions I sustained firing slugs off the bench over and over again! Thank God I don't live in slug country no more...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Picked up a Savage 220 last year to hunt some local slug gun only areas.
I'm using 2 3/4" Accutips.
This slug gun is very accurate, touching holes at 100. Killed a doe with it too. She went about 10 feet before dropping.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by HawkI
Ones you make..
[Linked Image]

Have a thread anywhere on them? Casting your own? Would like to start rolling my own slugs this summer.

BPI carried all the stuff at one time to make them with data using 50 cal. XTP pistol bullets; I loaded and use them sparingly as their data was way too soft but the results were what I was looking for: it shot as well as the Combined Technology PT Gold and my bullet was hard cast softnosed, so terminal results were the same.

Think there's still a few hundred cases and sabots when I get to tinkering again..

About the same time my Dad bought 500 of the Combined Technology slugs before they got hard to find, so I don't really have a "need" to make more.

Shot one doe last year running away, right up the spout with just the straight up heat treat 50 cal. flatnose solid.

Lengthwise all the way out the front; probably not the slug to use if one drives or hunts in large groups, but if casting your own can be made from wheelweights to get about the hardness of a Brenneke (9 BHN) or pure lead (5-7 BHN).

Don't do the Lyman slug mould; they shoot well sporadically because a shot wad isn't up to rifling.

A bit of advice: use the dual pin roll crimper BPI sells; it will save a lot of frustration.

Last edited by HawkI; 02/24/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Brennekes work for me in my Beretta 1301 for social work. 3-4in groups @50yd Not really a sabot though.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There is no magic answer, sabots that shoot well in one slug gun may not in another. My Marlin 512 doesn't shoot the Barnes Expanders worth a crap while my A bolt does and my buddies Marlin 512 does.
Only sure thing is to shoot some down range and evaluate
If I had the money I've spent over the years testing saboted slug gun rounds at the range I could go on a nice vacation some place warm

Dan,
Funny you say that. That is the exact load my A bolt prefers as well...

Last edited by AKwolverine; 02/25/16.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 18,494 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,843
Posts18,537,352
Members74,050
Most Online20,286
17 seconds ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.