Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by shootem
I might have missed this but what procedure for an AR? Does the gas system present a problem? And is a .22 groove difficult to apply the liquid? tia

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13400949/1

I looked in the barrel with my Teslong to monitor the gas ports while cleaning and treating...otherwise nothing special in my single experience with my AR.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I installed DBC in my Bushmaster carbine's chrome-lined barrel when it was new in 2007, without shooting it beforehand. Have cleaned it once since, after around 250 rounds, even though accuracy was still fine. Haven't cleaned it since, and it's still accurate.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Appreciate the tips and info. Have a barrel not yet used. Was going to run a few hundred pushes of lapping compound thru it anyway. “Unfired”’seems like the best time to apply.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have had positive results in everything from unfired barrels to ancient, pitted barrels.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Originally Posted by shootem
Appreciate the tips and info. Have a barrel not yet used. Was going to run a few hundred pushes of lapping compound thru it anyway. “Unfired”’seems like the best time to apply.

My gunsmith who has built several custom rifles for me laps every new barrel with JB bore compound. Every one he has built has been a 1/2 MOA shooter.

Texas bred and born
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I've used DBC in several AR-15's. I didn't do anything special when applying it. These are rifles that get shot a lot in competition, and it does help to prevent a good deal of the copper fouling. However, it doesn't eliminate copper completely and I do clean periodically to remove the copper.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have had positive results in everything from unfired barrels to ancient, pitted barrels.

About how long does it last or should it last?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

IME, the lifetime of the barrel.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It sure works on some of those old pitted barrels.My 1906 38-55 shoots about a 3" group at100 now when previously I had a hard time doing 6" at 50

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Have one of those too. .50 Optima V2 muzzleloader. Was glad to see some comments on that. Still shoots minute of deer at the 50 or 60 yard shots we try to get but it’s time to stop the bleeding at least.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

This stuff sounds good where in Canada can we get it and how much?
Never seen it or heard of it before Mule Deer

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bugger,

The same company makes a product named Dyna Tek Gun Shield. You degrease and warm up the outside metal of the firearms, then apply a thin coating and let it dry. It's invisible--blued guns look exactly the same as before--but protects from rust for at least a couple years before needing to be reapplied. It also results in slicker moving parts.

John,

Would Tec Gun Shield applied to automatic shotgun magazine tubes help cleaning the carbon off the tubes....ie Remington 1100 etc?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have never tried it for that, but would guess it might help.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Partsman
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

This stuff sounds good where in Canada can we get it and how much?
Never seen it or heard of it before Mule Deer

Unfortunately, I’m not aware of any place to buy it in Canada, these days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So once the bore coat is applied to the bore it lasts forever? Nothing would remove it?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
So once the bore coat is applied to the bore it lasts forever? Nothing would remove it?

Correct. According to research it cures to a hardness of 7-9 mhos depending on what it’s applied to it can be harder. At 7-9 mhos it’s as hard as quartz, topaz and conundrum. Only thing harder is diamond.

Swifty
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have just used the DTBC in a Tikka T3 338WM which is the worst copper fouling rifle that I have ever had.
Cleaned the barrel 3 times with Wipe Out foam plus the Wipe Out Accelarator to get down to bare metal as I could see with my Teslong Bore scope. I then put the DTBC in the barrel last Friday and let it stand muzzle down for 3 days. Just got through firing 9 rounds through it to “cure” the DTBC as per the instructions.
I cleaned the barrel with Shooter’s Choice soaked patches only and still have copper fouling in the barrel although not as bad as previously.
(Before using the DTBC, I could see copper build up on the riflings with a very defined edge around the copper with my Teslong bore scope, IOW the copper fouling was BAD!)
Now it a relatively smoothed out line of copper coloring down the rifling near the muzzle. Left the barrel wet with the Shooters Choice and there was a lot of blue on the patches still. Checked it with the bore scope and there is still copper.
So, what next?
One of the posters here mentioned he uses Patch Out. Should I try Patch out or even Wipe Out? Will any of this remove the DTBC as well as the copper??
Also what about Kroil? Would it get under the DTBC and possibly remove it?
Obviously I don’t want to do that…….

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think John recommend using acetone as the last procedure to remove any oils or other contamination from the bore

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ok if I left some Wipe Out residue in the barrel, what do I do now?
Do I try to remove whatever DTBC is left in the barrel to re-apply, and if so, how do I go about that?

Last edited by SoTexCurdog; 02/21/22.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog
I have just used the DTBC in a Tikka T3 338WM which is the worst copper fouling rifle that I have ever had.
Cleaned the barrel 3 times with Wipe Out foam plus the Wipe Out Accelarator to get down to bare metal as I could see with my Teslong Bore scope. I then put the DTBC in the barrel last Friday and let it stand muzzle down for 3 days. Just got through firing 9 rounds through it to “cure” the DTBC as per the instructions.
I cleaned the barrel with Shooter’s Choice soaked patches only and still have copper fouling in the barrel although not as bad as previously.
(Before using the DTBC, I could see copper build up on the riflings with a very defined edge around the copper with my Teslong bore scope, IOW the copper fouling was BAD!)
Now it a relatively smoothed out line of copper coloring down the rifling near the muzzle. Left the barrel wet with the Shooters Choice and there was a lot of blue on the patches still. Checked it with the bore scope and there is still copper.
So, what next?
One of the posters here mentioned he uses Patch Out. Should I try Patch out or even Wipe Out? Will any of this remove the DTBC as well as the copper??
Also what about Kroil? Would it get under the DTBC and possibly remove it?
Obviously I don’t want to do that…….

As far as I know, there isn't a solvent made that will remove DBC. I generally use Montana X-Treme Copper Killer after the curing shots, leaving it in the bore overnight, which generally does the trick. (There's a special corner in my basement for using the stuff...)

As has been mentioned in past threads on DBC, generally the bore fouls during the initial curing shots, but after cleaning that fouling out, the bore generally becomes easier to clean with each successive cleaning--though sometimes a second application is necessary.

Have mentioned before that a .338 WM barrel was the one that really convinced me how well DBC worked. Within 20 rounds it fouled so much the bore was essentially copper-plated, and accuracy went to hell. If I recall correctly, I did apply DBC twice on that one--and after that the rifle would go 75-80 rounds before groups opened up slightly--and any decent copper solvent would remove what little copper was there very quickly.

John Steinbeck
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,881 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,208
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.