Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JGray
"45-70", "long range" and "fun" in the same sentence spells blackpowder, cast bullets and shooting sticks for me. I'd want something that could accommodate a vernier tang site and had some length / weight in the barrel. In fact, I have more fun shooting these two than any other firearms I've ever owned:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

beautiful rifle! Thanks for the awesome pics. Ill add a ladder sight later to the grip.My gunsmith will do it for nothing.Im Not interested in spending $1500 to shoot steel plates while smoking cigars with friends at my local gun club. I shoot Benchrest so I know what it takes to shoot well at long distance but thats not what im after with this rig.

Last edited by barnabus; 03/16/16.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
you cant be all that great at shooting.

Bring your BPCR and a pile of cash to lay on the table, Señor Butthurt,...and we'll see.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
you cant be all that great at shooting.

Bring your BPCR and a p
ile of cash to lay on the table, Señor Butthurt,...and we'll see.

GTC

lol..ur an old fool.How about shutting your pie hole.Im not interested in anything your bloated ego has to say.I wouldnt shoot with for no amount of money.Not because im afraid but because you an ass...plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by barnabus

lol..ur an old fool.How about shutting your pie hole.Im not interested in anything your bloated ego has to say.I wouldnt shoot with for no amount of money.Not because im afraid but because you an ass...plain and simple.

Ur not actually old enough to buy a rifle, are you?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Iv had them all, the H&R Buff hunter is alright for plinking and hunting, I took a whitetail doe at 300yrds with one, but cheated and used a redfield 2 3/4 scope! But for much shooting Id go with the Shilo, or C Sharps, not sure if they are makeing the Balard anymore, had one in 44-77 took a nice Black Bear with it at 40 yrds tho! good luck on what you end up with! I realy need to get another Black Powder rifle!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Ur not actually old enough to buy a rifle, are you?

Texncal....just because u have A big mouth too don't make you a big man

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Im wanting a 45-70 long range gun to shoot paper and steel gongs out to 300 yards off a bench at my local club just for giggles.i plan on sticking with iron sights.I want something accurate. Ive looked at the H&R Buffalo classic but its discontinued.Any opinions?

Damn curious, that someone would post THIS ( above ),...and than go on a goddam crying jag because straight up folks give him their opinion.

Patrick, I think you're right,...this is a pre-pubescent chick, on the threshold of her first period, or something.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Ruger Lyman No.1- with all the goodies....... Great fun

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
try to learn some social media skills and a little humility.

Barnabus, I don't know your story and don't give a Schit, but Crossfire is well known here and is a man of many talents. He can do, and does do, things that many of us can only dream of. On black powder, welding and many other things you will do well to shut up and listen. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by milespatton
try to learn some social media skills and a little humility.

Barnabus, I don't know your story and don't give a Schit, but Crossfire is well known here and is a man of many talents. He can do, and does do, things that many of us can only dream of. On black powder, welding and many other things you will do well to shut up and listen. miles

i dont mind listening to people when they know how to state an opinion without putting their ego in the mix.if u have respect for crossfire and are pals.. good for you but he lost any respect i would have had the moment he came across like he did and still does. im not here to pay homage to any campfire god.if you look at the post responses some people know how to respond on a thread,some dont.so here u are who has no dog in this fight yet u want to keep the pot stirred up.im too busy responding to these stupid post like yours to shut up and listen. you didnt need to respond to this post and you didnt offer anything concerning my question.you just wanted to pile on and be a hero.im sure some other internet ninja will be along soon.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saddlering
Iv had them all, the H&R Buff hunter is alright for plinking and hunting, I took a whitetail doe at 300yrds with one, but cheated and used a redfield 2 3/4 scope! But for much shooting Id go with the Shilo, or C Sharps, not sure if they are makeing the Balard anymore, had one in 44-77 took a nice Black Bear with it at 40 yrds tho! good luck on what you end up with! I realy need to get another Black Powder rifle!

are you speaking of a imported reproduction or something else?

Last edited by barnabus; 03/16/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
im too busy responding to these stupid post like yours to shut up and listen.

Evidently too busy to learn to write properly too. You asked for opinions, you got them, so quit your damn whining. miles

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
[quote]im too busy responding to these stupid post like yours to shut up and listen.

Evidently too busy to learn to write properly too. You asked for opinions, you got them, so quit your damn whining. miles[/quo

ahhh personal attacks works when you have nothing to offer i guess.Quit responding and move on.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
None of the rifles I posted about are inported all were made in the good old USA!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quit responding and move on.

GFY.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Miles, at some point in almost everybody's life, they will be unfortunate enough to own and operate a poorly designed, sloppily assembled, and generally fugged up mechanism.

Rotten extraction / ejection, vertical stringing by design, a stock that could only have been conceived in the throes of a psychotic episode and one that disallows a cheek weld, a TRANSFER BAR (?!), and checkering performed by a dyslexic wielding a dull pickle fork,....well that would probably meet the description.

If that's somebody's idea of a "fun gun",...we'd best just stand back and keep mum, I guess.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Miles, at some point in almost everybody's life, they will be unfortunate enough to own and operate a poorly designed, sloppily assembled, and generally fugged up mechanism.

Rotten extraction / ejection, vertical stringing by design, a stock that could only have been conceived in the throes of a psychotic episode and one that disallows a cheek weld, a TRANSFER BAR (?!), and checkering performed by a dyslexic wielding a dull pickle fork,....well that would probably meet the description.

If that's somebody's idea of a "fun gun",...we'd best just stand back and keep mum, I guess.

You forgot to mention the additional Rifling Twist issue very respected Big Kahuna of Big Bores. smile

Ask for advice...Argue against that advice...Get what you deserve...A subpar chunk of Metal and Wood.

Tell you what...I should have asked and "listened" before I ordered mine, I could have come up with a couple more Dollars and ended up a REAL Firearm.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Quit responding and move on.

GFY.

oh my! Aint we sensitive?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I could have come up with a couple more Dollars and ended up a REAL Firearm.

An older H&R "Long Tom" 12 ga was converted here, moons ago. It was a solid , fluid steel gun, with a real POSITIVE mechanically driven extractor, a bomb proof half cock notch, no stupid transfer bar hangin' up on the opening lever, and a pretty fair stock design.
I sawed the barrel off in front of the chopper lump, I.D. threaded it, and spooled in a take off Pedersoli Heavy Sharps barrel that was shortened enough to get rid of the creepy oversize Italian chamber, and than a "Breeching Ring". Chambered it .45-70 Match.

Fitted it with a nice buck horn and never looked back, ....had a whopping $125 bucks and some time tied up in it.Last I heard, the fella' that I traded it off to was calling it his favorite truck gun.

Nothing essentially wrong with the H&R break open design. Engineers with tertiary syph induced brain damage should have just left the 1890s patent be.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 03/17/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nothing essentially wrong with the H&R break open design. Engineers with tertiary syph induced brain damage should have just left the 1890s patent be.

GTC

grin

I suspect the engineers were told, "save money or else" so they found ways to save money...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,596
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.