Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Owl
I've taken Hunters Education in 2 states. Once as an 11 year old kid, and twice as an adult with my children.

I could produce certificates of completion from both states, and to what avail? Still gotta take Colo's test if I want to hunt there.

I guess it's their state, and their rules.

Where exactly does it state that your out of state certificate ain't valid?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Colorado accepts Hunter Ed from every state. In fact, every state has an agreement through IHEA to accept any state's HE card. But proof of a previous license in some states is proof of Hunter Ed for some states. That doesn't cut it here. But doesn't mean you have to take Colorado's hunter ed either.

Last edited by exbiologist; 03/30/16.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Did not see the pre 1949 section. That is good to know

Are you sure? I have mixed feelings about it..... still, I save $25! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I understand Jack O'Conner once shot a toe off. I took my CO hunting class back in 1980. I still remember most of the stuff.

However I don't always follow the theoretical advice. I remember running with a loaded gun one time. I had just shot an elephant at 30 yards and I ran up to about 15 yards and pumped in two more shots to topple the animal. With 60 lbs a side ivory, I didn't want to lose it, training be damned!

BH63

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BH63
However I don't always follow the theoretical advice. I remember running with a loaded gun one time. I had just shot an elephant.....

Probably not in Colorado.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The speed im able to move with rifle and pack at elevation these days may not be accurately called running anymore but many years elk hunting still drives me to do it - as safely as possible of course.

Hunter education is a great thing and only has a positive influence on our sport. As an old guy who lost his certificate in CA before going to Colorado my local Fish and game office issued me a new one once they verified hunting licenses back as far as their computer went. My grandson is taking the course on line before he goes in person at 10 it was nice to hear him say "papa this is all the stuff you already told me" about 1/3 of the way through.

A refresher is valuable when you hunt in multiple states with slightly different rules, common sense and safe behavior will prevent an accident but might not prevent a ticket.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
However I don't always follow the theoretical advice. I remember running with a loaded gun one time. I had just shot an elephant.....

Probably not in Colorado.

You might be right. I remember about 15 guys with machetes hacking about half a mile through the brush to make a temp road so a heavy duty tractor with a flat bed could haul out the ellie!

In CO, many places don't even allow you to use a wheeled game hauler to get your deer/elk/bear out.

BH63

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's right. And besides the fact that those restrictions are federal (not from Colorado), those are the best places to hunt, with the fewest hunters.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

In CO, many places don't even allow you to use a wheeled game hauler to get your deer/elk/bear out.
BH63

That is only Colorado, but any designated Wilderness areas in the U.S.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Thank God!!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What, you don't hunt with your own flat bed and contingent of machete-wielding coolies?

How uncouth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

BH63

Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Thank God!!

Agreed!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bangeye
I actually think this is a very good idea in a day when a large % of young people are raised by urbanites and or single mothers who may or may not have exposed them to firearms and training. Actually I wouldn't oppose owning a hunter safety or firearms safety card before being eligible to purchase or own a firearm.

Keep legislating to the lowest common denominator and you end up with zero freedoms/rights.

This is the nicest way I can reply "f--k you" to your sentiment.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 4ager

BH63

Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Thank God!!

Agreed!

Yes. The tire on a game hauler causes a lot of damage to the trails.

As opposed to horses which leave no trace.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The tire on a game hauler might not, but the tires on mountain bikes sure do. You couldn't allow one without the other.

The vast majority of NF is open to the use of wheels. So it's pretty hard to make the case that wheel users are being shut out.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't use them at all.

I just think it's funny that a single wheeled cart can't be used to retrieve meat/game but a string of five horses can.

Dave

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There's a few reasons for that. If you take the time to educate yourself on the background, then you'd understand.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
It's not the fact that a game cart tire causes damage.It's the fact that if permitted, bicycles, off road motorcycles, ATV's etc would then also be permitted which really do cause damage. Wilderness areas are designated for primitive areas where the the areas are suppose to be void of modern day man made devices and structures. Live stock were in those areas long before Wilderness areas were designated and 99& of the trails were made with the use of horses or mules.Even today, trail maintenance and materials are still done and/or brought in using horses or mules.

People go into wilderness areas for the solitude,not to listen to the whine of motor vehicle, chain saws,etc. There are trails and locals ,all over the west,and probably the east that are so designated for other uses where livestock is not permitted.

If you want to complain about something,complain abut Wyoming's regulation that you must use a licensed guide or resident to act as a guide for any hunting in wilderness area , but not to hike in the same wilderness area

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That, and a ban on livestock would put outfitters (who'd been operating in those areas for decades prior to wilderness designation) out of business.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've always wanted to do a pack-string hunt up in the wilds of WY or MT (or maybe even CO), and maybe I will some day.

But I do believe 4 or 5 horses spending a week up in the high country do make a bigger environmental impact on wilderness land then a couple of ATVs that stay on recognized trails. But that is JMO.

Just as there are bad ATV riders, there are bad people (including some outfitters) with horses.

Last year an outfitter set up his base camp at a popular trailhead in Colorado. He set up a big canvas wall tent, parked his horse trailers to prevent others from parking in the normal spots, and then put an electric fence around an overflow parking area, so he could use it for a corral!

I could only hope his clients went away empty-handed!

BH63

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,771
Posts18,495,708
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.