Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I have no experience with torsion axles. I understand what they are and how they work.

Any horror stories or strong reasons to avoid them on a GN horse trailer?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have no experience with them but I did find this on the web. A couple notable items from it:
torsion axles can't be repaired. If something goes wrong, it must be replaced
On tandem axles, tire wear is better with springs.

The Torsion vs. Spring Axle Debate Demystified

Definitely go torsion. They have a smoother ride.
Leaf spring is the only way to go! Being able to fix my axles myself is really important to me.

Do these two quotes sound familiar? If you’ve done some searching around the web trying to discern the pros and cons of torsion vs. leaf spring axles, then you’ve probably encountered the myriad of contradictory opinions about which is better. In fact, we get questioned, daily, about the pros and cons of each and thought that we would try to demystify the choice a bit for you. After all, we sell both kinds of trailers and believe that each are great in their own way. So here’s an overview of the two types – torsion and leaf spring – in our attempt to help you make an informed decision on which kind of system is best for you and your trailer.

The Skinny on Torsion Axles

Torsion axles have a straightforward, attached construction with adjustable ride height and a rubberized suspension system. Four rubberized cords are inside the axle housing which handle suspension travel and shock absorption. As each wheel moves up and down, the rubber cords compress offering an even wheel suspension system for a smooth ride.

In addition, this system offers trailer rigidity as the axle is bolted to the trailer frame. With this additional cross member, the frame is stiff and this reduces flex in cross winds and on rough roads. This system is less likely to corrode as each torsion axle tube is galvanized inside and out and there is no metal-to-metal contact.

Because of their attached construction, torsion axles do not have replaceable or repairable parts to deal with when they break. If the axles are ever faulty, you will have to replace the entire suspension system by cutting off the old one and installing new. But, on the plus side of this construction, the only maintenance that you need to worry about is the standard wheel bearing maintenance and lubrication.

Getting Real About Leaf Spring

Leaf spring axles come with the majority of Complete Trailers and have flat, curved leaves stacked on top of each other in several layers that are installed below the axle for the suspension system. This is the most widely used suspension system due to its affordability.

The parts are replaceable and, generally speaking, need more maintenance than torsion axles. However, many prefer them over torsion for this very reason – they can be fixed.

If you have more than one axle on your trailer, the leaf spring system is the most dependable for even tire wear and a steady ride. And, if you’re storing your trailer on uneven ground, leaf spring will hold up better over the long term due to the independent nature of each leaf spring. There are torsion options out there that make for better wear under these circumstances, but this will require an upgrade from any standard system.

These are just a few considerations to take into account when choosing between a torsion and leaf spring suspension system for your trailer. At the end of the day, whether you swear by your axles or swear at your axles depends on your preference and your planned use of your trailer. But perhaps even more importantly, your future satisfaction with your suspension system will depend on your trailer being loaded properly to get the longest wear out of whichever system you choose.

If you want to talk through your needs and which system is best for you, our staff will be happy to continue the conversation. Give us a call!

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
torsion axles aren't as good off-road in the pasture......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tandem torsion axles trailers are less stable compared to tandem leaf spring setups, especially when the load is not balanced over both axles. I have four trailers with capacities in excess of 14k. One is a 16k GVW deckover GN with Dexter torsion axles. It's extremely fussy about how it's loaded and can ride terrifyingly, if the load is not centered just in front of the axles.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingston
Tandem torsion axles trailers are less stable compared to tandem leaf spring setups, especially when the load is not balanced over both axles. I have four trailers with capacities in excess of 14k. One is a 16k GVW deckover GN with Dexter torsion axles. It's extremely fussy about how it's loaded and can ride terrifyingly, if the load is not centered just in front of the axles.
Sounds like you need to weigh your horses and load them in the right order with those axles.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Same article I found via Google research. Thanks.

Looking for info from someone that's used both.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by huntsman22
torsion axles aren't as good off-road in the pasture......

Won't be in "pasture" but will be on gravel roads.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Sounds like you need to weigh your horses and load them in the right order with those axles.

I'm not hauling horses or even livestock. I couldn't imagine hauling livestock on torsion axles. I'd go with leaf springs. The only advantage I see with torsion axles is the low mounting clearance they offer. Unless I needed that, I'd never have them again.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I blew the tread off a tire on the interstate and it snapped the leaf and tore the brake lines off of my dual axle TT. I got super lucky on a Friday at 5:00 and found a place that had all the parts in stock and they fixed me up for cheap. I'm not sure if a torsion axle would have fared better but it was 'fixable'. Trailer tows fine down gravel roads. Since the leaf spring locates the axle you can't go far with a snapped spring, even if you have a spare. I limped 4 or 5 miles with the trailer dog trotting behind me on the still inflated but now treadless tire.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Two things that I've been told and/or read about torsion axles:

1. They provide a smoother ride and are better for critters.

2. Tires wear better (more evenly) with sprung axles.

Are either of those statements not true?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

1. I'm not buying it.

2. Finding good trailer tires that consistently perform is a much bigger concern.

I literally run the wheels off my trailers loading them to their max.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Torsion horse trailers have some 'bounce' when empty. I think they ride better than springers when loaded, though. If a guy is only tossing one horse in the front of a big gooseneck, you may still get that bounce. It's not anything hard on a critter, but I'll bet on a long trip they'll arrive tired-er..... The best way to check the difference is to ride in both while somebody hauls you down the road.....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

1. I'm not buying it.

2. Finding good trailer tires that consistently perform is a much bigger concern.

I literally run the wheels off my trailers loading them to their max.
Not related to the axles, but trailer tires aren't made to last for 50k like truck tires. I wish they were. I switched to radials and get much better life out of them. The big problem is center wear when loaded empty or light. It's a pain but keeping the air lower unless you need to haul heavy will get better life out of them. The radial tires on my utility trailer are rated at 60lb. I found that they last twice as long at 45lb unless I need them higher for a heavy load.

― George Orwell

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I think I'll hold out for leaf springs.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

All of our horse and cattle trailers have torsion axles and all of our flatbeds (gooseneck and bumper bull) have leaf springs.

The leaf sprung trailers handle weight better off-road as the hangers in between pivot to distribute the weight better between the axles.

The torsion axles allow for a lower deck height, but they do have a more pronounced empty "bounce" to them.

I don't see an appreciable difference in tire wear between the two, most of your damage is done while turning on hard surfaces and they're both going to slide the tires.

As far as tires go, I've had the best luck with Carlisle radial trailer tires on the lighter stuff (10k gross and below) and BFG Commercial T/A Radial truck tires on the heavier trailers. I just picked up 8 of the latter last night to put on a dual tandem gooseneck flatbed. Had to replace the set of Coopers that came on it, 5 of the original 8 had experienced tread separations while driving and two more were starting to oval. The tires had 50% treadlife remaining and there are other instances online of that particular Cooper tire giving other people the same problem, yet Cooper refused to talk with me about the tires. Needless to say, they just lost a customer for life.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think I'll hold out for leaf springs.

Absolutely.

I have extensive knowledge about these and Torsion Axles really do suck for many reasons. The most important one being that they are very hard on your Stock. Do your Stock a favor if you care about them and get Leaf Springs. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would also like to recommend something that no one ever does but I have found it to be imperative from now on. Have Shocks and Mounts installed on it! And keep the Shocks in good shape, the difference is incredible but it can only be done on Leaf Spring Axles.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have no experience with torsion axles. I understand what they are and how they work.

Any horror stories or strong reasons to avoid them on a GN horse trailer?

No.

Both of our 20' stock trailers have torsion axles, zero issues other than they do bounce a little when empty. One trailer has been to hell and back and is still going.

I've seen u-bolt breakage with spring suspensions and washouts, chitty trails, etc.. Actually IMHO that is why torsion is better, they don't break(knock on wood).

Obviously not an issue on actual roads.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Sure, Sam, make me change my mind....again. <grin>

Extra bounce empty, does not bother me. And most times it will have either 2 or more horses in it.

Wife was looking at more trailers online and all were torsion. Either torsions are a trend or people are getting rid of them.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't even know you could still buy a 'heavy-duty' stock trailer with spring suspension but imagine you still can.

All I know is they are tough which of course might not be the best option when it comes to providing a cushy rude.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,683
Posts18,475,018
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.