Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Always wanted one of those brownings. Good as I like the picture of the Browning the crow makes it. I hate them dang things and a dead one is the best kind. I have killed dump truck loads of them with a shotgun but never one with a rifle.

Last edited by seal_billy; 02/14/16.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hate Browing SAs and the first time you shoot one and a hot case gets ejected down your shirt sleeve you will too.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22
T/C, again.....

[Linked Image]

Huntsman,

Did you drop the T/C heavy barrel Lynx model into the T/C Classic stock?

Doc

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
What scope mount is that on the Browning?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like about anything better than the ruger 10-22. They just don't fit me for some reason or the other. Without a scope, I can't get down low enough and scoped they feel awkward. Not knocking them for others, the just don't fit me. My all time favorite is the Nylon 66. I bought a used one in 1965 and put it through hell, on purpose, just to see if it would do as advertised. It did, and more. Toughest rifle that I have ever seen. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton
I like about anything better than the ruger 10-22. They just don't fit me for some reason or the other. Without a scope, I can't get down low enough and scoped they feel awkward. Not knocking them for others, the just don't fit me. My all time favorite is the Nylon 66. I bought a used one in 1965 and put it through hell, on purpose, just to see if it would do as advertised. It did, and more. Toughest rifle that I have ever seen. miles

^^^This^^^

Love my old Nylon 66!

My second choice would be my old Marlin Model 60 Carbine with the short barrel.
I love tube fed .22's. I hate magazine fed .22's!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yessir.

web, leupold dd

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nylon 66...Loved mine as a Kid, wore it out. Wish they would reproduce them again, there is definitely a Market for them if they did.

Sounds like it might be time for a "Request Contact" Campaign?

http://www.remington.com/contact-us

Found a working link and submitted my request!

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 02/15/16.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does your classic feed holler* points? Mine would not, out of either magazine. I traded it for a nice Ruger Bearcat that fed holler points, and everything else perfectly. grin

It was nicely accurate, and had a great trigger. Might want to try one again someday.

*so named because they make stuff holler when you hit 'em

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/15/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you wore out a Nylon 66, remind me not to lend you any anvils!😱

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348

They are tough for sure! smile But unfortunately no matter how clean you try to keep them, the Desert and a LOT of Rounds Fired almost everyday over many years of Hunting and Plinking will eventually make one sloppy to the point of concern.

I would buy about 4 new ones right now for Family Members and a couple more very soon for the oldest two Grandkids. Really would like to see them start building them again! smile

I dropped them a line about considering this option. More is better...

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

They are tough for sure! smile But unfortunately no matter how clean you try to keep them, the Desert and a LOT of Rounds Fired almost everyday over many years of Hunting and Plinking will eventually make one sloppy to the point of concern.

I would buy about 4 new ones right now for Family Members and a couple more very soon for the oldest two Grandkids. Really would like to see them start building them again! smile

When I was a kid, my friend had a Nylon 66 and we shot it everyday, until we got 10-22's and marlin 60's... The nylon 66 was a jamming sob.. The marlin's were definitely a lot more accurate, but be careful when taking one apart to clean. Holy fu ck!!!! That's the nice thing about Ruger, they kept it simple...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Seal-billy: I have owned, Hunted with and used just about EVERY semi-automatic 22 rimfire that has been available in the last 50+ years.
Including those made by:
Winchester in models 1903, 74, 77, 63, 190 & 490
Remington in models 24, 241, 66, 550 & 552
Marlins of several models
Browning
Weatherby
Volquartsen
T/C
Tactical Solutions
savage
Some of these latter listed semi-auto 22's were purchased on a whim or with intent to make a profit on them but never the less I shot them and gave them a "fun factor" and accuracy test.
In my experience NONE of the above listed 22 semi-autos I have owned measure up (all around) to the fun factor, reliability, accuracy, ease of loading and value for dollars invested to the Ruger 10/22!
You want an accurate, reliable, fun 22 semi-auto then buy, use and if necessary make a couple of MINOR additions to a heavy barrel Ruger 10/22!
I have NEVER found the accuracy of one of these heavy barrel Ruger 10/22's to be lacking in ANY type of field, small game or Varmint Hunting situation!
I have very few Rifles that I would NEVER consider selling - among those few are my heavy barrel Ruger 10/22's.
The answer to your question is, NONE!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I agree. I also just bought a 10-22T the other day because I've wanted one for so long. I've had some 10-22's that were extremely accurate and some that were absolute dogs!! One particular stainless model I had was a damn good shooter, so I threw it into a nice walnut stock and left the rest alone:

Iron sights at 50 yards with bulk ammo:
[Linked Image]

10 shot group at 50 yards with scope:
[Linked Image]

I've had many different types of semi-auto 22lr's and the 10-22 is the best for my needs...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

When I was a kid, my friend had a Nylon 66 and we shot it everyday, until we got 10-22's and marlin 60's... The nylon 66 was a jamming sob.. The marlin's were definitely a lot more accurate, but be careful when taking one apart to clean. Holy fu ck!!!! That's the nice thing about Ruger, they kept it simple...

Taking it apart for a thorough cleaning was an issue. I would use spray cleaner liberal and blow it out good with a Blowgun then brush the Bore well and re-oil every couple outings. Although others might have had the same Jamming issues you speak of it happened to me very seldom if at all if I remember right.

But my memory is not what it used to be either. lol

Oh I see, you may have talking about the Marlin being a pain to take apart? The Remington wasn't a whole lot easier as I remember. smile

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 02/15/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep, loves fed bulk hp's.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I never found Marlin's or nylon 66's difficult to detail strip and reassemble. Taking a Marlin apart for a thorough cleaning is so simple a cave man could do it.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I do love the 10/22 and it is the easiest to completely strip and clean. The Remington 597 is fairly simple too but the action rods require a little finesse, there is a trick to getting them back in with the springs on them. Once you figure it out its cake.

The 597 also has 2 action screws and is floated from the factory. Great little gun and it's cheaper than the 10/22. Not a lot of aftermarket support but some. I put a volquartsen target hammer in mine and the trigger is nice now, not perfect mind you but very acceptable. I may do the Mcarbo springs and lighten it a little more. Every couple of years someone else comes out with another aftermarket dohicky for it. Tech sights make a peep for it now, I may try those.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I am going to shoot groups at the range at 50yards, the Shilen select match stainless steel bull barrel with Bentz chamber and target 22LR will get small groups.

But if I want to pop a coon in the brain in the back yard at 10 feet with a CCI CB Short, the 10/22 will not do it.

Go to a 1960s Rem 550-1 semi auto or a Rem 572 pump or a Win 61 pump.

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a 572 pump. It was the most inaccurate. 22 I ever owned. I'm sure I got a lemon.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've shot all the others except the TC Classic.

I go back to the 10/22 every time. It gets the job done, simply.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (204guy, 16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 2ndwind, 300s, 26 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,622
Posts18,474,027
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.