Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I found some corroded ammo in my safe.I really don`t want to pull it apart.Is there any other safe way to dispose of this stuff?Thanks,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dig a hole and bury it.

μολὼν λαβέ
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yeah, DEEP hole. Or pair of pliers and pull bullets sideways usually necks will rupture pretty easy. Or put in a bucket of saltwater for a few months...but then what...bury?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The police/fire dept often take old, corroded ammunition.

If not, you can burn it in a hole in the ground. 2 ft is good. Add sawdust and branches soaked with gas. Cartridges in last. Wait a few minutes for the gas to soak in before tossing in a match. We used to burn small arms ammunition in metal boxes we called furnaces. We used metal boxes because some of the SA ammunition contained tracer composition.

Cartridges DO NOT explode. They split open and the powder ignites because of the heat.

We also used to blow them up with C4, but I doubt that's an option for you.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Throw them in the garbage.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Squish 'em with a channel lock pliers and bury in oil filled, sealed gallon can.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Why not just throw them in the garbage and let them be buried in the landfill?

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
take the to the range -- someone will instantly snatch them up for the brass.

I don't save .45auto and without fail there are 5-6 guys lurking like vultures waiting for me to leave....

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Usually you can take to local police station and let them deal with it.

H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Burning sounds like fun. grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=nick]Usually you can take to local police station and let them deal with it. [/quote)

They will likely just throw the ammo in the trash.

μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sometimes, if the ammo's in decent shape and they're knowledgable shooters, they'll give it to fellow loonies.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Huntz
I found some corroded ammo in my safe.I really don`t want to pull it apart.Is there any other safe way to dispose of this stuff?Thanks,Huntz

I've read the whole thread as of 8:20pm tonight.

What's your objection to pulling the bullets/dumping the powder in flower bed/soaking primers in water-oil, etc??

Seems like the simplest way to me.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've disposed of my share of bad ammo in my life. I'm too scotch to throw away perfectly good bullets if they are such and can be pulled. As for the rest, fertilize the lawn with the powder and toss the remains in the trash. Heck I've also gotten rid of some sick odds and ends by just putting them in the garbage and set out by the curb on Thursday mornings. Certainly some corroded ammo isn't a hazardous waste, per se, and who among us has never ever consigned something to the garbage that maybe we shouldn't have anyway?

Taking it to the cops would be the last thing I would do. In my neck of the woods, I would have to play Twenty Questions about where I got it, why I got it, and do I have any more. Bingo, I'm on their radar. Easier to just dismantle it or dump it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Davey Jones locker.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Just put it in the microwave for 3 minutes.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
...or in the woodstove.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The local police take it by me or our range will dispose of it properly, just please don't throw out in trash! I used to work as a garbage man for 5 years and found a fair amount of ammo in the trash. Made me a little nervous, I never had a round go off but some of my old co-workers had. Nothing came out of the trucks but the sides aren't very thick and small diameter rounds can penetrate mild steel pretty easily if they aren't buried in the trash. Chances are good it wouldn't happen but I don't think it's worth it.

(Micah 6:8) "Words are what men live by... words they say and mean." -John Wayne, The Comancheros "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." -Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ammunition that is thrown in a fire, burned or heated cannot "shoot" anything. The reason is, any pressure created upon ignition within the case travels out in all directions, unless contained. There is insufficient pressure to push the bullet away from the case mouth more than an inch or two.

I don't know why this myth perpetuates. It must be the movies or television.

In order for a bullet to be propelled with any force, it has to be placed into a container (like your rifle's chamber) so that the pressure created by the burning gases cannot escape in any direction, except forward, and act on the base of the bullet.

Without this containment, the case splits open, any unburnt powder ignites and you'll hear a pop. Our ovens were nicknamed 'popcorn poppers', a slang term that describes the sound when cartridges are heated and burst inside.

How do I know this? I was in the service for over twenty yrs and used to work explosives disposal ranges as an EOD technician. And that's not Internets storytelling. I recently retired as a civilian after teaching wpns and explosives for 17 yrs, both in and out of uniform.

a short bio - https://www.303british.com/id68.html

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I'd avoid burning. Had a guy in the ER who was burning trash at the skeet range. There where a few live rounds in the trash. When they popped, a primer came out with enough velocity penetrated the web between thumb and forefinger.

Last edited by websterparish47; 02/14/16.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 11 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.