Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For what its worth this is from Barnes FAQ.

Is the 168-grain .30-caliber TSX the same as the 165-grain TSX? Is it really a match-grade hunting bullet?

These bullets have different ogive geometries. The 165-grain TSX incorporates a shorter tangent ogive in the nose profile. It’s designed for cartridges with short magazines such as the .300 WSM and .300 Win Mag. The 168-grain TSX BT has a secant ogive which lengthens the nose profile and has shown superb accuracy downrange. It offers the best of both worlds because it’s also a premium hunting bullet offering exceptional terminal performance. It is best suited for cartridges such as the .308 Winchester, .30-06 and .300 Weatherby

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Model70Guy

What I have found is I'm farther ahead to look at the wounds and the animals reaction, and leave the weight retention, appearance and measurements and what letter of the alphabet they resemble to the guys that write advertisements.

Well said and precisely why I prefer lead core bullets. The coppers may look pretty and dig deep, but that's about all they have over lead cores. For shorter tracking jobs and good blood trials, I'll take lead cord bullets every time.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 168, as you mention, is a sleeker bullet that tends to smallish opening:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bullet penetrated this spruce log in profile after striking a water-filled plastic bottle at around 200 yards; 30-06.

[Linked Image]

This ogive shape has typically opened wide and flat when I've recovered them. I think this is the shape that is referred to as 'tangent'. Few TSX iterations use such a profile.... unfortunately.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No issues with the 300 TSX on leopard from my limited perspective. my hunting buddy & I both used 300 TSX on leopard. Worked fine.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by buffybr

These 180 grain Nosler Partition bullets that I recovered from elk each expanded back to the partitions and lost about 40% of their original weight.
[Linked Image]

I'm thinking "how does it get any better than this?"......but what do I know?

buffy, cool deal on the leopard. Great trophy and great picture. Congrats.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
I am a fan of the TSX, but do not recommend them for cats. My recommendation for lion and leopard is a Nosler Partition or a Woodleigh Weldcore.

From my vast experience of one leopard, one 168 grain TTSX bullet at 3250 fps in his shoulder at 50 yards from my .300 Weatherby. We found him 19 paces from where I shot him.
[Linked Image]

You obviously hit him in the right place!

Beautiful cat.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
High velocity has a very devastating effect on cats and all predators actually. Much more so than it does on heavy antelopes and buffalo

I've seen some rather small cartridges with blistering speed just flatten some rather big predators in my life!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JJHACK
High velocity has a very devastating effect on cats and all predators actually. Much more so than it does on heavy antelopes and buffalo

I've seen some rather small cartridges with blistering speed just flatten some rather big predators in my life!

spot on, as usual

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Shock is what kills cats and drops them at the base of the tree. You want shock over penetration in this department.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bellydeep
[/quote]
...Well said and precisely why I prefer lead core bullets. The coppers may look pretty and dig deep, but that's about all they have over lead cores. For shorter tracking jobs and good blood trials, I'll take lead cord bullets every time.

The quickest elk kill that I ever made was a big 6x6 bull that I shot in one of the Montana Unlimited Bighorn Sheep areas just north of Yellowstone Park. I had backpacked into the unit hunting sheep, so the rifle that I took was my .257 Ackley shooting 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullets.

By the last day that I had scheduled for that hunt I hadn't seen any rams, so when this bull came toward me through the timber bugling, I couldn't resist. He stopped broadside about 75 yards from me and I put one of those little 117 grain Sierras just behind his front shoulder. The bullet went through a rib bone and shredded his lungs, and didn't exit his chest cavity. He simply collapsed dead in his tracks.

The first bull elk that I killed with a Barnes bullet I shot with a 168 grain TSX from my .300 Weatherby. I had spotted the bull and some cows feeding up a hill. I stalked around the hill to about 100 yards to the side of the herd. When the bull stepped into the open, I put the TSX bullet just behind his shoulder and it exited behind his opposite shoulder. At the hit, he spun around 180 degrees, jumped two steps and fell dead.

When I walked up to where he was standing when I shot him, there was blood splattered all over the snow for 15 feet out on both sides of where he was standing and where he ran.

On these two elk, the little cup and core bullet made the shortest tracking, and the mono copper bullet made a 30' wide blood trail. smile

In the picture that I posted of my Mozambique leopard, the big spot in the center of his right shoulder is where the 168 grain TTSX went into him. It exited just behind his other shoulder. When we went in after him at 12:30 AM, we didn't really see a blood trail, but that was moot as he was lying dead in the open creek bed only 19 paces from where I had shot him.

I think the length of tracking has more to do with bullet placement than bullet construction.

Last edited by buffybr; 02/25/16.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Me too.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have never gotten good blood trails with the 100gr 25 caliber TSX or the 180gr 30 caliber TTSX. Exits are very small.
Last season I actually shot a very large cow elk with a 300 ultra at close range with good shot placement. The cow reacted to the shot, so I knew she was hit, but proceed to run 70 yards with no blood trail at all. There where a few specs on the snow where she stood when shot, but that's about it. If that had been a Nosler 180gr BT, which I have used alot in the same rifle I do believe it would have either been a bang flop,or in the least some significant blood on the ground.

Last edited by BWalker; 02/25/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BWalker
I have never gotten good blood trails with the 100gr 25 caliber TSX or the 180gr 30 caliber TTSX. Exits are very small.
Last season I actually shot a very large cow elk with a 300 ultra at close range with good shot placement. The cow reacted to the shot, so I knew she was hit, but proceed to run 70 yards with no blood trail at all. There where a few specs on the snow where she stood when shot, but that's about it. If that had been a Nosler 180gr BT, which I have used alot in the same rifle I do believe it would have either been a bang flop,or in the least some significant blood on the ground.

Exactly my point. Shrapnel causes body trauma. Look gentlemen, all the bullets we have discussed here, kills.

My argument is not that one kills an animal faster than another one, or whether one will make the animal go straight down as compared to being able to penetrate it from the chest through the back legs. That is not my point.
I've grown up, so won't try and change your mind about what works for you, or denounce another bullet. If a guy comes down here with TSX/TTSX, great. I think they are excellent bullets. Maybe the best.
All I'm saying is, that lead core bullets create more body trauma than an expanding solid. I shoot both sets of bullets. Lead core bullets and expanding solids. They each have their place.

When tissue get's destroyed, it sends signals to the brain to tell it, that something is broken, which either creates shock for the animal, or the animal stops to limit the damage. This is just nature doing what it does best in trying to survive.
My dogs will take care of the rest.

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 02/25/16.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 52 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,664
Posts18,474,697
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.