Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Just looking for some feedback on the ranch.I know a couple of guys looking at booking hunts for this coming fall. Any feedback is appreciated. Looking at hunting with Rocky Mountain Outfitters of Colorado on the Fisher Mesa portion of the ranch..thanks in advance

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You talking about the Crazy French in southeast CO? It used to be part of the Ranching for Wildlife program but they had some sort of falling out with the DOW and pulled out of it. There are some big bulls in that area but I don't know anyone that has hunted it since they want a lot of $$$ for their hunts.

Be careful what you ask for because you just may get it someday.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
those are different people. I hunted there in Oct and it was these guys first time on the ranch. I got a 6x6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've hunted a bear tag on the crazy french, back in day through RFW. Took a decade of preference points to draw the tag. Never saw a bear, though there were plenty of them. Exceptionally wet year. That plus most of the area thickly covered in scrub oak. I did however, see hundreds of elk and several bulls 350+.

Granted this was 15 years ago and a lot can change.

The one thing I can tell you is that the ranch was owned by truly a crazy french lady. Evelyne Jung - eccentric won't even come close to her level of crazy. Her husband bought the ranch and wanted to turn it into a wildlife haven. He hunted it himself for awhile, then turned it into a business. After he passed Evelyne took over running the ranch.

The staff that worked for her must have been saintly to put up with her. I don't know about their herd quality nowadays. But I can tell you that the ranch focus was rich european businessmen. Back then the exchange rate was more favorable so it was a little bit of a deal. But the ranch operated on a trophy fee based on the score of your animal. Top trophy fees were near $25k.

I personally would NEVER pay to hunt that property, under her operation. Based on what I saw you'd be better off going with a reputable outfitter, whose intention was to get you an opportunity to possibly shoot an animal. When I was on the ranch the paying clients had a difficult time finding elk big enough for their liking. They were promised 350+. They could have shot mature elk, almost every day.

Things may have changed, and the outfitter you mention was certainly not part of the crazy french ranch when I hunted it. There are definitely elk on that ranch. If your buddies don't have to deal with Evelyne Jung, then maybe it will be alright. If I was hunting that ranch I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the first mature 6x6 bull elk I see, holding out for a 350+ is a recipe for tag soup on that place.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Some years back, I interviewed for a job of Ranch Manager for Evalyne. The ranch was in the red, and obviously in need of some help.
She is indeed an interesting lady! I declined the offer of employment, after the interview- decided I couldn't put up with the constant cigarette smoke.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Thanks for the Replies. I have done research on the new outfitter running this operation and have heard nothing but positive compliments. I was more interested in knowing on herd quality, which seems to be good as far as quality and quantity. Thanks again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,716
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.