Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I know that paypal offers the buyer and seller 3rd party protection......for lack of a better explanation. USPS money orders work great for those on this site.....I have used and excepted those a lot. Do USPS money orders offer similar protection?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If a firearm paypal offers no protection as they are against policy. USPS Money Order would only offer protection if someone other than the intended person was somehow able to cash it. If a scam but the intended person cashes it you wouldnt have any protection. My $.02 for what its worth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
USPS MO can be replaced if lost, but it takes a loooooong time.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jarodjohns
If a firearm paypal offers no protection as they are against policy. USPS Money Order would only offer protection if someone other than the intended person was somehow able to cash it. If a scam but the intended person cashes it you wouldnt have any protection. My $.02 for what its worth.

I also believe that PayPal protection occurs only when you use it for goods and services, but not when you are sending money to family & friends to (avoid the fees).

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Brain fart time......I was talking about selling a welder.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you sell your welder by PayPal, the buyer has 6 MONTHS to file a claim against you.

There are lots of horror stories.

I'd just take a check, wait for it to clear. If a Postal MO gets lost, it takes 60 plus days to get a refund and then only if it doesn't get cashed.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There's always a cashiers check. That's probably how I'd roll... Too many problems with USPS money orders, I've all but quit accepting them. I still use paypal quite often, since I still buy and sell on ebay.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by sawbuck
I'd just take a check, wait for it to clear.
+1
One other thing I've done is have my bank call the bank of the check and verify the funds before I cash it. Although it's not 100% fool proof, it does help ease some tension if you are waiting on a large check to process.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Don't rely on Paypals protection. Not worth $.02

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Something large AND worth a good sum (like a welder) is CASH for me unless I know the buyer well. Too much risk and cost to ship so if they're picking it up from me they bring green.

I use PayPal all the time but not because I trust it.

Only issues with USPSMO are it getting lost in the mail (could happen to any paper form), inconvenience, and having trouble cashing larger ones at a small town PO.

Cashier's checks are just about as if not easier to fake than a personal check so I don't take ANY kind of check unless the buyer agrees to wait until the check clears.

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sawbuck
I'd just take a check, wait for it to clear.

Simple enough.

Black Cows Matter!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just my two cents...

I do not use pay pal or money orders...if a seller does not want my personal check then I obviously do not need whatever he is selling...I am perfectly content to wait until the check clears...

I have only had one transaction on this site and it was a sale...I offered to take a check but the buyer sent a money order...an unnecessary trip and expense on his part...

As I said, just my two cents...don't mean to offend anyone...

Cheers/bg

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Postal money orders are fine. Send by certified mail for safety's sake.

You can bring your stub to the post office and they will look it up to see if it was cashed.

Over 10 years and nary a problem (knock wood).

HM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm for personal checks with time to clear.....more so nowdays.

A cashier's check can have a stop payment issued.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
For big stuff that gets picked up-cash only.

For big stuff to be shipped, I will do a check or USPS MO, but I am holding shipment until it clears.

For small stuff, I will take pretty much paypal, cash, Check, or USPS MO. but I hold shipment until I see it clear.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've had good luck with paypal's protection, including a bad transaction with a scumbag (sawcarver) on this site.

I'm hesitant to send a personal check to strangers since it contains all of the data for that account. I do it on this site, but wouldn't on others.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Personal checks clear in 1-2 days (i.e. I can pull up my check (that a seller cashed) on-line and see the signature endorsement)... and send it to the seller if he has any doubts that it has cleared).

Personal checks (or having my bank cut the check to a "Payee" is super easy and safe... and saves me a stamp... and they stay in my list of Payees for the next time... literally 10 seconds and done the second or third time.)

If the seller turns out to be a bum... dogg his butt and put him in jail.

I HATE Paypal and making the Ultra Rich even richer.

As for F2F... agree... CASH ONLY EVERY TIME.

Last edited by CashisKing; 02/16/16.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I wonder why so many on a site like this use paypal with their clear position of being anti gun and anti hunting.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Cash is king... However, PayPal is instant and for small purchases works fine for me. Sending payment by PayPal "friends and family" eliminates costs on both ends and I do get some satisfaction using paypal's money to fund my hobby. USPS money orders are demanded by many people that believe they are so safe... News flash - most post offices don't have cash on hand to redeem and banks hold them to clear just like checks due to potential fraud. For large purchases, I get a bank check straight from the teller and go with that. If someone does not accept my bank check, just send it back to me and keep your stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boliep

I wonder why so many on a site like this use paypal with their clear position of being anti gun and anti hunting.

How anti-gun can PayPal be when you can use it to pay your NRA membership?

NRA Endowment Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,517
Posts18,509,595
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.