Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just received my copy of Wind and the Water by Lenora Huntly Conkle with Jim Rearden. Mine is signed by Mrs. Conkle in 1991.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We'll be awaiting a review!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just received my DVD from the Shebals. This Is My Alaska.
Looking forward to a little time to sit and watch it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Ed was being generous.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We might have to talk about the dvd, I tried to internet order it and found you have to call and have not made the time to do that yet...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes, by phone only. They are outside for the winter. They are in PA. I had to leave a message, but they called back.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Through the first 6 chapters of the Conkle book by Rearden. The Conkles are some tough folks and are attacking Alaska with determination and a growing love.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by batch
I think Ed was being generous.

Thanks, Phil. I was trying to keep it a family-friendly post. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In regards to Chris Batin, I've enjoyed quite a few of his articles in Outdoor Life and also his book.
I understand there is a literary license used by all authors so I appreciate the extra mile they go, to make a sometimes stale story exciting and enjoyable to read.
I really liked his article entitled "Cub Killer" (I think that was the title.) in Outdoor Life years ago. -tnscouter

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I have told the story here before, but the abridged edition is Batten was caught on video by a friend of mine cutting my friend's young daughter's line when she hooked a king salmon.

POS is too kind...

Sitka deer, I haven't heard the story before and was curious to the reasons behind Batin's actions. Is it cool for you to expound on that or is it better left alone? I'd like to hear about it. Thanks -tnscouter

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Friend was fishing in his boat, anchored in the Talkeetna River with his son and daughter, both young teens or a little less. They were in the hole before anyone else, it was still early.

Batten came in and anchored very close and immediately downstream of them... an azzhat tactic called "lowholing"... especially poor form as he had a boatload of charter customers and a big hole to choose a spot in.

Very quickly after Batten showed up the daughter hooked a good king and it did what they do and ran downstream. My friend was videotaping the whole time and looking through the camera.

The line almost immediately went slack... video review shows Batten pulling out a largish knife and cutting her line. The proof is very clear.

Just watching him in his presentations is painful... oh, and he is quite short...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might just want to search Amazon for books on Alaska, then look at all the entries.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1495307565?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Rupert

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks RupertBear, I live on the Amazon website. Finished the Bud Conkle book by Rearden. I really enjoyed it. I have read the Heimo Korth's book, and a book on whaling and living on the North Slope in the 1930s and 40s I believe. Damn I can't remember the name of it. I need to check my little library.
Yeah, I also read the book about the young man that lived in a bus near Mt. McKinley(Denali). He didn't survive.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I gotta get Heimos book now after having seen them on the tube.... I hear the show is coming back and might be even better this time, even though last time didn't have as much crap drama as "non reality" shows generally do...

Working on Bear Man Of Admiralty Island right now since Carolyn just finished it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Yeah, I also read the book about the young man that lived in a bus near Mt. McKinley(Denali). He didn't survive.

Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer

You are correct.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Krakauer book is a good read, but it's not a 'living and hunting in Alaska'book.

More like 'misguided hoofing and starving in Alaska'. But the lad had enthusiasm, I'll grant him that.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a book...a blog, but a quick read on a first person detail that almost didn't get written:

http://livingthedream-kathy.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-plunge.html

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just remembered a very good read by Frederick Kent "Gene de Large." They built a cabin on Chandalar Lake and spent a month there every fall and the book is almost diary-like, but very well written.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The book about Heimo is good, think you'll enjoy it Jeff, but it doesn't really do him justice, course if you saw him on tv??? Maybe you can glean some of what I mean

The guys a hoot and a very good outdoorsman

I really like nick Jan's early stuff when he still lived in ambler

He's a good writer and had interesting stories to tell

Then he moved to Juneau and went all bunny hugger

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,641
Posts18,474,495
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.