Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For any of the guys fussing about liability of the land owner for hunters on their property, has anyone checked the property liability laws in Texas ?

I know nothing about Texas, but in Ohio and some other states there is a state law that prevents the landowner from getting sued by people he gives permission to hunt on his property.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
JoeBob nailed the big reason Texas has a BIGGER problem with feral hogs than any other part of the U.S., corn feeders, the "Texas state flower."

While some landowners, or the people who lease their hunting rights, only have feeders running during deer season, that's a pretty long season, and any extra nutrient source is going to enhance the ability of pigs to reproduce. Plus, the outfitters who offer pig hunts often keep feeders going longer, to attract pigs, or "corn" roads to draw them out of the brush so clients can kill them easier.

You can kill all you want, by whatever method, but if humans keep providing lots of high-calorie pig food, they're going to keep producing piglets faster than they can be killed.

I've hunted feral pigs in other states, some with far better pig habitat, but never seen as many as there are in Texas.

I agree with most of this. The only problem there is a lot more land in Texas that is not hunted than land that is hunted. They still have plenty of hogs. Hasbeen

A local problem I'm dealing with( I've killed more hogs so far there than anyone else thats tried) is a similar situation... the pigs come from land and thickets no one is allowed to touch. As long as you rely on them coming out to forage and you having to time the killing right and thats after dark every time, its almost impossible to do much of a dent without a large trap. Even tannerite won't do the trick.

My next step is cattle panels and keep trying to feed them a bit and finally close the panels to a gate eventually...that could take months, and will get the majority if not all of this particular sounder.

Problem will be it won't be the only sounder, just the current one.

And in months 25 could turn into 100...or more very easily.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by speedsixman
For any of the guys fussing about liability of the land owner for hunters on their property, has anyone checked the property liability laws in Texas ?

I know nothing about Texas, but in Ohio and some other states there is a state law that prevents the landowner from getting sued by people he gives permission to hunt on his property.

Myron

I mentioned a lawsuit here in TX earlier... must be no protection...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JoeBob
All the Texas guys say that feeding has nothing to do with, yet nowhere has hogs like Texas. It isn't that there wouldn't be hogs without deer corn, it is th difference between two litters of piglets a year and three. Over time, that extra seven or eight pigs a year made possible by supplemental feeding adds up.

The place I have the issues with, currently, the pigs won't come until after dark. The feeders dont' do anything other than to keep them coming to snoop basically... the deer eat the feed 99% of the time well before the pigs ever have a chance to come...

And the place I"m on has zero feeders to start with yet the pigs are there for the wild onions, and the bahia... natural forage. I keep them around now with feed so its not so much of a wild goose chase as to when they show, and keep a couple of cameras on 24/7 so I know whats going on.....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rost495
All the Texas guys say that feeding has nothing to do with, yet nowhere has hogs like Texas. It isn't that there wouldn't be hogs without deer corn, it is th difference between two litters of piglets a year and three. Over time, that extra seven or eight pigs a year made possible by supplemental feeding adds up.

The place I have the issues with, currently, the pigs won't come until after dark. The feeders dont' do anything other than to keep them coming to snoop basically... the deer eat the feed 99% of the time well before the pigs ever have a chance to come...

And the place I"m on has zero feeders to start with yet the pigs are there for the wild onions, and the bahia... natural forage. I keep them around now with feed so its not so much of a wild goose chase as to when they show, and keep a couple of cameras on 24/7 so I know whats going on.....

It really doesn't matter if that place has feeders or not. This extr litters made possible by the feeders five miles over have to go somewhere.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We have an Amish population in Southern Minnesota
that has a problem with inbreeding. They will go into town and recruit men to come and breed the women. They say the clothes have to stay on and the women stay under a blanket while the husband watches to make sure you follow the rules.
I think they pay cash too.
Anyhow if a rancher could publish contact info
and display it at the Deer Classic in Yankeeland.
(Minnesota) or Cabelas. It would help.
I am retired and would be more than happy to help out.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
IMHO we have more litters due to no winter ever.

This part of TX there are not that many deer feeders adn even 10 years ago they were almost totally non existant...

When you can buy beer with your money or corn and a feeder, you buy beer.. for most locals...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our hog population seems nomadic, but never really leaves. We don't see them that much during October/November due to all the hardwood bottoms around our property (refuge) and the mast crop they become preoccupied with. When all the acorns are gone in winter, they come back to the piney hills and root everything up. We hunt them occasionally over 4-5 corn feeders we keep running just for that purpose. As long as we're not hunting them constantly, they don't get too spooky. It can be fun for the springtime.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of arm chair quarterbacks in here that feel the need to chime in about something they don't know about, are not educated about, and have no clue as to the real problem, it's root cause, or what to do about it.

Some of the funniest replies have been from some pretty surprising sources here.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by speedsixman

Myron

Most serious hunters in Texas lease, at least, some land. One of the requirements for leased land is that it is not sub-leased. But, I'm pretty sure that most of these guys are just trying to be nice about saying "no"...kinda like when you're retarded neighbor asks to borrow your car "Uhhh...I'd like to but my insurance won't let me.". Any of you guys that I don't have on ignore are welcome to come hunt with me. It ain't easy though.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
So what about deer and hogs? Lots of people say hogs are detrimental to deer. I really haven't seen that yet. While I know hogs will eat some fawns and compete for acorns, we have enough year around browse out of the reach of the hogs that I don't think it is all that much of an issue. Although, I might well be wrong.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So what about deer and hogs? Lots of people say hogs are detrimental to deer. I really haven't seen that yet. While I know hogs will eat some fawns and compete for acorns, we have enough year around browse out of the reach of the hogs that I don't think it is all that much of an issue. Although, I might well be wrong.

We see boars chasing young deer all the time. I can't say as that I've ever heard of one catching one, but it's probably not good for them.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pigs will eat their own young if hungry enough. They certainly will eat whitetail newborns and fawns. A group of pigs will leave a smell in the area that will spook mature deer. Grunt like a pig when a deer is in front of you and see how they react. Tom

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell

We see boars chasing young deer all the time. I can't say as that I've ever heard of one catching one, but it's probably not good for them.

Are they running them or just chasing them out of the way?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hogs will kill fawns, but you don't catch them at it often. I doubt it occurs too much.

There's lots to be learned by the general public and publications like this one are out there, free for the reading.

http://plumcreek.tamu.edu/media/10192/feralhogpopulationgrowthdensityandharvestfinal.pdf

To say that the feral hog problem can solved by hunting, or it's root cause is deer feeders is pure horseschidt. (Sorry John, but nothing even comes close to substantiating that.)

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

They're definitely running them, but it's no contest and I don't understand why they do it, unless it was good to them when the fawns were little.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Hogs will kill fawns, but you don't catch them at it often. I doubt it occurs too much.

There's lots to be learned by the general public and publications like this one are out there, free for the reading.

http://plumcreek.tamu.edu/media/10192/feralhogpopulationgrowthdensityandharvestfinal.pdf

To say that the feral hog problem can solved by hunting, or it's root cause is deer feeders is pure horseschidt. (Sorry John, but nothing even comes close to substantiating that.)

Nope, no evidence at all. No wildlife biologist would ever utter such nonsense.

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2013/08/louisiana_deer_hunters_unwitti.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And I've seen deer almost abandon feeders and food plots when hogs show up hard and heavy. The cameras prove it.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

They're definitely running them, but it's no contest and I don't understand why they do it, unless it was good to them when the fawns were little.

That is kind of weird.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Some of the funniest replies have been from some pretty surprising sources here.

Finally!!!! Recognition!!!!!! laugh

Thanks Barry!!!! LOL!!!

(Jez funnin')

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/18/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 59 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,358
Posts18,488,022
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.