Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hell even here in California hunting is year round and as many as you purchase tags for.

Phil

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As long as there are areas for pigs to retreat to and not be pressured they will multiply and thrive. Around here there are military reservations (Camp Bullis 28,000 acres) mostly cedar with few roads, state parks that don't allow hunting and ranches and so on. Never gonna control them through hunting. Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Right. The only place that it's illegal to kill hogs around here are the numerous State and Federal wildlife refuges.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by ltppowell
There are only three things that are really bad for deer. Dogs, drought and the rut.

Deer will be thrilled to know disease, wolves, coyotes, bears, and cougars are no longer a threat to them. I'll be sure and pass the word along.

Don't forget deep snow and poor habitat.

I reckon you can include Volvos and meteorites if we want to get technical.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
4ager
Feral hogs CAN be eliminated from an area or state (it's been done). However, the problem has to be identified FAST, it has to be contained as quickly as possible, and the means of eradication have to be brought to bear ASAP and kept up until eradication is completed.

It's just like any other infestation problem; if you don't get on it in the infancy and you let it get out of control, then you're screwed.

One can expand that concept to roaches, or illegals, or radical muslims, or any number of other problems - the solution is always the same, and it's always to fix it EARLY. Once it reaches a certain point, you've got Hell to pay.

A Texan who owned a game farm in Wisconsin brought several hogs from Texas and let them loose on the farm to hunt. A bunch of them escaped and became a problem. The Wisconsin DNR told the public to shoot them on sight.

650,000 deer hunters a year in the field and DNR sharpshooters helped the general public, plus I am sure the wolves got a few. Wiped the feral hog population out.

[/quote]

It was interesting while it lasted.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
How did the hogs that ran wild around the southern areas of the country less than 100 years ago all get wiped out until recently?

What worked then that won't work now?

They never got as thick as they are now. They were harvested every year in the fall through community hunts with dogs and lots of people. Plus, things weren't as thick then as they are now. Most of these bottoms and thickets out there now we're cotton and corn fields back then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
And I've seen deer almost abandon feeders and food plots when hogs show up hard and heavy. The cameras prove it.

My friend shot video of deer being run off a corn pile by turkeys. Must be sensitive souls.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TomA
As long as there are areas for pigs to retreat to and not be pressured they will multiply and thrive. Around here there are military reservations (Camp Bullis 28,000 acres) mostly cedar with few roads, state parks that don't allow hunting and ranches and so on. Never gonna control them through hunting. Tom

Spent some HOT summer days and nights at Bullis during my Army days. Saw a fair amount of game, turkeys, etc. It's a shame they don't allow hunting in there. Would be a good place to kill some hogs.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Hard to believe with Texas' lax hunting regulations... just look what the nation was able to do with the buffalo herds! Hell I think most people prefer rely on pork more so than beef, problem should be easy to cure.

Phil

Funny you mention that. Somewhere around 95% of the hogs I've whacked in the course of an eradication program went to a non-profit whose primary function is to give wayward lads a second chance. The judge sez something like "Boy, I ought to hang you but I'm going to give you a choice. Jail or XXXX."

They almost always go for the second chance. They greet me with knives in hand and eat pork for a few days or weeks. There's usually 50-60 hungry boys there. They nearly messed their drawers one day when I dropped 5 hogs on them at one time. That's a lot of skinnin'...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by TomA

Spent some HOT summer days and nights at Bullis during my Army days. Saw a fair amount of game, turkeys, etc. It's a shame they don't allow hunting in there. Would be a good place to kill some hogs.

DF

They used to allow hunting by drawing on Bullis. Least they were 8-10 years ago. That may have changed. Seen some big deer there!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK ..my cold weather wolf idea got shot down....how's about we load up teaxs 😂 with a bunch of japs/Asians...they did a fine job of killing all the game in Korea during the big war ...hell they even took all the trees! The way dogs and cats are gone from a city once their settled in is F/ing amazing!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
..just trying to help ...or I could coming down an shoot few ,just to do my part! 😀😀

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunting is allowed there but only during regular hunting seasons and usually weekends only. I have bow hunted there for 26 years and it has gone from no pigs 4-5 years ago to groups of 15-20 pigs coming to my feeder 2-3 nights a week last year. They are mostly nocturnal but I did get 2 last year. Large areas of land behind the ranges as well as main base area are off limits to hunting. Feral Hog study is currently underway there. Tom

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
To win a war on feral hogs, land owners need an attitude adjustment. Have to forget that they are food animals and think of them as enemy animals. It needs to be OK generally to get over the idea of wasting food, and start poisioning them like coyotes used to be poisioned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Hard to believe with Texas' lax hunting regulations... just look what the nation was able to do with the buffalo herds! Hell I think most people prefer rely on pork more so than beef, problem should be easy to cure.

Phil

How many litters of calves does a buffalo cow have per year?🙄

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No doubt, if someone comes up with a truly effective method of eliminating the hogs, the Protectors of Pigs and the Texas Historical Society will go to court and get an injunction to stop the slaughter of these historic relics of the Spanish Expeditions...

not to mention, Old Yeller.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As long as feral pigs bring in as much money as they do to state and local economies they'll never be eradicated.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mudhen
Too long to post here, but worth a read if you have the time:

http://www.chron.com/sports/outdoors/article/Texas-losing-war-on-feral-hogs-4685490.php

I guess I should stop wishing we had them in Oregon in huntable numbers.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You should ,you are part of the "we" you have mountain deer of various species to hunt

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
As long as feral pigs bring in as much money as they do to state and local economies they'll never be eradicated.

Ain't no money to speak of made from hog hunters.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (338reddog, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 34 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,245
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.