Hop To
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
As long as feral pigs bring in as much money as they do to state and local economies they'll never be eradicated.

Ain't no money to speak of made from hog hunters.

Yeah....sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big proponent of the money hunting and fishing brings to small local economies. It's a great thing. From food, beer, ice, gas, butchers, guides and waitresses all benefit. How much will the local economy benefit from 26 good dudes descending upon Crystal Texas? How much are out of state licenses and tags? How much is a lease? How much corn gets involuntarily donated to feral pigs? It all adds up.

2016 Campfire hog hunt 3/9/16-3/13/16(Wed-Sun)
Arrive Wed. Afternoon hunt Thurs.-Sat. and depart Sunday a.m.
All meals and lodging, 3 hogs on 14,000 acre ranch(5000 high fence 9000 low)
45 blinds so no doubling up unless you choose to.
3 to a room each room has its own bathroom with shower
Cost for every thing(excluding license,butchering and tips) is $750.00
We will be hunting near Crystal City TX once again
There WILL be hogs to shoot!
We will have a max of 26 hunters,and again previous attendees will have 1st dibs.

Here is a link to the ranch

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
How did the hogs that ran wild around the southern areas of the country less than 100 years ago all get wiped out until recently?

What worked then that won't work now?

the depression, i would guess.

Idaho's elk population recovered from the depression just in time for the feds to turn the wolves loose on them.

The boys in Texas are welcome to all the wolves they want to trap and transport.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's not a drop in the bucket compared to deer hunting by locals in that same area.

There just aren't many large scale hog hunting operations around. Certainly not enough to have much impact on the economy.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
How did the hogs that ran wild around the southern areas of the country less than 100 years ago all get wiped out until recently?

Idaho's elk population recovered from the depression just in time for the feds to turn the wolves loose on them.

The boys in Texas are welcome to all the wolves they want to trap and transport.

Screw worms were the limiting factor. Screw worm eradication helped the livestock, deer, and unfortunately the pigs.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting how people who are NOT landowners always want free access to land? If you folks think hogs are such "pests", why would you even want to hunt them? I have hogs on my property, much prefer them to trespassers! Even here in Texas, they kinda frown on us shooting strangers we catch on our property, but not so the hogs!

Also, the ones who spout off the most nonsense about the hogs situation, naturally, are the ones who know the least about it.

Since Flave doesn't seem to be around, I'll say it - GFY!

Lots ya'll will never know about the hod situation down here, or a lot of other things.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's exactly the question I'm asking Mike. WTF would anyone pay to hunt a feral and invasive species is beyond me.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The "you owe me something" non-land owners are easy to spot and fun to laugh at. They don't have a clue.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Interesting how people who are NOT landowners always want free access to land? If you folks think hogs are such "pests", why would you even want to hunt them? I have hogs on my property, much prefer them to trespassers! Even here in Texas, they kinda frown on us shooting strangers we catch on our property, but not so the hogs!

Also, the ones who spout off the most nonsense about the hogs situation, naturally, are the ones who know the least about it.

Since Flave doesn't seem to be around, I'll say it - GFY!

Lots ya'll will never know about the hod situation down here, or a lot of other things.

Excellent post.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Screw worms were the limiting factor. Screw worm eradication helped the livestock, deer, and unfortunately the pigs.

Hogs were never "wiped out". At least not here. During the great depression, the woods were full of hogs and were considered somebody's property.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Hogs were never "wiped out". At least not here. During the great depression, the woods were full of hogs and were considered somebody's property. [/quote]

I was born and raised on the Concho river just east of San Angelo, Texas. This part of west Texas is covered up in WT deer and has been since before I was born.
My father on the other hand never saw a WT deer until he was 15 years old and that was near Houston. According to him we have always had hogs along the river bottoms but the deer only showed up after several truckloads were brought in from south Texas to a big ranch west of town in the early 1950's.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Same here. My parents and their siblings were dirt poor and raised in the red lands of East Texas, living off the land. I'll never forget my uncle (who would be 100) telling me that he was 18 before he ever saw a live deer.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Then why so much bitching about hog problems? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Same here. My parents and their siblings were dirt poor and raised in the red lands of East Texas, living off the land. I'll never forget my uncle (who would be 100) telling me that he was 18 before he ever saw a live deer.

My granddad was the same. He was born and raised in Llano County, and told me when he was a kid, there were no deer there.

Someone must have put a bunch of automatic deer feeders out every few steps in the 50's and 60's for the population to have grown to what it is in that county now... whistle grin

Jeffbird hit on a factor that is seldom recognized as the epic event it was for wildlife and livestock survival.

Good job, Jeff.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On that note, it is estimated that the whitetail population of the entire United States was 250,000 in 1900.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

My granddad was the same. He was born and raised in Llano County, and told me when he was a kid, there were no deer there.

Someone must have put a bunch of automatic deer feeders out every few steps in the 50's and 60's for the population to have grown to what it is in that county now... whistle grin

Jeffbird hit on a factor that is seldom recognized as the epic event it was for wildlife and livestock survival.

Good job, Jeff.

I'm always the first to laugh at an Aggie joke but it was some folks at Texas A&M that came up with the method to eradicate the screw worm. It's development completely changed the game for livestock and wildlife in the south!

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On that note, it is estimated that the whitetail population of the entire United States was 250,000 in 1900.

Some fairly recent estimates of a few states on deer populations.

Texas 3,748,000
Michigan 1,900,000
Mississippi 1,750,000
Wisconsin 1,600,000
Alabama 1,500,000

Musta been all those deer feeders...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
Just because the current route isn't working doesn't mean a different approach can't.

A different approach would work really well. Ya see , in Wisconsin we got rid of them faster than you can slap a tick. They never even got a foot hold. The reason is , us Wisconsin boys know how to hunt. In Wisconsin we drive deer quite a bit and many get some bruiser bucks. I doubt those hogs are not any smarter than an old buck, NO WAY!. It seems, ( Texas boys , dont get hurt now) that you all sit in box blinds. You can't hunt hogs like that . One poster even said , he could have a hog by noon but it would be 2 weeks before one would come back in the same field. There is no reason you can't get drives going and push them enough for them to make a mistake. Good shooting and safety is a must however. Also, we have had these conversations before about hog problems. Lawsuits always come up. It is an excuse . I have hunted in Wisconsin all my life and NEVER heard of a lawsuit. NOT ONCE. And if you guys with hog problems are so selfish , then let the hogs ruin your land. And dont tell me I dont let others hunt my land. We do, we also let the neighbors hunt a bit, walk along our river, walk their dogs ETC. We are happy to share our land, of course , within reason and never asked for a penny. Not bad for a bunch of Yankees huh Steelhead.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My dad tells me that when he was a kid in the 50s that if someone saw a deer track they went to town and told about it as a big deal.

As for deer feeders, they have nothing to do with deer numbers as that deer only breed once a year and they provide little in the way of nutrition for them. On our place, the deer won't eat corn. They prefer other stuff. All you get are pictures of coons and hogs on the corn.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I was surprised, when reading "Journal of a Trapper, that Osbourne Russel who was born around 1800 and lived in Maine had never fired a rifle until he went West around 1830.

Apparently game was not nearly as plentiful by that time as I had always imagined.

In 1960, when I left for the Service, I would have to travel 20 miles to find deer. When I came home in 1964, they were all over this country.

There had always been wild hogs in the Squaw Mountain area in Northern Jack County but they had never migrated west of HWY 281 into Young County.

In the 'seventies, a couple of brothers who owned a ranch in the Squaw Mountain are rigged up a trailer with a trap door and caught hogs. Leasing pastures for deer hunting was becoming common by then and hunters would pay the boys to bring a trailer load to a pasture they had leased. They would feed them corn and water them in the trailer for a few days, then release them with a corn feeder placed where the trailer had been.

I know of three pastures, myself, here in North Young County where this was done.

In a very few years, hogs were plentiful all the way from Squaw Mountain to Jean. They seem to set up boundaries and stay in those boundaries for a long time. I saw the same thing in Cottle County, out under the Caprock. They stayed in pockets, even though the country adjacent to them was just like the area where they were established. Then they would suddenly appear miles away.

Just like W T deer, they use the rivers and large creeks as migration routes when they do spread out.

One of my long time M D hunting partners has a flying service in rice country and has a helicopter used strictly for facilitating rice "breeding" and killing hogs, since they are death on a rice field.

They do little damage to range land, wheat, or cotton, but play hell with a hay field.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
Just because the current route isn't working doesn't mean a different approach can't.

A different approach would work really well. Ya see , in Wisconsin we got rid of them faster than you can slap a tick. They never even got a foot hold. The reason is , us Wisconsin boys know how to hunt. In Wisconsin we drive deer quite a bit and many get some bruiser bucks. I doubt those hogs are not any smarter than an old buck, NO WAY!. It seems, ( Texas boys , dont get hurt now) that you all sit in box blinds. You can't hunt hogs like that . One poster even said , he could have a hog by noon but it would be 2 weeks before one would come back in the same field. There is no reason you can't get drives going and push them enough for them to make a mistake. Good shooting and safety is a must however. Also, we have had these conversations before about hog problems. Lawsuits always come up. It is an excuse . I have hunted in Wisconsin all my life and NEVER heard of a lawsuit. NOT ONCE. And if you guys with hog problems are so selfish , then let the hogs ruin your land. And dont tell me I dont let others hunt my land. We do, we also let the neighbors hunt a bit, walk along our river, walk their dogs ETC. We are happy to share our land, of course , within reason and never asked for a penny. Not bad for a bunch of Yankees huh Steelhead.

Watching you tough guys "drive" hogs around here would be worth BIG money.

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 14 invisible), 825 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,903
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.