Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Anyone ever come across any shotshells in .41 magnum?

I've looked around and have not found any such loads.

I do not reload so that's not an option.

Thanks for any info.

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
None exist, commercially. I believe only CCI loads shotshells, and they do not load .41 Magnum variants.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
disregard

just saw you don't reload...

Last edited by RWE; 01/27/16.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Here is one...

http://www.acmebulletcompany.com/product-p/41ss.htm

There is a second company who used to sell 20 round boxes on GunBroker and AuctionArms who had a capsule style load just like the Speer...I can not remember their name however and none of their products are listed right now...

I make my own so I didn't bother buying any...but I know they were available in 2014 because I also most bought some for my trip to Idaho...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks RJM!

I checked them out and they have 4 boxes in stock.

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Bob,

Would you mind telling us your technique for loading shot?

Paper wad over the shot charge?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm interested as well. I picked up one of the 357PD's...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been shooting .41 Magnums for a long time and making my own shotshells for years. Those I make work very efficiently in my 6" Model 57 S&W and Ruger B.H.

First, I take an empty, deprimed .41 cartridge case and lightly sharpen the INSIDE of the case mouth with a small, round file and then polish it with a round ceramic rod.

Using poster paper, I hammer the case mouth through the poster paper to make my wads.

Using primed and sized cases (or one could use new, unfired cases) I measure in 9 grains of Unique powder. Over the powder goes one wad and I seat it with a wooden dowel so the wad is just on top of the powder but not compressing it.

Then I pour in #10 lead shot filling the case almost to the mouth of the case. Over that I place another paper wad and crimp the case mouth over the wad using my Lee Factory Crimp die.

Then I seal the wad with Elmer's White Glue and let the cartridges sit for 24 hours until the glue has set well. Not only is the top wad secure but it is waterproof.

At 10 feet, I get a really good pattern of about nine inches with a couple or three flyer pellets. I've killed several rattlesnakes at four or five feet with the .41 shotshells from my 57 and B.H, and the shells work very well.

I have shot them also from my 1894S Marlin .41 Mag., loading them one at a time, but the pattern is erratic so I use them in my revolvers.

Just my experience but they work for me.

L.W.

EDIT: One could also use .41 gas checks instead of the poster paper wads, but I had no intention of buying 1,000 .41 gas checks to make two or three dozens shotshells.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 02/17/16.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have used a similar method but with the gas checks. I already had the checks for a cast bullet that required them. It's been several years but I used the same nine grain charge of Unique, then a gas check over the powder, fill the case with 9's to where the second gas check, cup side down, would be held in place by the crimp. Out of a 6.5 inch Blackhawk they would shred a snake's head at 3-10 feet. I even loaded a few with 6's for grouse but only ever got a chance to take one grouse with them. It worked.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have two methods...

#1 is size, prime, bell and put in 5.0 grains of Unique or any other fast burning powder. Seat a Lyman (they are smaller than Hornady) gas check over the powder, cup up. Fill with as much shot as one can. I usually use #7.5 as that is what I use in my shotguns. Leave enough room at the top for the second gas check to be placed on the shot charge cup down. Crimp in place.

#2 is the same as #1 but I happened upon a old Lyman .410 round ball mold. The ball is sized in a .409 sizer and a little less shot is in the case. Put about 1/2 the ball into the case mouth and crimp in place.

You don't need a whole lot of velocity to kill a snake and the faster the shot goes the faster the rifling makes it spread.

Bob

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
basically the same ways except you could substitue other materials for the gas check. like steyrafoam from a cup, and then hot glue or was in place at the mouth. I bought a bag of no 12 shot off the net a number of years ago for this, lot more shot than some of the bigger shot sizes going down range.
Thank shrapnel's friend for that.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks guys,

I intend to give this a try.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 3,207 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,965
Posts18,499,229
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.