Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Can't say that I've ever spent any time in any kind of serious backwater. But it made me think of a Canadian acqaintence of mine who is a Captain in their military.

He had done a stint in Haiti and a couple in Afghanistan.

He said that he much preferred Afghanistan,...said the people there live a fairly crude, basic existence, but they got up every day and did their work,..took care of their business.

He said the people in Haiti just sat in squalor day in and day out doing nothing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 66niteowl
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Tennessee. grin

Please come back ! We love to make fun of loud mouth Yankees that talk through their nose . 😄

[Linked Image]

That is all

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Washington DC........... largest cess pool on earth!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A young man (then) that I used to work with hunted around
Whitts springs, but I was never there. We would eat lunch down by the Buffalo River between Mt. Judea and
Western Grove and watch the Elk. That was before hunting was opened up, and there was some nice bulls there most days. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
cuznguido,

"I wouldn't have appeared so hostile if you hadn't given every impression you were gonna steal anything loose."

Which one was you - one of the three-toothers in that shanty town, or the old codger at the end of the road ?

I'm not sure why anyone would think my wife and I riding around in an old Chebby seedan would look threatening, and I didn't even have my burglary tools with me !

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by k20350
Originally Posted by 66niteowl
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Tennessee. grin

Please come back ! We love to make fun of loud mouth Yankees that talk through their nose . 😄

[Linked Image]

That is all

I originally put that down as bait for a certain member from Crackwhore Holler, but sadly he never bit. grin

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Port au Prince, Haiti during Baby Doc's time (80-81) was pretty nasty.....probably still is. Antananarivo, Madagascar was pretty "backwater" in the late 70's.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Chung Ju, South Korea
Sheik Isa, Bahrain
American Samoa

Numerous points around AK: Naknek, Chicken, Bettles, Shemya (I might have a story about getting drunk there and causing a wee bit of trouble - note to self, there is nowhere to run when you're on an island!). Sand Point, Manley Hot Springs (There's a Medal of Honor recipient that used to run an air taxi service there).

And a good number of places in the south that certainly qualified for backwater. I remember one BBQ joint we were given directions to near McAllister Army Depot, OK. They must have laughed their asses off as we set off for some dinner. It had the name (forget the specific name) and Bar B Q spray painted on the outer garage wall. We just happened to have one each Englander and a black fella with us. The music stopped when we walked in.....

I can remember another time getting lost in either Virginia or West Virginia. We came around the corner on an old road and there sat the General Lee....I schitt you not! I thought I was going to die laughing.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mombasa, Africa 1977

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I was stationed at Fort Riley, KS, where there are dozens of backwater towns scattered throughout the area. Some that come to mind are Alta Vista, Dwight, Industry, Navarre, St. George, Talmage, White City, Woodbine

For some reason, I remember that Detroit had a good bar.

My girlfriend is from Dwight. When folks from Dwight want to experience backwater, they go to Kelso!

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grandfield, Oklahoma and Stamps, Arkansas.

What a couple o' $ch!tholes.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Otis, otherwise known as Scrotis, Oregon. Could be a beautiful place if they nuked it and started over from scratch, but my hell, what a backwardsass dump! Every other shanty has a blue tarp for a roof, broke down vehicles in the yards, three legged dogs, and the most inbred looking people you've ever seen! Reminds me of The Hills Have Eyes.

Second is Hilldale, Utah, home of polygamists. You want to talk about backwater....that's it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by speedsixman
cuznguido,

"I wouldn't have appeared so hostile if you hadn't given every impression you were gonna steal anything loose."

Which one was you - one of the three-toothers in that shanty town, or the old codger at the end of the road ?

I'm not sure why anyone would think my wife and I riding around in an old Chebby seedan would look threatening, and I didn't even have my burglary tools with me !

Myron

JOKE. C'mon man.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Otis, otherwise known as Scrotis, Oregon. Could be a beautiful place if they nuked it and started over from scratch, but my hell, what a backwardsass dump! Every other shanty has a blue tarp for a roof, broke down vehicles in the yards, three legged dogs, and the most inbred looking people you've ever seen! Reminds me of The Hills Have Eyes.

Second is Hilldale, Utah, home of polygamists. You want to talk about backwater....that's it.

Heck, that's dang near a metropolis compared to Pipe Springs on the rez a few miles down the road in AZ. grin

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I had coffee in Smithville, Arkansas a few years back.
I spent a week in Bemidji one day, nice town.

Yourself?

I spent a week in Wolf Point Montana visiting my sis. I was 15. It was August. No car. No friends. Great time...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tulsa OK lol. Cracker Barrel there went silent and this hispanic got a lot of stares sat in the very back that night. Made my wife and brother in law uncomfortable.
Northern AZ, around Fredonia, Jacob Lake and that stuff is pretty deliverance like, can't imagine what colorado city is like if I thought those were like that.
Border towns in AZ are pretty weird too.
Of all the places tho, I would have to say Elfrida AZ and that Sulfur Springs Valley is pretty odd. I think the devil roams that valley at will. I've read too many kids killing their parents/grandparents and murders in general for a population of that size.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ltppowell
South Louisiana has some pretty isolated places.

Houma, New Iberia, iiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Borneo, dining with the village chief in his thatch hut.sicksick

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
How could I forget the booming hotspots of

Hyampon and Hayfork CA

Mora, NM

Pittsburg....................TX

Rosa's tienda at Km 39 in Baja south of Tijuana (back in the 70's not sure it still exists)

Lovely places, all, but not for the folks who are

"Fools for the City"

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 163bc
Washington DC........... largest cess pool on earth!!

I respectfully disagree. DC is a great place and full of wonderful history.

Every American should visit DC at least once.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,584
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.