At home... bass filets... Ron's favorite

[Linked Image]

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Owl
OK Kent, scrambled eggs, fried trout, and dough-nuts. I'm getting fatter just thinking about it.

Fish in pastry dough batter is great, I need to make that next time for you guys... doughnut fish...

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Friday night fish-n-chips.

Maybe I'll twist Peggy's arm and get he over there again this year.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Can't wait to see Kents pics! Cmon Kent!!! I know you can throw together some vittles!!!! And he's got the stuff!

Ok! His pic is for Ron! The geezer in his camp.

[Linked Image]

Bob, my brother likes to tell the stories of our dutch oven meals on fishing and hunting trips when we were in our 20s.

He tells the story of our BIL who had never hunted and wanted to go with us deer hunting. Now he is a stubborn cuss and didn't like that our sister bragged on our outdoorsmen skills.

He didn't want to share in the food, would bring his own. He brought all canned food.

My brother and I had a tradition of after the first mornings hunt to walk the flats around camp and shoot some cottontails and chill them on ice. Then after the second mornings hunt to put them in a dutch oven with potatoes and vegies to slow cook till evening.

Now we offered some of our food at every meal but he was stubborn. That third night when we opened that dutch oven he was looking, but opened a can of beans or something.

He watched us eat and there was plenty left, he finally said he would try a bite... one taste and he looked like a dog at the dish with his face buried in the pan gulping.

We still tease the chit out of him 35 years later... and he still huffs about it.

Kent

IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I didn't take any pictures of the food this last weekend at our Tonto gathering but I made tacos and machaca enchiladas, dutch oven version of the ones below.

Also a pic of Keith and I about to load biscuits at the NM gathering a few years ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Good story Kent!!! LOL!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Chicken fryer, eh? Didn't know what those deeper cast iron skillets were. The relative I inherited it from was very tight with passing on knowledge.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
http://www.castironcollector.com/CICN/images/image109.jpg

Griswold Deep Skillets

Griswold, from their early days until their later ones, made what they referred to as Extra Deep Skillets. The 1890 catalog shows three sizes, No8, 9, and 10 of "Extra Deep Skillets or Doughnut Fryer, specially adapted for frying articles requiring considerable grease". Prices for these three sizes were 78¢, 88¢ and $1.04 respectively. These early pans are marked with a large "ERIE" on the bottom and are very nicely rnade, The three sizes, with various trademark variations, continued to be made into the 1930's but with an important change: The diameters of the tops of the deep skillets were made somewhat smaller to match the top diameters of the standard skillets, making it possible to use the newly introduced skillet covers both on the standard and extra deep skillets. Previously, the sides of the deep skillets sloped outward more, giving a more pleasing appearance, but making it impossible to use the new Griswold skillet covers on them. The old style is still shown in a c.1920 catalog, but by the 1930 catalog the new style was being offered (and probably much earlier-­ I would guess around 1922). In the 1942 catalog only sizes 8 and 9 were shown. Probably only size 8 was being made by the late 40's and into the 50's and with the small TM. Pattern numbers for the deep skillets are as follows: ERIE, slant/ERIE, and slant EPU trademarked pans will have patterns 732, 733, and 734 for sizes 8, 9, and 10. Pans with the large block TM are patterns 777, 778, and 779 as are any small TM pans of which, I believe, only size 8 was made.

Griswold Chicken Pans. Below are pictured two variations of the deep skillet which
were sold as chicken fryers. The one to the left is the regular deep skillet with the added words OR CHICKEN PAN just above the trademark. I believe that sizes 8, 9, and 10 were made without the OR CHICKEN PAN, but only size 8 with the added words as I have never seen a size 9 or 10 "OR CHICKEN PAN". In the 1932 catalog are separate listings for the deep skillets and the Chicken Fryer. The Chicken Fryer came with "Self-Basting Dome Shaped Cover" which I believe would be the high domed cover with writing on the top as that cover is shown clearly elsewhere in the catalog. Later, the Chicken Fryer would probably come with the high, smooth lid or the similar one with the TM on its top. Pictured to the right, below, is a much rarer pan marked CAST IRON CHICKEN PAN, pattern 768. This could be the Chicken Fryer sold in the 1932 catalog, but, more likely, it was the 777 pan. Why is it that Griswold never mentioned anything about their skillets being available both with and without a heat ring during the production of the large, block TM pans? It is my belief that the heat ring pans were made for use on wood and coal ranges while the smooth bottom pans were for gas or electric stove use. Anyway, here are Chicken Fryers both with and without heat rings illustrating that Griswold made lots of minor variations to cover all intended uses and/or personal choices in cookware. [Linked Image]

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have some griswold pieces but most of my pans and the chicken fryers are wagnerware 1920s and earlier.

Kent

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Can't wait to see Kents pics! Cmon Kent!!! I know you can throw together some vittles!!!! And he's got the stuff!

Ok! His pic is for Ron! The geezer in his camp.

[Linked Image]

the only thing missing from that picture is a kraig carbine or a 1895 in 30 government.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Love seeing other folks using and enjoying their Griswolds.

Here's a couple recent casseroles I made in my #9.

ham & broccoli
[Linked Image]

seafood
[Linked Image]

My #14 for cornbread and sausage & herb stuffing
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Griswolds are an American icon, if you ask me.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I've become a big fan of cast iron. I have only not used cast iron 1-2 times in the last 18 months, and I cook 6-7 days a week. Taken many post down to bare metal and started the seasoning process from scratch.

It's taken over baking sheets

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nightly dinners

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I even use them to bacon weave a bacon dream

[Linked Image]

And of course camping

[Linked Image]

Last edited by robertham1; 02/24/16.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Mmmmmmm!!!

Love all the pics!!!

(Ron, there was a M1912 riot gun in the tent!)

Wifey has a Griswold#7 we use every day. And I have a real cute #3. That's 1930's vintage. For solo camp!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/24/16.

Founder

WS

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Campfire cooking with cast iron skillets and Dutch ovens equals some mighty fine eating.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
[Linked Image]

This is the only piece of cast iron I inherited from my mamaw. Would not suprise me that she may have started keeping house with it when she got married in 1913.

It's one of those low sided flat skillets. I know the Mexicans call em a Comal. I dunno what else they are called. See it has the wood stove ring on bottom and lots of iron cooked off of it.

Oldest son ended up with her chicken fryer. Which is a good thing. He frys chicken all the time!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everything is better cooked in cast iron.

Catfish
[Linked Image]

Goose gumbo
[Linked Image]

venison chili
[Linked Image]

venison stew
[Linked Image]

corn bread
[Linked Image]

Now I'm hungry..

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Cornbread!!!!

Founder

WS

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Cast iron on cast iron in Idaho.

Start of the day.

[Linked Image]

End of the day.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm drooling over that stove! wife just rolls her eyes when I suggest it...

Kent

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 270cowboy, 57 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,428
Posts18,489,229
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.