Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Pappy348
A while back there was some discussion about the whereabouts of Ross Seyfried. Wherever he is, he's still plugging away because the 2016 Hodgdon book has an article by him on Olde Eynsford black powder.

There's also a good one by JB on the wonders of 165gr bullets and 4350 in the .30/06.

Ahh yes good old Ross, who's this JB fella you talk about?
Some young upstart? grin

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Don't trouble yourself about him. Flash in the pan. Fortunately for him, his wife has had condiderable success.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Plain and simple, Ross was badazz in everything he wrote as he knew it all far more than the rest. Any other writer denying this fact should just, well, you know...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A while back there was some discussion about the whereabouts of Ross Seyfried. Wherever he is, he's still plugging away because the 2016 Hodgdon book has an article by him on Olde Eynsford black powder.

There's also a good one by JB on the wonders of 165gr bullets and 4350 in the .30/06.

Who cares about what Ross writes when JB's is so full of information and technical expertise. Everyone should read John's 30-06 article...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I enjoyed Ross, though blackpowder single shots would probably cost less were it not for him writing about them. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ross has an article in about every issue of The Double Gun and Single Shot Journal and has for some time. Still as good as ever......

Dennis.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Who cares about what Ross writes when JB's is so full of information and technical expertise. Everyone should read John's 30-06 article...

Already did.....twice.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ross Seyfreid is one of the "old school" writers, I have always enjoyed his articles. Hope he is doing well and continues writing. For Shrapnel, I remember how he got his name. One does learn from experience.. J.B. is my favorite new "school writer" A different style that appeals to my looneyness.. Both have a lot of good info based on use not prose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Already did.....twice.

Me too, I especially like the next to last paragraph...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not only could Seyfried write well, unlike 99.9% of "gunwriters", he could actually shoot, and not just well, but at a world class level. Shotgun, rifle, or pistol.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DennisB
Ross has an article in about every issue of The Double Gun and Single Shot Journal and has for some time. Still as good as ever......

Dennis.

Concur.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Plain and simple, Ross was badazz in everything he wrote as he knew it all far more than the rest. Any other writer denying this fact should just, well, you know...

Hopefully you are writing with tongue in cheek!
I agree that Ross was one of the best writers in the industry and I still enjoy reading his articles. There is no doubt he could shoot also but he still has human foibles. He wrote numerous articles with absolutly false or misleading information in them and loved making underhanded comments about other writers
Last time I talked with him at the Wolfe Publishing booth he claimed there were no bears left in Alaska as large as those taken by older Kodiak guides, even though F&G records prove different, and had the audacity to claim that photos of bears my clients had taken were photo shopped !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by EdM

Hopefully you are writing with tongue in cheek!
I agree that Ross was one of the best writers in the industry and there is no doubt he could shoot but he still has human foibles. He wrote numerous articles with absolutly false or misleading information in them and loved making underhanded comments about other writers
Last time I talked with him he claimed there were no bears left in Alaska as large as those taken by older Kodiak guides, even though F&G records prove different, and had the audacity to claim that photos of bears my clients had taken were photo shopped !

Ross was also quite pleased with himself and wasn't afraid to admit it. He made a claim that he had designed the rounding of the front of single action revolver cylinders and wasn't aware that Colt had been doing that at least 60 years before he was born.

He also made a pretty bold statement around some of his contemporaries in the writing business about how ignorant the readers are and you could write anything you wanted and without qualification, they would believe it...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

He also made a pretty bold statement around some of his contemporaries in the writing business about how ignorant the readers are and you could write anything you wanted and without qualification, they would believe it...

Like how the round relief cuts in the sharp corners of English double guns were designed to collect dirt !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win

Like how the round relief cuts in the sharp corners of English double guns were designed to collect dirt !

Are you familiar with Jan Libourel?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Already did.....twice.

Me too, I especially like the next to last paragraph...

Can't imagine why.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

That may actually be true to some extent. How much bs have you seen authoritatively stated and then swallowed whole here alone, let alone elsewhere on the www and in print. Some is from writers who have the wrong "facts" and some is deliberately misleading. My favorite example of the last is one well-know MSR pusher who claimed the .30 AR was more powerful than some .308 loads. That may have been true about a reduced-recoil .308 load, but was pure crap in relation to standard loads. It was a blatant attempt to deceive readers in order to push his agenda.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll withhold judgement on Ross until I read his report on shooting the B29.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by saddlering
He did a Pic about his last hunt at the old Family land, was good, something about the buck dieing near the green of the golf course that was built on the land net to his place!

I remember this piece and how saddened I was to read it. In the early/mid 80s Ross wrote a lot about hunting revolvers, heavy for caliber cast bullets, large as possible meplats. I remember him sticking hard to a philosophy that you would never get high enough velocities to ensure reliable bullet expansion from a wheel gun. Therefore, the shooter needed to put together a bullet/cartridge combo that would ensure the largest diameter entrance and exit hole; and focus, as always, on proper shot placement.

I was never able to afford a John Linebaugh or Hamilton Bowen custom 5 shot Ruger conversion; but I took away as much as I could from his articles and used my Ruger Super Blackhawk to take my very first heads of North American game… Mule deer buck and a truckload of pronghorn does. Eventually I also used my Ruger to cleanly take a bull elk at 125 yards.

Ross Seyfried was my favorite gun writer at the time and I hope he is doing well in Kentucky.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've posted this before but some time ago in the last decade I was in email contact with RS, about what I do not precisely remember now.

I invited him to the 'fire and he replied, "too much chaff; not enough wheat." I replied he could be "the wind" and reduce some of the chaff. He declined.

Much earlier, I built a 340 B mainly due to an article of his circa '91 or '92 in G&A extolling that cartridges virtues. Later, after a trip to Australia where he experimented very successfully with the then new Winchester Failsafe bullets loaded in '06, he was the first, IIRC, to publicly conclude that these new premiums lifted each cartridge up a whole level of effectiveness.

He then went on later to argue the 338 over the 340 due to the new bullets. I believe that was what we were communicating about at the time I invited him here.

He certainly was opinionated but a good writer also.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1234, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,415
Posts18,470,496
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.