Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Does nothing that a 30-06 won't do, when loaded with heavy bullets.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
I still think the Whelen is best as a big critter cartridge. There are a truckload of other cartridges I'd rather deer hunt with.

If I was going moose/grizzly hunting tomorrow or to Africa, the Whelen would be one of my picks.

I agree for the most part. Bullets like the 200 gr Accubond and TTSX make for some great deer loads and can handle bigger stuff as well. That said I prefer my 260 Rem and the 270 Win for deer but the Whelen works too.

I understand a Whelen for deer in B.C., I don't in Virgina.

I agree.

The Whelen is a great cartridge. I would be happy with one for very large game at closer yardages. It is not a deer cartridge IMO. Even in B.C. it would not be the cartridge I would choose. The 30-06 will do as well and is much more versatile.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've had all three of the Whelens, the 35, 375 and 400 as well as a laundry list of standards from 6mm Rem to 375 H&H, including 4 or 5 30-06's. If I were forced to choose one round to hunt all of North America and non-dangerous in Africa, and as much as I love my 400 Whelen, my choice would be the 35 Whelen with a 250 grain Nosler Partition over 56 grains of 4320.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Yes it does! The 35 W cuts a 'bigger' hole from start to finish. I think you/we know what a bigger swath does.

Now I no longer have a 35 W and I'm not on a quest for one but it will do more tissue damage from start to finish.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mart
my choice would be the 35 Whelen with a 250 grain Nosler Partition over 56 grains of 4320.

I see that IMR 4320 is still a good powder for the Whelen.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1Nut
I still think the Whelen is best as a big critter cartridge. There are a truckload of other cartridges I'd rather deer hunt with.

If I was going moose/grizzly hunting tomorrow or to Africa, the Whelen would be one of my picks.

I agree for the most part. Bullets like the 200 gr Accubond and TTSX make for some great deer loads and can handle bigger stuff as well. That said I prefer my 260 Rem and the 270 Win for deer but the Whelen works too.

I agree.

The Whelen is a great cartridge. I would be happy with one for very large game at closer yardages. It is not a deer cartridge IMO. Even in B.C. it would not be the cartridge I would choose. The 30-06 will do as well and is much more versatile.

I can tell you one thing, I'm not passing up a deer if carrying the Whelen smile

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1Nut

I agree.

I can tell you one thing, I'm not passing up a deer if carrying the Whelen smile

And neither would I. But it is far from being choice #1. However, like I said, it is a great cartridge.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have used my various .35 Whelens as my primary elk rifles for 20 years or so. Have taken something like 15 or 16 elk, and a couple moose with mine. Shot a few elk with .308, .30-06, 7x64 .270 & 8x57IS and other similar cartridges, and saw many more shot by friends and hunting partners. In my experience, the .35 Whelen with 250 grain or 225 grain strongly constructed bullets trumps those lesser cartridges in every way that matters to me. Full straight line penetration with exit holes, minimal deflection when heavy shoulder bones are hit, never a bullet "failure" due to fragmentation, and shorter flight distance after a shot.
A 9.3x62 would do the same or possibly a tad better, as will the .375H&H. Recoil with the Whelen is less with similar weight 9.3 / .375 rifles.
I really do notice a difference in "Killing power" between the Whelen and lesser cartridges, however I don't shoot at game animals at extreme distances, where some hotshot super fast .300 or .338 magnum with a calibrated turret scope and bipod and range finder might trump its performance. I'm content with hunting for my game, not just sniping at it.
Almost any smaller cartridge is a better choice for deer. The Whelen is a big critter cartridge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot 250gr. Northforks over RL15 getting 2500fps out of a 22" 14 twist barrel. More than I needed on boar,but perfect on eland, kudu, wildebeast, oryx, zebra. I also brought an '06 along, but the PH kept urging me to "use the 35!" Longest shot was about 225 yards. Some other cartridges would have worked as well, by the Whelen interested me most.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I shoot a Whelen for primitive season down here in MS. It's a T/C Encore and scoped it goes just under 7.5lbs. I shoot 225gr Sierras and believe me it gets your attention when you pull the trigger! I've yet to get a deer with mine but my friends that use a similar setup say it's an impressive killer.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tate -

I know about the 35 W being 'considered' legal in primitive weapon (ML)
season....

Can you Xplain their reasoning (if there is such a thing)?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jerry -

The only reason I've ever heard is to increase the number of deer harvested and the number of hunters. Last article I read stated we need to remove 400,000 deer from the population every year just to keep the herd in check. We average about 350,000. I guess maybe the state decided the old rule about 45cal or larger limited the number of cartridges too much and possibly the large calibers scared off some recoil sensitive shooters. It seems most hunters assume a 45-70 kicks a whole lot worse than it actually does. By dropping down to the 35cal requirement, and opening up the Whelen, hunters got closer to the old 30cal "comfort zone". Also, the larger caliber rounds have a reputation for a rainbow-like trajectory, not like the popular flat shooting 270. This was another drawback that kept people at home during primitive season. The Whelen was considered a smaller round with less "kick" and has a trajectory similar to a 30-06. They started selling like hotcakes and got a ton more hunters into the woods during primitive season. In fact, many hunters I know use their single shot Whelens for the entire hunting season. That was never the case with the 45-70.

My first primitive weapon was a Whelen. From what I understand the primitive season was never terribly successful as far as number of hunters when actual MLs were required. When the state changed over to the single shot break-open rifles in 45cal and larger, all ML owners went out and bought 45-70s. A fair number of new primitive season hunters also got into the game, but primitive season really came into it's own when they dropped down to the 35cal requirement. Last year they went even further. During the second and third primitive seasons, you can use any rifle you choose on private land. Primitive weapons are only required on public land, and there's very little of that around here local to me.

Last edited by TATELAW; 03/03/16.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Tate -

Wow that's a whole lot of changes since I hunted Miss. I hunted near Meadville for several yrs.

I'd also prefer the Whelen to the 45-70, mainly for range and better trajectory. I had heard of the changes but I didn't know why.

Thanks

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a pre'64 M/70 rebored to .35 Whelen more than 20 yrs. ago, I have been very satisfied with the loading flexibility of this venerable old cartridge. During the off season I shoot a lot of cast bullet and jacketed pistol bullet loads. Unique is my powder of choice, you get a lot of loads out of a pound. For whitetail deer 225 grain Sierra or Nosler bullets with either IMR 4064 or RL-15 get the job done. Of all the factory loads offered by Midway the Federal Vital-Shok 225 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw is my choice. It is an accurate load in my rifle and posesses plenty of knock down power.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
While it was interesting, I can’t think of anything it can do that the .338WM won’t do just as well while the .338WM can shoot flatter and deliver more energy and velocity down range. .

While true, for some reason, I have never been able to utilize that truism in my purchase of rifles. I've never been able to force myself to use only three calibers/rifles.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
toa Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
HMMMM, maybe an all arounder candidate. I really had not thought of it in that sense before...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Yes it does! The 35 W cuts a 'bigger' hole from start to finish. I think you/we know what a bigger swath does.

Now I no longer have a 35 W and I'm not on a quest for one but it will do more tissue damage from start to finish.

Jerry

Wow, that's almost as good as a Field & Stream answer and about as much bullchit as can be put into 2 sentences.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Wow, that's almost as good as a Field & Stream answer and about as much bullchit as can be put into 2 sentences.

That's very observant of you S H.

OTOH I haven't read F S in over 30 yrs so I wouldn't know. Nice of you to keep us updated.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JMR40
It kills stuff if you put the bullets in the right spot. But so does every other rifle cartridge ever made. If you are getting 30-06 recoil you are shooting anemic loads. With 225-250 gr bullets loaded to their potential recoil exceeds 300 WM. A 30-06 loaded with better 200-215 gr bullets will do anything the Whelen will do with 225's up close, and handily beats it beyond 150 yards with less recoil.

If you just want to be different from the 30-06 crowd it is a fun round to work with. Just don't expect to see any dramatic difference in effectiveness.

The 35 Whelen was born in an era of poor bullets where larger calibers and heavier bullets actually made a difference. That is no longer the case.

No, the Whelen or its ballistic twin the .350 Rem mag which I have is a noticeably better killer on anything larger then a deer. I've owned .30-06's ever since I started hunting almost 50 years ago loaded with all kinds of bullets and have had my .350 for the last thirteen years and have seen without a doubt that a .35 hits harder. So far I've never had to shoot anything twice with that gun. The .30-06 is a great cartridge, one that I really love but it isn't a .35 Whelen (or .350 RM).

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You can always count on SH for a derogatory response.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.