Print Thread
Hop To
R
ronc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Any reason not to buy this rifle? Found one new in my price range and I'm a fan of Ruger anything. Was looking at a Colt but the pony is to pricey for a toy that i'll probably shoot once year. What say y'all, Ruger AR 556 YAY or NAY?

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If the price is right. Go for it, It will do what you need it too.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought one last fall. I'm not a "serious" AR guy, only shot a couple hundred rounds through it, but I'm pretty happy with mine.

I initially bought it because the government apparently doesn't seem to think we should own one, but found that it is lots more fun than I thought it would be.

My only complaint, was that mine had a seriously heavy trigger pull. Others didn't seem to have that problem with theirs. I installed a Geissele trigger, an inexpensive full length hand guard (which required a gas block too), a red dot sight, shot it to get the sights on and for basic function testing... and called it good.

Last edited by bhemry; 03/02/16.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I think the S&W Sport II Is another good value. The reviews of the Smith do occasionally test accuracy where it is seldom mentioned for the Ruger. Both seem to get top grades for reliable.

I dont own either. My gut feeling the Smith SII is a tad better gun. Worth consideration.

I dont know if availability is an indication of quality but I do see a lot more Rugers on the shelf and more waiting lists for SWII. That could be a plus or minus, I suppose. I refer to the shops that sell at discount not the gougers or semi-gougers.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I really like mine. Trigger is not bad and quality seems to be very good.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No flies on the Ruger 556. And anything Ruger builds just keep right on working. Not to mention that they have probably the best customer service in the Firearms Industry.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I say yay. I screwed up and didn't buy one a few months ago when they were on sale here for $484.00!!!!! Still kicking myself in the azz..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
No flies on the Ruger 556. And anything Ruger builds just keep right on working. Not to mention that they have probably the best customer service in the Firearms Industry.

I know nothing about their AR's but I'd agree on every thing else you said. Any model in their line, if that is what I wanted, I'd buy without hesitation.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
And anything Ruger builds just keep right on working.

I suspect you are younger than me or not had as many Rugers.Or you choose your words carefully. There is a lot of ground between working and being a keeper.

I agree 100% (and if it mathematically made sense I would say 150%) about Ruger customer service. The flip side is,I have had to take advantage of that excellent CS on many occasions. Beyond that, some guns, are not defective, but stuff like poor accuracy. Those not bad enough to send back and not good enough for anything.

It may just be that for me, S&W rifles are more an unknown while I have a long history with Ruger. My Thompson Center experience has been tops. I might be wishful thinking that some of that rubbed off on S&W after that acquisition. That is hope and guess, far from known.

All I say is look at both and read the reviews for both. There are some nit picky differences.

I like to know where I could buy either for $484!!!

Last edited by fourbore; 03/03/16.
R
ronc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ended up with a M&P Sport 2 which seemed like a nicer rifle than the Ruger. They had a ton of Daniel Defense, Troy, Windam but dang those things are pricey. Think i'll put a scope on it to see what it's capable of at a 100.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ronc; 03/04/16.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree 100% that Ruger customer service is great. I've had multiple opportunities to call them and have sent two rifles and a handgun back for repair.

The handgun was a stainless Blackhawk .357 Mag that I bought used. The brass from fired cartridges would drag as they rotated around. Ruger checked it out, replaced the basepin (the one that runs through the cylinder) and returned it at no charge. Sent a 1989 M77 .257 Roberts that I bought used in '04 for a problem with a bolt/ejector problem. Don't recall the exact problem but it started after many years of use by me. Repaired and returned, no charge. The last rifle was a .300WM Hawkeye purchased as a wedding present for a son-in-law to-be. It was a brand new display rifle with light scratches in the bluing and dings in the stock, but the price was $404 and I was more interested in function the beauty. Still, I called Ruger to see what the cost would be for re-bluing. They sent it back re-blued and with a new African walnut stock with ebony tip and cross-bolt. No charge. Given that every M77/MKII/Hawkeye rifle I've had has been more than accurate enough, is there any wonder my safe is full of them?

Just ordered the Ruger Elite 452 trigger for my Rock River. $107 from Cheaper Than Dirt. Can't wait to get it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,719
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.