Hop To
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by rost495

Simply curious. If you keep scopes off MZ rifles, then what distance does that limit shots to basically?

Depends on the hunter and the sights but in my estimation, for most somewhere around 150 or even less.

Looking for a reply from bellydeep.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Interesting, thanks. Any idea of when that was written?

No, but I'm sure relatively recently. It will be an agenda item up for consideration in the March 9-10 Wildlife Commission meeting. Anyone can listen to the meeting online via the web page.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The linked "draft policy" is extremely broad. If the intention is to prevent drones and other real time surveillance technologies from being used in the hunt, then why not simply state as much. Who is empowered with interpreting this policy if adopted?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks, I may try to listen and see where they're headed.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Because its legal.

Who said anyone had to honor anything. I've shot a LOT of animals without having honor or thrill of the hunt etc... involved. It was harvesting meat. Hunting if you will. Shooting if you won't.

Not that I"d do what was done personally unless I'd taken a zero shot, unless I TOTALLY was understanding the conditions... and there are some days like that.

Having shot an appx 10 inch group the other side of 1800 yards that was a 3 shot group, its very workable. First round that was not "in the group" and corrected to drop 3 more in as quickly as I could on target..... its possible.

But then most don't dedicate enough time to any of this long stuff to have a clue really as to what they are doing.

I do stand by my personal thoughts that 200 is to far for most. Or far enough, heck 100 is to far for many. Never stopped any or many of them... I still say a screwed up 100-200 yard shot has a LOT more potential to be a bad hit than a LONG shot where if you miss something, you are likely to MISS totally rahter than just be off a hair... but what would I know.

It's not about what's legal.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART

So, what is the prognosis...have we decided who is allowed to hunt yet?

The only thing everyone's agreed to, is that you're definitely excluded.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So you don't care about legal vs illegal? Only whatever serves your platform?

BTW you might find that I'm not as opposite of your thoughts as you might assume.

But mine started years ago when I thought anyone that didn't bowhunt was unethical... there certainly is the thought in my mind, that once I grab a rifle, nothing has a chance, is that ethical or sportsmanlike?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Alamosa
random thoughts -

I wonder if they located the elk at closer range then had to move farther away in order to make the video they wanted.

Seems at odds with teaching anyone anything. Wouldn't you typically start with fundamentals, i.e., begin with the building blocks and gradually move to the fine points and skills. From the 'why' to the 'how'.

Seems like the great animal is secondary to the show. Not about the bull at all.

Interesting perspective. I like this.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a major issue with teaching ethics. Always did.

And taught hunter ed in TX for years.

My problem is that ethics varies. And its not something thats anyones business otehr than yours.

While there's necessarily a very personal component to ethics, ethics, in and of itself, is not relegated to the private realm of the individual.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

BTW you might find that I'm not as opposite of your thoughts as you might assume.

To be "Legal" is not necessarily to be "Ethical".

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From the 'why' to the 'how'.

The "why"? Because it's fun.

The "how"? use whatever is legal and you enjoy.

Simple as that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel
divide and conquer.. its in our own ranks....

This is the sad part of it all. There are a few among us that are always testing the limits. For fear of division among the ranks, there is always some justification for pushing those limits.

It wasn't that long ago and some computer geek was trying to sell the idea of shooting deer out of a tree stand with a computer and a mouse. Those that could stomach that philosophy are stretching that distance thing too far.

How far is too far, seems to be a question that doesn't have the perfect answer. Maybe a lazer guided missile would still be acceptable to some, where do you draw the line?

It is obvious that this video isn't about the shooting skill of this 12 year old kid, it is about the adults that are using a kid to legitimize their ambitions to make long shots look easy and foolproof.

The first shot was a complete miss, that should have ended the video, but no, they had him load up and shoot again. That kid had no more idea of shooting long range than he had of flying a jet. They just put him in the pilot's seat and handed him the controls.

I really hope this kind of stunt shooting goes away and people get enough sense to use their own skills to get close enough to make the shot or just not shoot...

Excellent post. Concur.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ringman
From the 'why' to the 'how'.

The "why"? Because it's fun.

The "how"? use whatever is legal and you enjoy.

Simple as that.

Ringman, what does the pronoun "it" refer to in your statement copied above?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It is not so much about "divide and conquer" but more of policing our own ranks. The majority of citizens do not hunt and generally have no pro or con ideas about it. However,when they perceive ( correctly or not) that a particular method is unethical,they will back the antis in seeking legislation to stop that. It has nothing to do with the science of managing big game herds,.

It happened here in Colorado concerning leg hold traps, and spring bear hunting.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The way I see it if snipers can try, with government blessing to take out human targets at any distance in Muslim countries, fully endorsed by your President why can't a 12 year old shoot a critter at similar distance?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kingston

Evidently you have NO clue what ethical is.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Originally Posted by shrapnel
divide and conquer.. its in our own ranks....

This is the sad part of it all. There are a few among us that are always testing the limits. For fear of division among the ranks, there is always some justification for pushing those limits.

It wasn't that long ago and some computer geek was trying to sell the idea of shooting deer out of a tree stand with a computer and a mouse. Those that could stomach that philosophy are stretching that distance thing too far.

How far is too far, seems to be a question that doesn't have the perfect answer. Maybe a lazer guided missile would still be acceptable to some, where do you draw the line?

It is obvious that this video isn't about the shooting skill of this 12 year old kid, it is about the adults that are using a kid to legitimize their ambitions to make long shots look easy and foolproof.

The first shot was a complete miss, that should have ended the video, but no, they had him load up and shoot again. That kid had no more idea of shooting long range than he had of flying a jet. They just put him in the pilot's seat and handed him the controls.

I really hope this kind of stunt shooting goes away and people get enough sense to use their own skills to get close enough to make the shot or just not shoot...

Excellent post. Concur.

Its exactly what I do. I get close enough to make the shot or I won't shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
kingston,

The "it" refers to the being outdoors in the woods or fields and hunting with the hope of killing the subject of the hunt. The kill is part of the fun. If it wasn't we would buy a license and tag for someone to go do the "dirty deed."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston

Evidently you have NO clue what ethical is.

Your denial is a failure to recognize the naturalistic fallacy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ringman
kingston,

The "it" refers to the being outdoors in the woods or fields and hunting with the hope of killing the subject of the hunt. The kill is part of the fun. If it wasn't we would buy a license and tag for someone to go do the "dirty deed."

What does this have to do with a discussion of the ethics of what's seen in the video? Are you saying it's ethical because it's fun?

Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,831
Posts18,517,019
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.