Print Thread
Hop To
C
CGPAUL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Any one have experience with this bullet on WT?
Thinking I may try in the AR next season.
Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is what I took last Fall but unfortunately I didn't see a buck and get to try it out. It shoots well in my Browning with an 8 twist.

Jim

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
75 gr A-MAX is the bullet you need to try.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The semi-pointed Speer works very well. Complete side-through-side penetration when I used it. If your rifle likes them use them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For many years the 70 grain Speer was the only commonly available bullet for .22 caliber rifles for deer.

Other lighter bullets were used with mixed results by some, but were not really designed for heavier game. In the .223 class rifles the 55 grain bullets sometimes worked pretty well on broadside lung shots, but if velocity was stepped up (as in the .22-250) these bullets became very erratic. They sometimes came apart on even broadside shots and if they encountered bone were almost guaranteed to break up.

The 70 grain Speer, on the other hand, was intended from the start for use on deer size animals. It tended to hold together very well (as well as any cup-and core bullet does) even when striking shoulder bones and almost always penetrated far enough to reach the vital organs. An even better choice (in my experience) was the 60 grain Nosler Partition bullet.

A big part of this success was due to the fact that these heavy-for-caliber bullets could commonly be driven to 2800-3000 fps....which just happens to be the "perfect" velocity for cup-and-core bullets. The bigger case .22 caliber rifles "can" drive bullets a bit faster, but then you run into the limitations of the cup-and core design.....and they become somewhat erratic.

The "normal" twist of .22 caliber rifles (particularly in earlier days) was 1:14 or perhaps 1:12 and stabilizing longer, heavier bullets was a problem. The 70 grain Speer (and the 60 grain Nosler) were designed to work with a 1:14 twist rate and thus were very accurate from most rifles.

Back to the original question (yes I tend to wander a bit)....I have used the 70 grain Speer to take 15-20 deer and hogs. I've also used the 60 grain Nosler to take 12-15 animals. Both are about as good as you are going to get for taking big game animals with a .22 caliber rifle. I'd give an edge to the Nosler, but the Speer was very good.....as long as you didn't try to drive them too fast or take shots that involve heavy bone or deep penetrations.

You have to remember that you are using a .22 caliber rifle....a very marginal weapon for deer size game. In fact I, personally , consider the .243 to be pretty marginal for use on deer size game. It (and the .22 caliber rifles) CAN work, but you have to be very careful how you place the bullets and accept the limitations of the small caliber rifles.

As far as the 70 grain Speer bullet.....it is probably one of the best if you insist on using a .22 caliber rifle to take deer size game (the 60 grain Nosler is a bit better in my experience)....but it is still a marginal deer killing bullet and must be used with care.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B2

M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It is an excellent bullet for whitetail. I had a pass through on a frontal shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
shoots okay out of my .222 rem. Also seems to be tougher than the 63 grain sierra which also works yet doesn't seem heavy enough for me to chance throwing it into the shoulder of a really big buck.

C
CGPAUL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the replies.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
From a few months ago...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10560390/Re:_.224_caliber_70_gr._Speer_#Post10560390

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TexasRick
For many years the 70 grain Speer was the only commonly available bullet for .22 caliber rifles for deer.

Other lighter bullets were used with mixed results by some, but were not really designed for heavier game. In the .223 class rifles the 55 grain bullets sometimes worked pretty well on broadside lung shots, but if velocity was stepped up (as in the .22-250) these bullets became very erratic. They sometimes came apart on even broadside shots and if they encountered bone were almost guaranteed to break up.

The 70 grain Speer, on the other hand, was intended from the start for use on deer size animals. It tended to hold together very well (as well as any cup-and core bullet does) even when striking shoulder bones and almost always penetrated far enough to reach the vital organs. An even better choice (in my experience) was the 60 grain Nosler Partition bullet.

A big part of this success was due to the fact that these heavy-for-caliber bullets could commonly be driven to 2800-3000 fps....which just happens to be the "perfect" velocity for cup-and-core bullets. The bigger case .22 caliber rifles "can" drive bullets a bit faster, but then you run into the limitations of the cup-and core design.....and they become somewhat erratic.

The "normal" twist of .22 caliber rifles (particularly in earlier days) was 1:14 or perhaps 1:12 and stabilizing longer, heavier bullets was a problem. The 70 grain Speer (and the 60 grain Nosler) were designed to work with a 1:14 twist rate and thus were very accurate from most rifles.

Back to the original question (yes I tend to wander a bit)....I have used the 70 grain Speer to take 15-20 deer and hogs. I've also used the 60 grain Nosler to take 12-15 animals. Both are about as good as you are going to get for taking big game animals with a .22 caliber rifle. I'd give an edge to the Nosler, but the Speer was very good.....as long as you didn't try to drive them too fast or take shots that involve heavy bone or deep penetrations.

You have to remember that you are using a .22 caliber rifle....a very marginal weapon for deer size game. In fact I, personally , consider the .243 to be pretty marginal for use on deer size game. It (and the .22 caliber rifles) CAN work, but you have to be very careful how you place the bullets and accept the limitations of the small caliber rifles.

As far as the 70 grain Speer bullet.....it is probably one of the best if you insist on using a .22 caliber rifle to take deer size game (the 60 grain Nosler is a bit better in my experience)....but it is still a marginal deer killing bullet and must be used with care.

This.
Also cartridge plays a role in the equation as well. Run it from a Swift or 22-250 and it is as instant of death as you will find. 60 Partition may handle bone a bit better though.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
proper placement a 70 grain Speer SMP, or a 63 Sierra SMP out of any 22 cal from 222 and above will drop any deer at any reasonable distance ( 200 to 250 yds or less)...

very effective deer bullets...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Any one have experience with this bullet on WT?
Thinking I may try in the AR next season.
Thanks

If you have not bought any, Barnes still makes .224 in TTSX.... thats all you need to know.

But if you have, and they stabilize, no flies on them either but the TTSX is what I'd sure be going to for an on purpose bullet.

That said deer are not hard to kill generally and I"ve shot quite a few with matchkings, bthps Hornady and amax also...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
CGPAUL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks again Guys...shot them yesterday in both the Ar, 1/7 twist, and the Savage bolt gun, 1/9 twist. Bullet shot well at 100 in both. Didn`t cronie.
I don`t have the Barnes yet, do have Sierra`s 65 grn SPTBT, very accurate bullet in both rifles too. Put a Sight Mark on the AR,really like it, and good to 200 yrds, furthes I`ve shot it, and was thinking I would use for next years deer drives here in Northern Wi. Wondering if the sight would work in snow and rain, suppose I could wipe it clean tho, Eh?
Little different vane, killed a buck this year with an 80 grn .25 cal TTSX at 3400 fps, behind the front shoulder. Deer ran about 40 yrds. Surprised at how little damaged meat I had. Could and did eat up to the hole.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just don't expect much from the sierras in performing the same.

After years of using them, and I still do at times, I just go with the understanding today may be fine, tommorrow may be nothing but dust after impact and the next day may be FMJ.. though the FMJ and dust are not really common, they sure do happen.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,412
Posts18,528,173
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.