Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I wear this when I'm out, plus sun screen.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Fellers may wanna do some study up on this hat subject. I've heard many hats out there do not give the UV protection you think you might be getting.

I'm no expurt on the subject. I just know what works best for me. But it might be worth a looksee. I dunno where to look. Imagine you can find something on the inter-web. Just a thought.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Fellers may wanna do some study up on this hat subject. I've heard many hats out there do not give the UV protection you think you might be getting.

Good point. Better safe than sorry. It's probably best to go with the Official 24HCF Headgear:

[Linked Image]

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The aluminum "Chapeau de Bra" may be the answer FC! laugh

But personally I'd much prefer the Montana Peak! wink

[Linked Image]

With my apple pie!!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 03/03/16.

Founder

WS

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Like this? Chic, and effective:

[Linked Image]

FC

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I like that Montana Peak. Kinda reminds me of this guy:

[Linked Image]

If he knew 1/2 as much about hats as rifles, I'll bet it's a winner.

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
The aluminum "Chapeau de Bra" may be the answer FC! laugh

But personally I'd much prefer the Montana Peak! wink

[Linked Image]

With my apple pie!!!
lmao classic!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have always liked the looks of a Cowboy hat, but it seems they look better on my dad...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
Earlier this year I was diagnosed with skin cancer. At 35 it came as quite a shock. So I'm sitting here now with a chunk of my ear removed, and I gotta say it sucks. The doc told me for someone my age to have this means I will have more and have to have scans done every 4 months. They also said I need to wear a brimmed hat whenever I'm out. I've worn a baseball cap most of my life, but need something else now. For those of you that wear some type of brimmed hat, what is most comfortable? Any recommendations?

This:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Aftern...82&sr=1-1&keywords=adventure+hat

I had some skin cancer cells frozen on my face a year+ ago, and the doc said the same thing - wear a brimmed hat outdoors in the sun.. I wear this when I'm mowing lawn or garden work around the house.. It's very light, very comfortable and the vents allow very good air circulation . Plus, the rear flap can be attached up behind if the need should arise and the chin strap keeps the hat in place easily during windy days..

I saw one of these being worn on the cruise ship last May by an older gentleman and thought that would be just the ticket.. I was right..

YMMV..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunswizard
At age 66 I too have paid the price for too many summers in the sun. A couple of years ago my dermatologist froze so many places on my face that I looked as if I might have leprosy. I now use a sunblock that is specifically intended for the face, I believe it is SPF 30. Since my hair is thinning I wear a ball cap in the cooler weather and a broad brimmed straw hat in the summer. As I mentioned in my previous post, Nogintops and Lamood Big Hats are great sources for a wide variety of hats. Check 'em out, good prices too.

According to my Dermatologist, most people forget to put sunscreen on their ears, which increases the opportunity to cook up a melanoma. Since rural eastern Nebraska is primarily a land of small grain farmers, he says that melanoma on the ears has increased significantly since farmers switched from wearing brimmed hats to seed caps.

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Like this? Chic, and effective:

[Linked Image]

FC

Fetchez la vache!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Allow me to also recommend a Tilley hat. "Made with Canadian persnicketiness" and guaranteed for life. I've worn mine for golf and fishing for 15 years now. Indestructible, comfortable, and effective.

LINK

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dorfmann Pacific Safari hat. Cotton duck model.

When it hits 117 here I just pour water inside it and it becomes an evap cooler so may brains stops bubbling.

Last edited by krupp; 03/03/16.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by gunswizard
At age 66 I too have paid the price for too many summers in the sun. A couple of years ago my dermatologist froze so many places on my face that I looked as if I might have leprosy. I now use a sunblock that is specifically intended for the face, I believe it is SPF 30. Since my hair is thinning I wear a ball cap in the cooler weather and a broad brimmed straw hat in the summer. As I mentioned in my previous post, Nogintops and Lamood Big Hats are great sources for a wide variety of hats. Check 'em out, good prices too.

According to my Dermatologist, most people forget to put sunscreen on their ears, which increases the opportunity to cook up a melanoma. Since rural eastern Nebraska is primarily a land of small grain farmers, he says that melanoma on the ears has increased significantly since farmers switched from wearing brimmed hats to seed caps.

Sunscreen x40

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

O, use LOTS of at least PF15 sunscreen.

I use SPF50.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wear a Stetson 6X Gus hat every day that it isn't raining.

When woods walking and in the rain I wear a Tilley.

Also have several Western straw hats for hot sunny days.

Virgil B.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Wow guys, thanks for the tips! Didn't figure on getting this much feedback.

As far as climate, in the summer it's usually in the 70's to 80's, sometimes hotter. Fall and winter are a whole lot colder. So, I think I'm looking for a couple hats, just trying to figure out what will work best. I have a felt Stetson that I hunt in, but never saw myself as a cowboy hat kind of guy for dail wear. But I never saw myself as a skin cancer kind of guy either.

I do not really have any problem with over heating while wearing the Resistol beaver until temps get north of 70 degrees.

Part of that, I am sure, is because I am acclimated to ten hours a day at work at 30 degrees from Dec 1 through Mar 1.

(The work place environment makes up for it by giving us 100 degrees plus from June 15 through Sept 15.) grin

If you really don't think you can carry off the cowboy look. And that is getting tougher to do these days. People are starting to give us funny looks when we show up in town with hat, boots, buckle and western shirt; even in Idaho.

But Stetson and a couple other companies make "gun club" hats which do away with a bit of the traditional western style. Cabelas sells some inexpensive wool felt "crushable" models which might be worth a trial before one sinks several hundred bucks into a XXXXXXXXX beaver Stetson and finds he just can not deal with the style.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

As far as climate, in the summer it's usually in the 70's to 80's, sometimes hotter. Fall and winter are a whole lot colder. So, I think I'm looking for a couple hats, just trying to figure out what will work best. I have a felt Stetson that I hunt in, but never saw myself as a cowboy hat kind of guy for dail wear. But I never saw myself as a skin cancer kind of guy either.

Maybe in lieu of cowboy style hats, something along the lines of of these type caps might work for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Colorful-Quic...9%2C160_&refRID=12GY6Q9WGVKEWYHYWS19

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a bunch frozen off my head a few years back. I spent half my work life working outside. One day I forgot my hat (ball cap) and had full intensity sun on my head for the day. Right after that I started developing lesions.

Sunscreen is a lifesaver and also protecting from UV actually helps keep you cool. WIDE brim hat, widest you can find for shade, perforated sides won't work, needs to be solid.

Had a girlfriend a few years who was 36 at the time, looked like late 20's who loved to tan without sunscreen. Every chance she had she would be in the sun. Couple of years ago met up with her again after 10 years. Old rotted cracked leather would be the best description of her skin. So much for youthful looks for her, and a definite reality check for me.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by joken2

Maybe in lieu of cowboy style hats, something along the lines of of these type caps might work for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Colorful-Quic...9%2C160_&refRID=12GY6Q9WGVKEWYHYWS19

[Linked Image]

Me gggrandpappy wore similar!!!!
[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,407
Posts18,528,000
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.