Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by MOGC

Edit: Saddlesore, could you please explain the "impinge on the cantle" 4" revolver vs. Glock statement?

Usually a longer barreled handgun will ride down on the cantle if worn on the belt. I guess a fellow could use longer one and tie the bottom of the holster down to the leg , but that is uncomfortable

.I meant,concerning the Glock that finding a suitable holster with a tie down or snap strap might hard.
I tried a chest rig with a Blackhawk 44 mag a couple times and it was uncomfortable for me.

OP asked about holsters specifically

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/30/18.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the answer. It seemed as if you meant a G20 was longer overall than a 4" revolver. A G20 is 8.22" overall and a S&W L-frame is 9.60" overall.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No worries. I carry a Ruger Security Six in .357, 4 " barrel in Hunter leather holster with a strap/snap. Probably about 7"long. If I am leading a pack mule, it goes cross draw to keep the lead role from accidentally snagging it. If not, on the right side. If I am ML or rifle hunting, I carry a Smith J frame, 3 " barrel, in .357cross draw. Only relaying what has worked for me for years.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Appreciate your experience ...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Chest holsters will work if you don't have coat on,but are heck if you wear a coat and need the gun quickly.I prefer across draw worn on the left hip.Especially if you are leading a pack string. 2nd You need a retention strap of some sort.Don't rely on friction.The last thing you want to worry about in a wreck is if your handgun will stay put. You might have to give up your love affair with the Glock and get a 4" barreled revolver that deoen't impinge on the cantle. You can tell by the various replies who has carried a lot while riding and who has not

The HPG kit bag can be worn under or over a coat...under would require unzipping the coat at least part way to draw. Any handgun up to a large 4" revolver is no problem to carry in the kit bag and retention is not an issue. Will work with multiple guns, no need for a gun specific holster. Comfortable, compact, and nothing sticking out to interfere. I like to use a kydex trigger guard for a little extra piece of mind with a glock. It really is hard to beat and can be used for a lot of different activities.

^^^^^ My HPG recon kit bag is the most functional and comfortable gun toting device I have ever owned for everything except concealed carry.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have 2 glock 20s and I absolute likely love carrying them in gunfighters inc kenai chest rigs, in my opinion that’s handgun nirvana. I use that set up for hiking, hunting, rafting, ATVing, fly fishing etc. I really enjoy it. I have leather holsters for my bigger revolvers but for a g20 I love the kenai chest rig.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.