Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Knowing that a 6.5 CM will be my next rifle I have looked and looked for a factory gun that checks all my boxes and I am coming up empty. Admittedly this is because I am looking for a gun that can check more of those boxes than is likely fair. I am wanting a not too heavy rifle that I an take to a long range shooting class as well as work for a spot and stalk mule deer rifle (ranges here would be inside of 400 until comfort level increases) with some coyote hunting thrown in. I know that it may not be perfect for all of these but hopefully I can put something together that is respectable for each.

As it stands now my parts list looks like:
-Rem. 700 SS SA
-B&C #7595 Long Range Tactical- was going to go Mcmillan or Manners but a new baby on the way has me cutting corners where I can. Not to mention this looks like a very trim stock that maintains prone comfort and offhand shootability.
-6.5 1-8" fluted SS barrel from Mark Chanlynn. Contour is up in the air but to keep weight under control and reduce barrel channel inletting issues I am thinking a short shank light palma (match shank length of Rem. varmint contour) cut 24-26".
-Unsure on bottom metal now thinking a PT&G drop AI unit
- Scope is up in the air as well but would like something fairly low profile that doesn't scream tactical. Likely either the Burris Veracity or XTR II if I choose FFP or Leupold 4.5-14 or 6.5-20 LR with M1 turret and TS-32X1 reticle.

Gun will go to Rocky Mountain Rifle works for barrel and bedding. I am trying to keep this project between $1500-$2000 without scope. Weight target would be 8-9lbs without scope but really not sure on barrel contour to get there so please let me know what you think, I'm looking for advice here.

Thanks,
Nick

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
For $1500 to $2000 in the 6.5 Creedmoor I wouldn't build, I'd buy. What are you not finding in current factory or semi-custom rifles? What "boxes" aren't being checked?

The answer to that question will go a long way to helping us give you advice on what components to use if you do decide to go the custom route.

Last edited by Oregon45; 03/06/16.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I guess the closest thing out there to what I'm looking is the Ruger Hawkeye predator in 6.5 but with a decent synthetic varmint stock.
I'm looking for an 8-9lb., synthetic (non- injection molded) stocked, 24-26 inch barrelled varmint/ target rifle. Basically if Remington you do a Sendero or XCR long range in the right caliber it would be perfect. The Savage LRP is to heavy and I would like to stay away from Savage anyway, no good reason other than I have had several and I finally have the money for something different.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
You could put a Ruger Hawkeye in a McMillan stock, have it professionally bedded and tuned and still be under budget.

You will regret a B&C stock. I speak from experience. They are excellent for what they are--off the shelf, inexpensive stocks--but compared to true fiberglass stocks they are overly bulky and awkward. If there is a place to reduce the budget, it isn't the stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd maybe be looking at the Bergara 6.5 CM and a McMillan stock of choice.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I hadn't really thought about buying the target and dropping in a McMillan. Looks like I could get a custom inlet game scout in a few weeks. I will do some checking on rifle prices locally...

I like the Bergara but I am looking for a heavier contour barrel than the b14 models offer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ahhh. Gotcha.

Have you looked at the Howa barreled actions? I like the Howas quite a bit and you can buy a bbl'd action in 6.5 CM, 8 twist, "varmint contour", blued or stainless for not a whole lot of coin. MSRP is around $550 on their site.

Add a McMillan and you'd be lovin' it. Hell, throw in a really nice trigger. 20MOA rail, mounts, and a SS 10x and you'd still be under 2k.

Just a thought!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would approach your problem from an alternate point of view. Seems like the limitation is the chambering, so have you considered a 7-08 or a 7 Rem Mag? There are some darn good 7 mm bullets out there.

Then you could get a Rem CDL SF or SPS Stainless and drop them into a McMillan Classic. That could be a good platform in a couple years to rebarrel to 6.5 CM.

But hell, I've rebarreled a 30-06 twice...to 30-06. So long as the chambering is up to the task of killing what I want to kill it doesn't make much difference.

Owl Online Sleepy
Campfire Tracker
Online Sleepy
Campfire Tracker
Throw out a want ad on the campfire... maybe there is someone that has already built one that you might like, and they've already done the work for you.

Good Luck !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by evans1010
-6.5 1-8" fluted SS barrel from Mark Chanlynn. Contour is up in the air Nick

I have 6.5mm 1-8 fluted rem varmint from Mark Chanlynn on my 12 pound 1000 BR gun in 6.5 SLR.
Last summer I won 500 bullets and 500 dollars with it..
Your gonna like it.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
So I guess is like to get a consensus. If the only way I can afford the gun just as I want it is with the b&c stock should I buy an off the shelf gun that's not ideal?

What would you guys do?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nick - my 2 cents is go with the b&c now if you feel good about it. You can always upgrade the stock as funds become available. You're building on a 700 so that same advice can be applied to all of the components.

Also, do a search here for swfa scopes - great scopes that you can save some coin on - in particular the 6x, 10x and 3-9x, any of which will get you waaaay past 400 yards. They have a tax day sale coming up, too.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would look real hard at what Huntsman has done with his RAR Predator in 6.5 - go all the way through the thread....

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...er_American_Predator_6.5_Cr#Post10961885

Weighs 12.7 w/ optics, bipod and can - says it's just over 2 pounds lighter than his RPR, which means it weighs ~8.5ish as a rifle in the LSS chasis stock. Meets budget too...

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So I guess is like to get a consensus. If the only way I can afford the gun just as I want it is with the b&c stock should I buy an off the shelf gun that's not ideal?

What would you guys do?

Nick,
You might ask yourself how much you're comfortable losing when it comes time to trip the B&C stock.
In the long run, me thinks you're closer to a McMillan than you think. BTDT with gear in the past and have a gaggle of t-shirts as souvenirs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
You make a good point. I think the real problem is that I can spend the money just really don't want to as it does put me at the very top or just over budget. I haven't had a "good" stock, ever, so I question whether it's really necessary... I know the answer, it is.

Probably a better idea to save money on the fluting and put that money into a stock. Though I am starting to think I should go with more of a heavy sporter for all around field use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bartlein #3 contour for the heavy sporter. Will be .67-.68ish at the muzzle with 24" pipe.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Probably a better idea to save money on the fluting and put that money into a stock. Though I am starting to think I should go with more of a heavy sporter for all around field use.

Very sound thinking!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I would suggest you put your ear to your computer monitor and listen very closely to SKane. smile

Last edited by Akbob5; 03/09/16.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Canazes9
I would look real hard at what Huntsman has done with his RAR Predator in 6.5 - go all the way through the thread....

Weighs 12.7 w/ optics, bipod and can - says it's just over 2 pounds lighter than his RPR, which means it weighs ~8.5ish as a rifle in the LSS chasis stock. Meets budget too...

David

My American is 12.7 decked out. The RPR is 14.8.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Canazes9

David

My American is 12.7 decked out. The RPR is 14.8.....

Understood. Bare rifle weight on RPR is 10.6, by extrapolation the RAR in the chasis stock should weigh ~8.5 which is dead in the middle of his bare rifle target weight.

David

Last edited by Canazes9; 03/09/16.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 2500HD, 52 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,915
Posts18,518,712
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.