Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I had some CCI 400 primers I bought in the mid '70's in Hawaii when I was stationed there. Granted, yours are ten years older but I loaded some of them a few months ago for one of my .222's and they had the same POI as loads with some new 400's.

The worst thing that can happen is....you hear a "click" when the firing pin drops.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
First thing I'd look at on that press is the ram. My first press was a Pacific (1954) and the ram was set up for one cartridge size only. Mine was set up for the common 30-06 size case heads. When I wanted to load 30-30, oops! No go. You had to order a new ram with the proper size. That's the bad news. The good news was I was able to order a new ram the took interchangeable shell holders. Pacific had just made the change over so that cured my problem. I would imagine Hornady might have a replacement should you need one, at least possible for mine. On yours, I dunno. Based on your photo, I think you have the older style ram for one case head size. Maybe the ram for the newer press will fit.
Paul B.

I am not familiar with this particular press nor the design which you say requires a change of ram for various caliber combinations. It reminds me of the first press I had many years ago, an Echo I believe. That press required me to buy shell holders that screwed onto the top of the ram. Problem was the design was obsolete and I was unable to buy different shell holders as I added new rifles to my collection. I finally got smart and bought a new RCBS which took the snap on shell holders.

I don't know your financial situation but if you can afford it buy new equipment and don't dick around with junk in an attempt to save a few dollars. The aggravation isn't worth it, at least not in my opinion.

Jim
For anyone who might be interested that original press was made by the E. C. Herkner company if memory serves me correctly. Time period was the early '60s.
Since then I have had a total of 3 other presses all made by RCBS. The only reason for making further purchases was to obtain slightly higher grades of presses. Two of those three presses are still going strong. I don't know who got the third one so I can only guess that it is also still working.
Reason for edit - add more information.

Last edited by 1OntarioJim; 03/09/16.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1100mag, 160user, 02bfishn, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 15,196 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,213
Posts18,543,698
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.