Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by greydog
Allen,
One customer left a Colt Sauer in 375 H&H in Tanzania after having similar extraction problems on a hunt. He was pretty down on them after that.
The Sauer 200 series rifles are nice. A look at the bolt face shows what a Remington 700 extractor can look like. everything is beautifully machined and fitted. A trifle more spendy, mind you! The rifles are a bit heavy and the stock kind of clunky but at least there are no real design flaws. GD

This sounds like a Guncraft story, was the customer a wealthy German nobleman?

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
From my observations of the Colt Sauer I concluded that they were accurate but heavy. They were consistent brass stretchers. The two customers I had who handloaded for them eventualy gave up. The trigger was a very complicated design but seemed to work well. I never saw one break, but all of them I saw were almost new and had not yet seen any field use. I agree with greydog's assessment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Sauer 80 and just love it. The Sauer 80 and 90 have the smoothest and fastest bolt action that I have even seen.

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was talking to my neighbor today, and I found this old thread about the Colt-Sauer rifles. He has a Colt Sauer 25-06 with box that has never been fired, he bought it new. Very nice wood, he asked me to inquire about it. I have a 700 Rem. 25-06 that he sold me 25 years ago. I like the 25-06, flat, accurate and easy to keep on target. Any ideas here about value? Lots of knowledge here, how long were these made, etc?
He may be interested in selling it.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I have a Colt Sauer in 06. It is a little heftier than some of my other deer rifles, but the bolt is as smooth as any I've ever used. It is accurate as well. I once got off 3 shots as fast as my eldest son could shoot 5 shots with his 30 carbine. I was hitting with all three shots, and he only hit with 3 of his 5 shots. It also has very nice walnut and the best bluing I have yet seen.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Does anyone have any experience with the Sauer model S303, a s/auto?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
I was talking to my neighbor today, and I found this old thread about the Colt-Sauer rifles. He has a Colt Sauer 25-06 with box that has never been fired, he bought it new. Very nice wood, he asked me to inquire about it. I have a 700 Rem. 25-06 that he sold me 25 years ago. I like the 25-06, flat, accurate and easy to keep on target. Any ideas here about value? Lots of knowledge here, how long were these made, etc?
He may be interested in selling it.

Check out the prices at the various auction houses such as Gunbroker.com The prices of the guns that sold in your rifles condition are what you want. They are a pretty good representation of what the rifle is worth on the open market.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Just found this thread. See all the criticism of one of the finest most accurate rifles ever built. I bought my first Colt Sauer brand new in 1974. It is a 7 MM Remington Mag. Hunted with it for years. Reloaded 120 grain bullets so hot it would leave flattened primers or they'd fall out when you ejected the shell. Reloaded those with no problem too. I guess I must have had a 'bad' one. Later quit reloading and have been shooting the Remington 150 Noslers that they had before they went to their own junkie accutip. It shoots 1/2" all day long and anybody can shoot it under an inch. Never had a lick of trouble with it. Yeah I know the gun experts claim it was an over engineered piece of junk but I'll put my almost 40 year old rifle against a whole lot of new fancy schmancy high dollar crap and it'll out shoot them all day long. I also have one in a 300 Wby that will bughole factory Wby 165s. It is also so accurate it's scary.

And of course I have had over 10 of the 202s. Also great guns and my light rifle is a 202 in a 270. It too shoots 1/2 with Federal 130 ballistic tips. The one thing I've found about the 202s is they will shoot extremely well but they are picky on the right load. Then again most good rifles seem to fit this bill.

Good advice on market value. GB will give you an idea. Also remember there are people who want to sell stuff and then there are the idiots who price things ridiculously high hoping to find a sucker. Look at the closed ads and see what something sold for, not necessarily the ones that are 'for sale'. I wouldn't pay $2000 for any Sauer rifle yet there are some who might and there are some that might pay more. I see some 202 lightweights in the high $2K and even $3K range. As fine as they are, they aren't that dam fine. Nobody's are imo.

I have an old Remington 700 in 270 (mountain rifle no less) that shoots 1/2". It don't know how accurate it is - especially for the money. Course it isn't as pretty and flashy as those light weight 202s or $1000 stocked Colt Sauers.. And Remingtons bluing sucks. They haven't a clue on how to blue a gun but they're the Walmarts of the gun world. American 'Union' made, not German Craftsman.. I had mine QPQ'd and that put the rust issue to rest once and for all. It's nickname is "black death" cause it don't miss either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like another push feed with bolt lugs locking into it's barrel!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dear lord! You had to dig up a five year old post just to show us your stupidity.

Sweetheart, we've already done seen it! You've been parading it around here for years.

Why don't you tell us more about that prime rib you had for dinner.
Thanks!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My last buck taken this year with my Colt Sauer 270....taken in front of my house about 150 yards off my front porch.

[Linked Image]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
D
Good evening.

I recently purchased a 30-06 Colt sauer at a gun show today and I am trying to find out some info on it. I have enjoyed reading this thread but was curious if anyone could provide me a website that I could purchase replacement parts for it since they stopped making them. I am also curious if I provide the serial number to someone if they can give me the details on my gun. Thanks

Dewey

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I have one in 22-250 and it is one of my most accurate rifles. If you are looking for Colt stuff at all, I suggest you try Mike's Custom Shop in Hamilton, Montana. The best place to find him is on Gunsinternational, he doesn't have a website...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Dear lord! You had to dig up a five year old post just to show us your stupidity.

Sweetheart, we've already done seen it! You've been parading it around here for years.

Why don't you tell us more about that prime rib you had for dinner.
Thanks!

This thread was started 9.5 years ago?????? 10-26-06

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

I love me some Colt Sauer rifles! !

Back when Rem, Win, & Rugers were $250, The Sauers were @ $900

I really wish I had bought at least 1 C S cry

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I recently purchased a 30-06 Colt sauer

I know where there are extra magazines for your rifle. grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

I love me some Colt Sauer rifles! !

Back when Rem, Win, & Rugers were $250, The Sauers were @ $900

I really wish I had bought at least 1 C S cry

Jerry

I bought my first Colt in the late '70's and I was almost a one hole gun. I traded it for a new Sako deluxe which I shot the barrel out of. I have owned a couple hundred guns since and just last year decided I wanted another Colt Sauer. They aren't $900.00 anymore, this one was $2900.00...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice rifles, just not to my taste. If I were laying out that much cash, I 'd likely be looking at a Heym 30, funny wooden bolt knob and all.

I used to work with a guy that had a Sauer 7mmRM. He wasn't a hunter, but about once a year he'd take it out and shoot down a tree.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes I knew they are hi er

But didn't know how much.

Kleingunthers used to be 900. too

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,011
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.