huntsman" Ok thanks!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My son in law uses the 25" Harris very successfully when near game the legs are extended and he folds them down quickly on the way to a kneeling or seated position firing as soon as he is on target. If you like a steady hold good to 500+ yards or want to help a rookie they really do work - in the mountains too. But prone shooting is the rare exception not the rule where we hunt deer or elk.

Last year I carried a trigger stick tall tripod that I never used to shoot but it made a great walking stick. I practiced out to 800 yards with it getting ready for the hunt but the benefit was keeping upright and falling way less than a normal trip.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Everyone has their preferences..I hated the snipe pod.may as well use sticks.

I've also tried the 300$ "EOL" , hated it.

Seen lots of compromises, but nothing rivals the Harris. JMO

Last edited by rosco1; 03/24/16.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rosco1
Everyone has their preferences..I hated the snipe pod.may as well use sticks.

I've also tried the 300$ "EOL" , hated it.

Seen lots of compromises, but nothing rivals the Harris. JMO

What was wrong with the EOL?

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I didnt care for the adjustments. they work fine, just seemed much slower to get set up.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use shooting sticks.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing can beat the Harris for stability, but for mountain type hunting they are heavy and cumbersome.

I've been using the Snipepod for many years and for me, it works well. Easy to take on and off when you don't need it and takes up very little space in the pack or pocket. It goes with me every time I pack a rifle.

Like any bipod or sticks, you gotta use them and become comfortable with them.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I live in the west and hunt typical Rocky Mountain west terrain. 90%+ of my shots are from a bipod, when the ranges extend past a few hundred yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Unless I am shaving ounces for a serious climb, I will take a bipod.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^^^This. I don't leave home without one.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Offshore, The only time I use a bipod (old Harris) is for pronghorn/PD's/Rock Chucks or gophers. I do use, a lot, a good leather military style adjustable shooting sling properly adjusted. As one generally needs a sling anyway I just use it. I have used shooting slings, both for small bore and highpower formal target shooting for about 50 years and it is just natural for me. Bipods are indeed nice if topography/vegetation/or non-weight concern's permit. My short one (7.5" legs) weighs .688#'s and my 13" leg model weighs .855#'s. The lengths are fully compressed and both are non swivel models. -Muddy

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yep. Atlas all the way. Shot my elk off a bipod last season. Could have done it off a pack just as well, but then I wouldn't be able to use the pack for body stabilization. The Atlas and its mounting rail combined are 4oz lighter than a Harris bipod and better in just about every way, IMO.

RLTW
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use the 25" Harris when hunting antelope. Fully extended I can use it in the sitting position, while fully compressed it works for prone.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Climbing poles for Mtn hunting have your hand through the strap turn hand upside down and use your thumb to grip pole adjustable for height. And you have them any way for Mtn hunting. Try it!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
like many stated if determined to get a Bipod get the Harris I have them on my 338/378 bee, 338 lapua TRG, 338 lapua IM Tactical, 6.5x284 . work great.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I have multiple HArris bipods of different sizes, the thing I use most is a tall Primos tripod, which I use as a walking stick as well. I have a Primos bipod as well but the tripod is must more stable.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I shot a deer with my Atlas bipod in 2013

The other 21 deer and 2 antelope I have shot with Harris bipods.

What is wrong with Atlas is it costs too much and takes too long to set up. I think... maybe ok for snipers, but not hunters.

But is is very well built and more versatile.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've all but quit using a bipod for hunting. They're good if vegetation and topography are suitable but it seems it's rarely the case where I've been. I find myself shooting over my pack most of the time. In fact I don't remember ever killing a deer with a bipod, definitely no elk.

I've considered trying shooting/walking sticks, or even the primo's pod or whatever it's called, but it also seems like more junk to pack.

I won't call coyotes, cats, etc. without a bipod tall enough for sitting with a bolt gun. A .22-250 on a bipod can be pretty amazing.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've used the shorter Harris bipod for years. It was fantastic when lying prone, and 200 yd plus shots were generally one-shot kills. My only complaint was that in tall grass it was too short, when in a sitting position.

Last year I bought a Harris that goes to about 36" or so. It should work great when shooting from a sitting or kneeling position.

I also carry a light weight, collapsible, monopod for instances I have to shoot standing up. It also comes in handy for steadying my spotting scope.

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 03/31/16.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1941USMC, 66 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,804
Posts18,536,630
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.