Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Seeing the massive damage and carnage wrought by the Brussels bombs, I was wondering what kind of explosive Islamic terrorists are most apt to employ. I have seen the videos of I.E.D.s exploding and, obviously, those are re-purposed artillery shells. The explosions and damage that suicide vests, suitcases, backpacks, etc. produce seem all out of proportion to their size. Anybody know?

RS

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At the height of the Iraq war it was a known fact Iran was sending some of the best bomb building folks they had to Iraq to teach the Iraqi insurgents how to build bombs.. So safe to say they learned from someone that was taught during the war in Iraq and the war in Syria

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Probably Semtex:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semtex

Similar to our C-4. I'd wager the Iranians are making it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For what it's worth, they mentioned TATP, acetone peroxide on FOX this morning. No idea if that is what they are really using. I seem to remember that the Boston Bombers used repurposed fireworks in a pressure cooker, but that could be wrong.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 79S
At the height of the Iraq war it was a known fact Iran was sending some of the best bomb building folks they had to Iraq to teach the Iraqi insurgents how to build bombs.. So safe to say they learned from someone that was taught during the war in Iraq and the war in Syria

Explosively Formed Penetrators. Cut a man right in half. There was a huge Army Buffalo at Camp Victory that got breached by a large one.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
I'd wager the Iranians are making it.

Almost surely, & w.o a doubt.

We/Europe/NATO has absolutely no strategy to address the problem; totally defensive, after the fact & reactive.

Need to destroy the nests where the vipers live & breed once & for all.

But I'll not hold my breath...............

MM

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a friend that dealt with I.E.D.'s in iraq. Lots built with material from across the border from Iran. And parts made by american companies smuggled into iran.
It goes on.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Does it make sense to be discussing a topic like this on an open forum where the information might be accessed those who would use it to do harm? I know, I know the information is available all over the internet but do we have to hand it to them here?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They have their pick of ordnance once Obama pulled out of Iraq and left everything to them...

Hummers, rifles, rpg's, whatever they want.

What they don't have they can buy with money from stolen oil.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They can't have done this. Building and owning bombs is strictly illegal here !!! (ironic)

Va t'in tch�re !
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Does it make sense to be discussing a topic like this on an open forum where the information might be accessed those who would use it to do harm? I know, I know the information is available all over the internet but do we have to hand it to them here?

Yes, it makes sense, because knowledge of what is happening is far too uncommon, even here.

Now putting stuff on an open forum about HOW to make stuff, that should not occur.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
gw, I'm not sure it matters a tinder's damn to the terrorists or the GWOT what our speculations on this question might be. You're quite right, they can get this info off the innanet, or down at the public library. If they can read, that is. And if they can't, they can get their imam or whatever to read it for them. Nothin' to get yer knickers in a twist over.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
For what it's worth, they mentioned TATP, acetone peroxide on FOX this morning. No idea if that is what they are really using. I seem to remember that the Boston Bombers used repurposed fireworks in a pressure cooker, but that could be wrong.

TATP was used previously in terrorist attack against the UK a few years ago.

Apparently its very potent stuff although highly unstable.

Re the damage done..part of that is down to the fact the bombs were detonated *inside* the building so the over pressure is going to have the maximum effect when it comes to blowing out windows ect..

The other thing is the size of the devices.. Think of the explosive power of say a hand grenade with just a few ounces of explosive, then consider that these vests contain probably 15lb to 20lb??? If the devices were concealed in rucksacks or luggage, they could be even bigger...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
looks like they blew off explosive luggages in the airport.

1 individual travel luggage can hold many pounds of stuff, easily 20 kilos clothes and travel stuff so I bet much more explosive material.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Seeing the massive damage and carnage wrought by the Brussels bombs, I was wondering what kind of explosive Islamic terrorists are most apt to employ. I have seen the videos of I.E.D.s exploding and, obviously, those are re-purposed artillery shells. The explosions and damage that suicide vests, suitcases, backpacks, etc. produce seem all out of proportion to their size. Anybody know?

RS
As a general rule all high explosives tend to perform very similar. There's only about a 10% difference in effectiveness between that which qualifies as a high explosive, and the most efficient high explosives like C4.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by RipSnort

RS
As a general rule all high explosives tend to perform very similar. There's only about a 10% difference in effectiveness between that which qualifies as a high explosive, and the most efficient high explosives like C4.

TNT is the baseline, with an RE factor of 1.00. C4 has a brissance of 1.34. Different explosives do different work. Lower brissance will push, higher will cut/shatter steel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
looks like they blew off explosive luggages in the airport.

1 individual travel luggage can hold many pounds of stuff, easily 20 kilos clothes and travel stuff so I bet much more explosive material.

There are reports that one vest failed to detonate and has been recovered, along with an "AK47"...This is from the airport..

Heard reports that the vests used in Paris had two detonation systems..one for the wearer and one to allow it to be detonated remotely, should the wearer change his or her mind...Not sure if the wearers know this but I suspect not..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
They can't have done this. Building and owning bombs is strictly illegal here !!! (ironic)

yeah, surprising!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wild guessing here but TATP is usually home made and unstable....not a good choice. As someone said, SEMTEX is a llikely candidate, as is PETN.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here's a picture of 3 suspects wheeling luggage through a terminal.
http://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/183701-dit-zijn-verdachten-aanslag-zaventem

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.