Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yeah...the media reported early that there were Kalashnikovs laying about....but no one heard any shots, and the guys that blew themselves up were too disarticulated....

I swear if a kid falls off a curb somewhere the media will repot an AK-47 was involved...

Apparently shots were fired in the airport attack, possibly by the missing third terrorist..Looking at the photo's of the three it seems evident he had no intention of being a suicide bomber at least at that point. It also seems he planted and/or detonated the bomb at the Metro station an hour or so later, again before escaping...

Other reports are saying an empty flat linked to the terrorists has now been raised and other bomb making kit including another suicide vest and another AK 47 have been recovered..

I too don't put much faith in the accuracy of the Press, so just putting out this info with a view to see if it is later firmed up or not...

Last edited by Pete E; 03/22/16.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can they use cartridge powder to make bombs ?

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They could, quite easily although that would be a relatively low explosive but it would still be dangerous...

Personally I think it will either turn out to be TATP or a commercial/military grade high explosive...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
What is missed is these guys can smuggle in arms, explovises and whatever they need. Most of us do not know how to make bombs, where to get the stuff, and don't want to.

All we need to do is give them decent jobs, respect, and a loving atmosphere and they will reform.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Briefly I heard "TATP" in one of the Belgian press conferences today.

I guess that's why you can't buy decent hydrogen peroxide any longer. It's a fine disinfectant, but the stuff at the drug stores is so watered down that it barely fizzes when applied to a wound.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What type of explosives are they using? That's easy to answer, the exploding kind.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Allah Damn it!

AFM ....Allah Foiking Mohammad .... or would that be MFA? crazy

(I know, I know, it's probably just MF Goats.... grin )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
Can they use cartridge powder to make bombs ?

No, not a good one. Smokeless gunpowder is a propellant, not an explosive

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
correct...it was explained to me that smokeless powder burns in a few thousandths of a second, while a true explosive burns in a few millionths of a second - many times faster.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smokeless powder undergoes DEFLAGRATION, while black powder explodes. Pour a small train (about 3" long) of both and light.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
There are some applications where smokeless can serve as a secondary, but not primary component in a explosive. However the range of useful powders is very limited, and in the vast majority of instances adding it will degrade, not improve the explosive effect.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Smokeless powder undergoes DEFLAGRATION, while black powder explodes. Pour a small train (about 3" long) of both and light.

Put smokeless powder under pressure when you ignite it and it will jump over to the explosive side pretty quick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is NOT exploding. If it did, you would have pieces of your rifle sticking out of your head. Detonation is not a property of smokeless.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Chris_EOD
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by ingwe
Wild guessing here but TATP is usually home made and unstable....not a good choice. As someone said, SEMTEX is a llikely candidate, as is PETN.

Actually, TATP is the most likely candidate. It's the favorite of hezbollah and Hamas and is what was used in the London bombings. It's easy to make, and remains stable for about 72 hours. The usual pattern is for the suicide belt to be made the day before, and that night the jihadi parades around with it on in front of a camera denouncing the west. The next day, he goes boom.

If however the jihadi gets shot before detonating the belt, and according the Arab tradition the funeral is held three days after the death (four says after the explosives were home made), the mourners risk a TATP suprise:

No, it isn't.

Multiple news sources are reporting it was a home made version of TATP, possibly made by the same individual that manufactured the explosives for Paris.

So far it is TATP and Ammonium Nitrate. No detailed info yet, just quick looks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was pretty amazed how easy the stuff was to make. It took me 45 seconds and some Internet to watch a YouTube how to video.

That's crazy.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It not as easy or risk free as many believe..

The guy in the article below was supposedly an expert in this sort of thing which is why the US approached the Brits for help. However even "experts" get it wrong sometimes...

Ministry of Defence Scientist Killed During Bomb Test

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TATP is the pitbull of explosives.
You can even find YT vids of people saying it isn't as sensitive as some would claim. Very foolish.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chris_EOD
TATP is the pitbull of explosives.
You can even find YT vids of people saying it isn't as sensitive as some would claim. Very foolish.

Yep..its one of the reasons why TATP is not used commercially...Some methods/mixes are probably more stable than others, but its all relative...Even when made "correctly" its unstable and prone to rapid degradation...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There's a reason they call it the Mother of Satan.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
That is NOT exploding. If it did, you would have pieces of your rifle sticking out of your head. Detonation is not a property of smokeless.

You are correct. My comment was based loosely on (be it incorrectly so) the burn rate characteristics of smokeless under pressure as opposed to laying it out in a line in the open and lighting one end of it.

On a more serious note, I don't think I would be suggesting that anyone lay out a 3" line of black powder and just lighting it. Not if they value the hair on their upper body!!

added to say: it's taken me about 25 minutes to make this short post on this site... getting to be more hassle than it's worth

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.