Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Vortex Stike Eagle 1-6x24 AR-BDC

Recently I completed a 22 long rifle AR build. I used a Nordic upper, Seekins lower, CMC trigger, Midwest rail and a Magpul stock. It's a solid little rifle and runs so smooth. I do both indoor and outdoor shooting. I needed an optic that would focus at close range but also have some magnification. I currently run a 1-6x Razor Gen I on my M4. Since this was a 22 I wasn't about to spend $1600 on glass for it. During Shot Show this year I was introduced to the new Strike Eagle 1-6x optic. I was highly impressed with their budget optic now let's see how long it takes to hit the streets. They stated the summer of 2015.

Just last month I finished my rifle and was ready for some glass. I was able to get my hands on a Strike Eagle and 2in cantilever mount (CM-202). Their mount has a very clean look and is well built. The first thing I was curious about is whether or not this is a true 1x. I had no issues aiming with both eyes open. Very fast to acquire a target with the horse shoe reticle. Next, was will the LED be bright enough for day time use? Over sand at my range in very bright light the LED cannot be seen. At the same time, the reticle lends itself to fast target acquisition so it's not even needed. I was able to see the red LED on the surrounding area and slightly on the target but not on the sand. Next, I got out my shot timer (PAC club timer) to see what my times were compared to my M4 with an Eotech 552. I ran several drills starting from low ready with the safety on. My average time for the Strike Eagle was approx 1.0 second. I had a few runs in .92, .85 but most were right around 1.03, 1.01. With my Eotech my average time was approx .90 so they both are pretty close. Since Im using two similar rifles it was a pretty fair test. Keep in mind I was shooting at 6inch targets. If I used a bigger target I'm sure I could be slightly faster. But, aim small, miss small. When I moved the target out to 50 yards I was able to drill the small dept. shield on the top of the target. That would be next to impossible with a standard red dot.

Future testing will include, mounting it on my M4 and running it out to 600 yards. My local range is only 200 yards. I have to drive 4 hours to really be able to shoot. Overall, I was very impressed with the clarity of the glass and all the features. The windage turret even carries a spare battery.(already used this feature) That's some awesome thinking on their part. I loved the smooth power ring and the reticle wasn’t too busy. So far I've made 3 trips out to the range with this setup. For the money, this is the perfect optic for someone who wants to shoot close quarters as well as long range. I have several buddies that are now waiting to upgrade their red dots after shooting this optic!

As always my optic guy is Doug from Cameraland. Im loving the new store so close to my house. Its going to get expensive.
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexoptics

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by bhoges; 08/17/15.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
GB1

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Forgot to add. I coated the metal in Cerakote OD Green and Stealth Gray. Awesome finish. Looks factory and holds up excellent.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice! Zero it then drop it in the soft grass from Waist high 3 times and see if it has held zero! This is what I want to know! Should not hurt the rifle. Try to hit the scope at least on edge.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Also picked up one from Doug...before project was even finished

Have no complaints at all...so far... wink

Super clear glass....repeatable clicks......Stoner mount...

300 BLK.....AP lower...Shilen SS 8T tube...I like...

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Any updates on this review? Or anyone else have anything to add? Looking at possibly going with this over the SS 1-4.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Anyone have any feeling about the overall durability of the optic?

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Yeah, what Jimmy said too.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp

$330.........money well spent on glass.....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by jimmyp

$330.........money well spent on glass.....

So you've got one? And put it to the test?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I own one, mounted in a Bobro QD mount. I have only babied mine so I don't have any personal durability data to provide. For what I am using it for it's a good value. The glass has a little "tint" to it in my eyes which makes it non crystal clear. can't have it all for $300 I guess.

My buddy at work has one, and he is a big 3 gunner. Has been running it since last summer. He is tough on his gear (throwing in barrels, 300-500 rounds a week shooting, etc.). Overall he has been happy with his. He did have something go "off" inside the scope about two months ago, said the left side looked "fish-eyed" while looking through it. Sent it in on a Monday and had a new one back on Thursday.

[Linked Image]

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
IC B3

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
That's the kind of information we're looking for. Anyone else? Surely there's someone. It appears Doug can't keep them in stock, so there's got to be someone with an experienced scope.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Great review and info!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any new info on these? How is the clarity on high power?

Last edited by passport; 03/22/16.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just got one for T & E purposes, I'll post something after I use it for a while. I'm currently testing a Trijicon 1-4, we'll see how it compares to that.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Know nothing about recoilweb or the writer, but here's a review that might be somewhat helpful.

http://www.recoilweb.com/review-vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x-75265.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The big brown truck just put one on my door step about an hour ago and I have it all mounted up. Looks pretty dam good, seems clear, positive adjustments, like the reticle.

I will get it to the range soon for further diagnosis.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Good deal. I'm ordering in about 2 weeks. On the fence btwn this and the SWFA SS1-4.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not seen the SWFA but these are pretty kick ass and offer a bit more power.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just curious, but why have a 1x power? The only one that I ever looked through, seemed worse than if I was just looking at it with a naked eye.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Just curious, but why have a 1x power? The only one that I ever looked through, seemed worse than if I was just looking at it with a naked eye.

A wide field of view for quick target acquisition as close ranges.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.