Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
JoeBob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Oh, do honestly think that I know where my wife chooses to take our daughter for the sniffles? Tell me now, where one find one of these elusive GP doctors you speak of? My wife has one. My daughter has one. But good luck trying to get an appointment within a week of calling. I currently am on a waiting list to see if I will be accepted by a doctor as a new patient. They said that they would let me know in about a month and then I could make an appointment.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we have a handful of those urgent care places around my community

I've gone 3 times personally and they have been incompetent to say the least

the worst was telling me I had torn my ACL when I actually had a microfracture in my tibia, and I've yet to get a practitioner that I had any confidence in.

The last straw was taking my daughter for an ear infection - and them giving her a $187 prescription which didn't work, then going to our family doctor and getting a $1.57 prescription that had her well in 2 days.

Other than school physicals or getting some other mandatory form based procedure expedited, If I can avoid it, I will never set foot in one of those places again.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/04/16.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It's an ER, the accept everyone. Now it looks like any other urgent care place, but it is an ER. I'm sure that they will bill the schit out of Medicaid just like anywhere else.

The poor folks know to go to JPS hospital. They don't go to these places.

First thing: like any ER, they are required by law to give anyone who walks in the door a "medical screening exam". This is used to determine if you have a "true emergency", i.e., a life-threatening or potentially disabling injury/illness. If you don't have a "true emergency", the facility can then require you to provide insurance info or cash prior to treatment.

These places DO NOT TAKE Medicare or Medicaid. So if your problem is deemed non-emergent, and you have M&M coverage only, they'll require you to pay cash up front. If your problem is truly emergent, they are required to treat you... but they still don't take M&M, so you'll be on the hook for the charge out of pocket.

Most Medicaid types know where to go for care, so they won't be hurt by these places. But seniors who haven't educated themselves are gonna take a pounding.

Not pretty.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Then get tele a doc on your health plan.

Understand how hard it is to get a Doc in this area. The system is not like it used to be. But these places are popping up all over out here.
Using one of those ER's is going to cost you as you have found out.
Convenience is going to cost a lot.

I suggest you have a sit down with the family on the cost and a stuffy nose or raise your hourly rate to $500 an hour to cover it.

whistle

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DocRocket
It's an ER, the accept everyone. Now it looks like any other urgent care place, but it is an ER. I'm sure that they will bill the schit out of Medicaid just like anywhere else.

First thing: like any ER, they are required by law to give anyone who walks in the door a "medical screening exam". This is used to determine if you have a "true emergency", i.e., a life-threatening or potentially disabling injury/illness. If you don't have a "true emergency", the facility can then require you to provide insurance info or cash prior to treatment.

These places DO NOT TAKE Medicare or Medicaid. So if your problem is deemed non-emergent, and you have M&M coverage only, they'll require you to pay cash up front. If your problem is truly emergent, they are required to treat you... but they still don't take M&M, so you'll be on the hook for the charge out of pocket.

Most Medicaid types know where to go for care, so they won't be hurt by these places. But seniors who haven't educated themselves are gonna take a pounding.

Not pretty.

There we go. Doc Rocket knows.
Consider yourself educated JoeBob.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

J
JoeBob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Emergency screening? They called my daughter's sniffles, Moderate Severity.

J
JoeBob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J

Not pretty.

There we go. Doc Rocket knows.
Consider yourself educated JoeBob.

No, he doesn't. They actually do take Medicare and Medicaid. It is a way for them to call something an Emergency and get more money from Medicare and Medicaid than the $27.50 they would for office visits.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was woeking in Ca., I got/had a sinus infection. Went to the regular hospital and there was at least 50 people in the waiting room. Asked the girl at the desk, when I could see the doc and was told it would be at least 5-6 hrs.

Went to one of these emergency care places and saw a doc in 20 min or so. Cost around $600 for steroid shot, antibiotic shot, and sample pack of antibiotics (in case I couldn't get to pharmacy till the next day). Meds were about $150.

Went to my regular doc a few months with same problem. Dr visit, steroid shot, and antibiotic shot was $165. Meds about $50.

Lot of difference between $750 and $225ish.

$1800 is overkill!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joe Bob, not out to get you. There is very few new Docs. around that are setting up new practices. I do know that. All the Docs are moving to the corporate gathering set up.
I can't even get in to see my Doc. for sniffles or just feeling bad.
So what I do is don't go. I know you don't want your child to face that but things have changed. Wife had her colonoscopy canceled two months ago by the big guys out here cause they sold out to a new group that didn't take our insurance. This was 3 days before the procedure.

The days of just because your allergies are acting up and going to the doc to get a Z pac and a shot may be over or your going to have to go with the ball game of what DFW has become. Money is king.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldman03
When I was woeking in Ca., I got/had a sinus infection. Went to the regular hospital and there was at least 50 people in the waiting room. Asked the girl at the desk, when I could see the doc and was told it would be at least 5-6 hrs.

Went to one of these emergency care places and saw a doc in 20 min or so. Cost around $600 for steroid shot, antibiotic shot, and sample pack of antibiotics (in case I couldn't get to pharmacy till the next day). Meds were about $150.

Went to my regular doc a few months with same problem. Dr visit, steroid shot, and antibiotic shot was $165. Meds about $50.

Lot of difference between $750 and $225ish.

These new so called ER's are associated with a real hospital, that's how they charge so much for facilities usage.

You can all thank Zero for how things are turning out in the med. field.

My blood work is charged out at $1,200 dollars a visit for just a few things such as A1c, fats in blood test etc.
All run though a hospital for the blood work. Insurance pays under $200 and the corp hospital has to accept this. Corp hospital then uses the $1,000 lose as a write off.

The old time Docs visits are no more out here in my area. Gone.
As soon as the baby boomers are all dead, then things may change back with too many buildings to fill and not enough paying people.

Last edited by Wtxj; 04/04/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not related to this directly but another thing I've noticed in the last year or so

it used to be that if I got a rather large medical bill, I could send in the "payments" to the docs office - you know - $100 - $200 a month or whatever to pay it off in 3 or 4 months

The past two times I've done this, the office turned me over to a collection agency without any notice

just yesterday I got a notice from a collection agency for $59

after I had been sending them $100 for the past 2 months.

Never had that issue until this year - and I still do it with the big medical group. It appears they still have a tolerance for it where individual doctors don't.

I'm going to send the $59 directly to the doctor, screw that collection agency

Last edited by KFWA; 04/04/16.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

No, he doesn't. They actually do take Medicare and Medicaid.

Really? That's surprising. If you read the link I put up earlier, you'll note that the norm is for these free-standing ER's to refuse Medicare/Medicaid.

It is a way for them to call something an Emergency and get more money from Medicare and Medicaid than the $27.50 they would for office visits.

Well, that's about as far from actually how it works as I can imagine. But I won't try to convince you otherwise.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Med bills don't mess with your credit rating.

Keep paying the folks you have been and they will be happy.

They told me the computer keeps sending out these notices and they have a collection party on retainer for the saps that just get intimated by a notice.

Had the same thing happen to the tune of about 27,000 a long time ago and asked them if they wanted the money or just wanted to carry a loss on their books for a lot of years.

They told me to keep paying like i had been,got it done,after a while.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was wondering if anything had changed.

Admittedly with Obamacare's influence on my insurance coverage, I find myself with multi-thousand dollar bills from medical providers 2 or 3 times a year now.

its takes a bit to cover that unlike 4 years ago where I *might* see a single bill for $200 in a year.

Thank you Obama

Last edited by KFWA; 04/05/16.

J
JoeBob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J

No, he doesn't. They actually do take Medicare and Medicaid.

Really? That's surprising. If you read the link I put up earlier, you'll note that the norm is for these free-standing ER's to refuse Medicare/Medicaid.

It is a way for them to call something an Emergency and get more money from Medicare and Medicaid than the $27.50 they would for office visits.

Well, that's about as far from actually how it works as I can imagine. But I won't try to convince you otherwise.

Well, tell me how it works then.

They can't turn down an emergency. They evaluate to see if something is an emergency. Call it an "emergency" and they can bill for it.

It is similar to Cool Smiles and all these kids oriented dental places you see all over these days. They are doing things like placing caps on baby teeth and billing Medicaid for it.

Last edited by JoeBob; 04/05/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
not related to this directly but another thing I've noticed in the last year or so

it used to be that if I got a rather large medical bill, I could send in the "payments" to the docs office - you know - $100 - $200 a month or whatever to pay it off in 3 or 4 months

The past two times I've done this, the office turned me over to a collection agency without any notice

just yesterday I got a notice from a collection agency for $59

after I had been sending them $100 for the past 2 months.

Never had that issue until this year - and I still do it with the big medical group. It appears they still have a tolerance for it where individual doctors don't.

I'm going to send the $59 directly to the doctor, screw that collection agency

Seeing as how I just paid the last of my dr. bills (from my fall in 12/13), I'm familiar with this procedure. It's true that you can pay some each month, to pay your medical bill. But, you are required to call the medical facility, that you owe, and make arrangements for the monthly payments. If you don't make arrangements or renege on a payment, then the facility has the right to send it to a collection agency.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah, it seems Obamacare has f'd with Everybody's health care in a negative way. Except for expanding Medicaid to about 30,000 people who didn't have it before, it didn't help anybody but the insurance companies and the gubmint.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

They can't turn down an emergency. They evaluate to see if something is an emergency. Call it an "emergency" and they can bill for it.

Re-read my previous post, #11096920. I explained it there. The "medical screening exam" gets them off the hook for turning down anything other than a true emergency.

J
JoeBob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm trying to get my wife used to the fact that her work insurance now cost three times as much and has a $4,900 deductible instead of a $500 deductible.

J
JoeBob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J

Re-read my previous post, #11096920. I explained it there. The "medical screening exam" gets them off the hook for turning down anything other than a true emergency.

And you're not getting the point that the "medical screening exam" allows them to classify anything they want as an emergency and bill at emergency rates.

For instance my daughter's bill reads "Emergency Dept Moderate Severity", despite the fact that her visit was in no way an emergency.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 3,120 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,524
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.