-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 70 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 69 70
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You know John, now that you say that, I do believe he was using the 180 FS, not the 180 Partition. It was along time ago. I have that kill on DVD.

I had 180 FS's fail to open from my 300 on a cow elk... tiny holes in and out, zero expansion. But she tipped over because both shots, from 325 yards, were within 6" of each other and both punched the lungs. However, she gave ZERO indication of having been hit.

I dislike mono's because of that other instances of failure to open.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Brad,
I've killed a LOT of game with Fail Safes, from eland size down to gazelles in Africa, plus elk and mule deer over here. Never noticed if any penciled on thru but everything died in one helluva hurry! Since then I've used the TTSXs in my 300 and 270 with similar results. No flies on other bullets like NPs or Swifts, North Forks, etc. but none give me the accuracy those TTSXs produce. I've got an elk hunt to do this fall, going to use my 7mm Mashburn, which is currently being built. I might just switch up and use a NP, or maybe a 160 BBC someone was gracious enough to supply! In either case, I'm sure the elk will die rather quickly if I do my part. And that type of result is common with most calibers/bullets if the hunter can shoot accurately.

Jorge,
Take that 300H&H and enjoy your first elk hunt. Any 300 is never a bad choice for elk, and IMO they're still the single best cartridge for most hunting and for most species under the widest range of circumstances.

Last edited by John55; 04/10/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John I am waiting with anticipation to see that Mashburn! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by John55
Brad,
Years back when Allen Day shot the two buffalo using his 300, the ammo was factory WW using 180gr Fail Safe bullets. We had many phone conversations about that hunt as well as the ones we made together.
As for Echols not using freeborn in his Legends chambered to 300Wby, this is not completely true. He typically short throats them but one cannot load ammo that touches the lands and have it fit in his mag boxes. And they can handle most all of the Wby factory ammo w/o pressure troubles.

My understanding was that they were not safe to fire with factory ammo. Could be wrong though.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad
You know John, now that you say that, I do believe he was using the 180 FS, not the 180 Partition. It was along time ago. I have that kill on DVD.

I had 180 FS's fail to open from my 300 on a cow elk... tiny holes in and out, zero expansion. But she tipped over because both shots, from 325 yards, were within 6" of each other and both punched the lungs. However, she gave ZERO indication of having been hit.

I dislike mono's because of that other instances of failure to open.

Even when mono metals open they don't have that 6-8" path of initial destruction something like a partition, AB, or BT does. As such they simply don't kill as dramaticly.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've shot several factory loads in mine with no issues. I recall Darcy mentioning one particular loading to avoid, but don't remember which one it was. I typically shoot game in the shoulder area, something the folks in Africa were adamant about. The mono bullets excel for that type of bullet placement, and for me they've produced some pretty dramatic drop in their tracks kills. If I were more of a chest cavity shooter I'd think the NP or similar bullets might show quicker effects. The high shoulder shot that imparts shock into or severes the spine is very reliable and provides zero tracking jobs. I like that!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've shot several factory loads in mine with no issues. I recall Darcy mentioning one particular loading to avoid, but don't remember which one it was. I typically shoot game in the shoulder area, something the folks in Africa were adamant about. The mono bullets excel for that type of bullet placement, and for me they've produced some pretty dramatic drop in their tracks kills. If I were more of a chest cavity shooter I'd think the NP or similar bullets might show quicker effects. The high shoulder shot that imparts shock into or severes the spine is very reliable and provides zero tracking jobs. I like that!

100% in agreement with you, John. This has been my experience as well. As to the 300 H&H, we'll see when that damned Zeiss gets back from Germany. I'm still irritated at that! We'll see, hell, half the fun is picking a battery.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Jorge,
No need to wait for the Zeiss, just put a NF on it and forget it! But seriously, I'm sure you have enough substitutes already that can be used.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I never had any issues with the factory loads using the original Lubalox-coated FS, but when Winchester replaced the Lubalox with molybdenum, I decided not to use those for hunting.

The one at the left was retrieved from a moose I shot with my .338 years ago. A 200-yard (or so) shot that broke the near shoulder bone clipped the heart's arteries, and stopped at the hide after hitting the far shoulder. The second is a 250-grain A-Frame from another moose I shot through the shoulder at about the same distance, maybe a little farther. While the front lead portion broke off the A-Frame, you can clearly see how well the jacket is fused to the lead. It's quite a tough bullet, but very expensive although I like it more that the softer NOS Partition for hunting in bear country.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have only been able to retrieve that FS, and the A-Frame from moose. And all the Barnes 3-shock have passed right through and killed fast. I settled down to the 225-grain TTSX for all my hunting.

Last edited by Ray; 04/10/16.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I never used the moly coated ones either. Had a source for the Lubalox coated version so stayed with them exclusively. Still have a bunch of them, might dip into the stash one time soon and see if they're still any good!

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ray

I never had any issues with the factory loads using the original Lubalox-coated FS, but when Winchester replaced the Lubalox with molybdenum, I decided not to use those for hunting.

The one at the left was retrieved from a moose I shot with my .338 years ago. A 200-yard (or so) shot that broke the near shoulder bone clipped the heart's arteries, and stopped at the hide after hitting the far shoulder. The second is a 250-grain A-Frame from another moose I shot through the shoulder at about the same distance, maybe a little farther. While the front lead portion broke off the A-Frame, you can clearly see how well the jacket is fused to the lead. It's quite a tough bullet, but very expensive although I like it more that the softer NOS Partition for hunting in bear country.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have only been able to retrieve that FS, and the A-Frame from moose. And all the Barnes 3-shock have passed right through and killed fast. I settled down to the 225-grain TTSX for all my hunting.

I would take a partition over either of those every day of the week. Wouldn't worry about the need to hit the shoulder blades to get abrupt kills either.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Ray

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I would take a partition over either of those every day of the week. Wouldn't worry about the need to hit the shoulder blades to get abrupt kills either.

Not me. I don't have any trouble with a 255 through 250-grain (or maybe 275-grain A-Frame), but I only use Barnes TTSX these days. And I don't shoot to break the shoulder unless for whatever reason I want to. I have shot moose through the lungs with the Federal 250-grain NOS HE. It dropped right there, and my friends and I were amazed about the lead and jacket disintegration. But I would not use that bullet/load combination to break a shoulder when hunting in bear country.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use them because that is my preferred shot, and I know they will deliver. If I wanted something more conventional I'd use a North Fork or Swift, if choosing from currently available bullets.
I quit NPs 25yrs ago, they really never impressed me all that much, either for accuracy or busting thru a lot of bone. If they make others happy then by all means they should use them. I'm only concerned about what I use!

Last edited by John55; 04/10/16.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use them because that is my preferred shot, and I know they will deliver. If I wanted something more conventional I'd use a North Fork or Swift, if choosing from currently available bullets.

My favorite shot on moose is one low through the lungs, since there is the possibility of hitting the heart. But there are times where the moose is not perfectly broadside, and moving toward a place I don't want it to go. I am with you on this in that I want tough bullets just in case, specially in bear country. The Partition Gold should be fine, but I have a "load of Barnes reloads" already.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ray-
I tried the PGs right after they came out and could not see much difference in them and the regular version. Back in the early '90s I was using a lot of Jack Carter's Bear Claws, those were quite a good bullet. The North Forks have worked very much like them on the few animals I've used them on, big mushroom with 90%+ retained weight. If I were to switch off of the TTSXs I'd likely go straight to the NF because they are also super accurate and always hold together.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I would imagine this should be enough crunch for anyone. I would use it on about anything here in North America..

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob -

What is that bullet?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks like one of them old BBCs😎

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
smile

CH/John: Yes that is a 160 gr 7mm BBC that hit a bull elk from above and behind, over the withers into the back of the neck just forward of the shoulders; traveled the full length of the neck busting up a lot of vertebrae and pulped a lot of muscle. I found it under his chin while caping.

Weighs about 159 gr,and is expanded to about 70 caliber as you see it.

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/10/16.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ray-
I tried the PGs right after they came out and could not see much difference in them and the regular version. Back in the early '90s I was using a lot of Jack Carter's Bear Claws, those were quite a good bullet. The North Forks have worked very much like them on the few animals I've used them on, big mushroom with 90%+ retained weight. If I were to switch off of the TTSXs I'd likely go straight to the NF because they are also super accurate and always hold together.

About four days after shooting that moose through the lungs with a Federal 250-grain HE, my friends and I returned, they to hunt moose, while I to keep them company and enjoy the rest of the moose season. So I am standing on the same rocky knob where I had shot the moose from, and all of the sudden I see this huge grizzly moving away from the gut pile somewhat in my direction, but angling to my left about 125 yards away. I could see the top of the bear moving down a ravine, but not the area low on the chest. I was glad that I didn't have to shoot the bear since the rifle was loaded with the same ammo I had used on the moose. In my view, a milder load somewhere around 2600 fps helps the Partition stay together. But the HE load while great for lung shots, was just too fast shoulder shots.

All I hear are nothing but good comments about the NF bullets, but I have never tried them.

Page 24 of 70 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 35WhelenNut, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 32 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,613
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.