Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Les was telling me he has to carry a machete everywhere on his farm in the Philippines because of all the cobras.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Yesterday I was clearing out a beaver dam (damn?)behind my house and causing a good bit of flooding. While playing in the muck I had two water moccasins and one banded water snake cruise past me. We just looked at each other and I let em go. Figure they punch a time clock just like I do. I'll give em a pass unless they are IN my back yard and venomous.

The one in my avatar measured 7'2" un-streached, and was crawling around the neighbor's back door. She didn't get a pass.

Last edited by Godogs57; 04/09/16.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
I love snakes and almost always give them a pass, even and perhaps especially the rattlesnakes. I hunted them for years and it would be hard to find a more innocuous creature.I see no sense whatsoever in killing a snake simply because it is a snake.
I was soundly berated here one day by Varmintguy for saying this. By his logic if I didn't kill every one, some day a child might run into that snake and be harmed.....

By that thought process I ought to take it upon myself and pull over every stupid driver I see and head shoot them.....they kill far more children than snakes. And as much as I'd like to do that, I don't have enough ammo.....

I am in your Camp on this also. The "Kill all Snakes" mentality is an old subconscious superstition because of Eve and the Apple that has been preached for so many years.

Out here we have the Mojave Green which is one of the most deadly snakes in the world because of it's venom. Yet they are one of the most Docile Reptiles I have ever handled.

Countless of times I have stood in the Brush taking a leak and looked down to see a Green slowly easing away from my foot without ever coiling or rattling at all. I have even accidently stepped on these many times without any return aggressiveness.

The only people that have been bitten around here were City folks screwing with them using a stick or similar type situations and they were given no choice but to defend themselves from the Human.

I just coax them away from the yard and on their way and unless they decide to Camp under my steps then unfortunately at this point I can't take a chance with the Kids and Animals and they become stew. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
I love snakes and almost always give them a pass, even and perhaps especially the rattlesnakes. I hunted them for years and it would be hard to find a more innocuous creature.I see no sense whatsoever in killing a snake simply because it is a snake.
I was soundly berated here one day by Varmintguy for saying this. By his logic if I didn't kill every one, some day a child might run into that snake and be harmed.....

By that thought process I ought to take it upon myself and pull over every stupid driver I see and head shoot them.....they kill far more children than snakes. And as much as I'd like to do that, I don't have enough ammo.....

I have a bunch of ammo I can send you, what you need???

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If it's in my yard and can kill ya or the dogs, it's dead.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Les was telling me he has to carry a machete everywhere on his farm in the Philippines because of all the cobras.

Les... has a farm??? in the Phillipines???? I missed that somewhere along the line.

Re killing snakes.... rattlers have nice hides... and they eat very good.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 21, 67 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,389
Posts18,527,717
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.