Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Hey Phil,

Just for curiosity's sake, where would you draw the line and tell a client "no you are not allowed to bring that small of gun on a bear hunt"?

Hey Phil,

Are you going to answer my question?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The quote pulled from the AK F&G regulations, reference to the .270Win/30-06, is a defining statement for many of us to remember.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Phil,

Just for curiosity's sake, where would you draw the line and tell a client "no you are not allowed to bring that small of gun on a bear hunt"?

Hey Phil,

in the past 37 years that I have been guiding bear hunters here in Alaska I have found the biggest problem, by far, is hunters bringing magnum rifles that they can't shoot. Which means a tracking job for me at best and occasionally a lost bear.
And the quickest kills are from hunters using rifles that they are familiar with and can shoot well. I had one hunter kill a brown bear with his 257 Weatherby with Nosler partitions and a couple others use 270's.
I am not obsessed with the size of the hole in the barrel, but rather the ability of the shooter.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So there you have it. Between Finn, Phil and Mule Deer, not much more to say.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My Dad blew ones lungs all over a berry patch with 160 Partitions in his 7RSAUM a few years ago. He put one through the chest from each side and the bear made it maybe 25 yards.

Wasn't a huge bear, 7' inland grizzly, but dead from a well placed shot with what is arguably not even a magnum 7mm.

Know a guy who has a grizzly in the record books he killed with a 308 and I think CoreLokts. Another fellow who killed a 9'er with one chest shot from his 16" barreled 30/30 with a factory Silvertip.

They can be hard to kill at times but in the end they are made of blood and organs like anything else. Make a good first shot and prepare for sticker shock when you hear what they're charging to make a rug these days.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The outfit I hunted brown bears with recommended nothing smaller than a 375, with 416 being preferable. I used my 33 G&A and did just fine but they were skeptical about it, being as they had seen poor results with the 338. They also preferred soft bullets, namely Hornady round nosed type.

Last edited by John55; 04/10/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
Hey Phil,

Hey Phil,

in the past 37 years that I have been guiding bear hunters here in Alaska I have found the biggest problem, by far, is hunters bringing magnum rifles that they can't shoot. Which means a tracking job for me at best and occasionally a lost bear.
And the quickest kills are from hunters using rifles that they are familiar with and can shoot well. I had one hunter kill a brown bear with his 257 Weatherby with Nosler partitions and a couple others use 270's.
I am not obsessed with the size of the hole in the barrel, but rather the ability of the shooter.

Very interesting Phil, thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by laker
How heavy is a brown bears shoulder bone structure compared to an elk or a moose?

Very, very light. Not even in the same Zip Code. A brown bear's scapula is light enough I fleshed one out shot by OlBlue (8'+ older bear as I recall) and took a photo of it with an orange handled knife behind it on a gorgeous Kodiak spring day.

You can clearly see the color and shape of the handle THROUGH the scapula!

Materials science weights a lot of materials in very specific ways and the bb scapula is an ultimate example. Clearly they are designed to the ultimate needs of brown bears, but heft appears to be unimportant. I suspect shock-absorption and strength in virtually every other dimension is the real test of a brown bear skeleton.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by laker
How heavy is a brown bears shoulder bone structure compared to an elk or a moose?

Very, very light. Not even in the same Zip Code. A brown bear's scapula is light enough I fleshed one out shot by OlBlue (8'+ older bear as I recall) and took a photo of it with an orange handled knife behind it on a gorgeous Kodiak spring day.

You can clearly see the color and shape of the handle THROUGH the scapula!

Materials science weights a lot of materials in very specific ways and the bb scapula is an ultimate example. Clearly they are designed to the ultimate needs of brown bears, but heft appears to be unimportant. I suspect shock-absorption and strength in virtually every other dimension is the real test of a brown bear skeleton.

They say the world's great predators are built well muscled and light boned.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Failed to mention I have posted that photo here many times and it should still be here.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by John55
The outfit I hunted brown bears with recommended nothing smaller than a 375, with 416 being preferable. I used my 33 G&A and did just fine but they were skeptical about it, being as they had seen poor results with the 338. They also preferred soft bullets, namely Hornady round nosed type.

"Guide" and "Knowledgeable about guns" are far from synonymous...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by John55

I get a kick out of stuff like that. Back in the day I remember Jim Carmichael writing about how the .338 impressed him on Cape Buffalo.......

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I thought it was a bit over the top, but they have their reasons. They don't seem to hurt for clients😉

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by jwall
I've always REALLY like that pic.

Jerry

Yes I agree. Plus Phil ought to patent that camo pattern.

I see no camo. But I suppose that must be the entire point.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My cousin took both of his big bears with a 270 and 150 grain Bronze points.

My cousin talked about a guy he'd met who had shot a grizzly in British Columbia with a 22-250...DRT...

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a baited brown bear hunt scheduled for june 2017. I asked the question. I've got either a 30/06 or 375 Ruger. I was told either would be good. 375 would be better but the 06 will work. I'm leaning towards the 06--I can drive tacks with it. Ask Ingwe, he saw the head shot on the dink pig on the 24 hour Hog hunt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cindy Rhodes shot a Kodiak bear that remains in the top 10, All-Time B&C.

The 7x57 piled him up with a single shot...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Cindy Rhodes shot a Kodiak bear that remains in the top 10, All-Time B&C.

The 7x57 piled him up with a single shot...

Dang it, Now you've gone & done it !! frown

Let the cat out of The bag ! ! grin

Don't tell Inger ! laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
My cousin took both of his big bears with a 270 and 150 grain Bronze points....

The 270 Bronze Points only came in 130 gr, 150 Bronze Points were 30 cal.

Having said that, I have killed quite a few "big" bears with a 270, including one that fell at my feet, literally close enough to touch with the muzzle of the rifle.

Don't tell Ingwe that either, smile

Ted

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
My cousin took both of his big bears with a 270 and 150 grain Bronze points....

The 270 Bronze Points only came in 130 gr, 150 Bronze Points were 30 cal.

Having said that, I have killed quite a few "big" bears with a 270, including one that fell at my feet, literally close enough to touch with the muzzle of the rifle.

Don't tell Ingwe that either, smile

Ted

Ted
And Riley "managed" to kill a modest brown bear with a 25-06 spitting 80gr TTSX... It took two shots, but either was 100% lethal and quickly so.
art

Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,160
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.