Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
So...we've got a genius in Algebra....that can't change a friggin flat tire out!!

My AZZ!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Post oak I believe his reference was to year 5 of primary school not a 5 year old child

Could be wrong but that's the way I read it

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
California Algebra

Z + (3X+2Y/S)= K

Where:

Z = Governor
X = Special Activists
Y = Legislators
S = Blithering idiots
K = Clusterphuoc Magnitude

You forgot an exponent there, DD

grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Post oak I believe his reference was to year 5 of primary school not a 5 year old child

Could be wrong but that's the way I read it

Yep - "wu nian" = year five of primary school.

As for differences in mathematical ability between Asians and Europeans, I'm of the opinion it's more nurture than nature. The amount of math homework required is rather staggering. Though on the whole, it's very, very, very, very, very, very repetitive (get it?). But it's a constant honing of mathematical ability - creating those neural pathways that will last a lifetime.

The thing is, is that at least at the year 3 level, I can see no substantial difference between the curriculum my older boy had in CA vs that in China. It was all review for him. However, just due to the amount of work the Chinese kids are doing, I've no doubt they'd kick butt on Americans, maybe Europeans when it comes to mathematical aptitude tests. Their brains have been sharpened when it comes to math...

Now, if only they could do the same with driving skills...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by postoak
I was just perusing the Algebra requirements for high school and I noticed that in California Special Ed students are required to take and pass algebra.

What is it like in Texas, do they just give special ed students diplomas just for being special?

Why shouldn't they have to earn it like everyone else.

IC B2

P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
The point is that most people -- over half, in my experience, never even thoroughly "get" 6th and 7th grade math. It would be far better to spend years 8 - 11 relentlessly drilling these concepts and then give them a semester of algebra and geometry, than to cut away prematurely from these core subjects.

I have no idea what special ed. is like in Texas, but if they are trying to force them to learn subjects that even regular people struggle with, then it would be equally open to my criticism.

Okay, 5th grade, if you google "5 year olds calculus", you'll see that even they can learn some form of simple calculus.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
California Algebra

Z + (3X+2Y/S)= K

Where:

Z = Governor
X = Special Activists
Y = Legislators
S = Blithering idiots
K = Clusterphuoc Magnitude

You forgot an exponent there, DD

grin

Phuoc Me^3!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,956 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,528
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.