Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From my personal experience, few and far between...

Millennials are even worse.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Took me almost a year, but I did find a 21 year old that is willing to do it. They are few and far between. Went through a lot of people to find one, and a few were over 50 and didn't want to work.....

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should I count my blessings that all the guys working for me are bitchy, but at least most of them show up?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our parents coplained about our generation too. The ones that grew up during the Great Depression had no use for us.

Truth is, you have to learn to work. Harder to learn a work ethic growing up in an apartment. No yardwork to do, no animals to care for.

Raise the minimum wage to the point where the beginner jobs get automated, and kids won't have a chance to learn a work ethic.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
All three of my boys are and do, but I recognize that this is a vanishing virtue.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
far and few between is an understatement,
not just men either,the wife has a deli and she has a terrible time with employees also.Sad times,I can only imagine what it will be like in 10 yrs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My daughter was a top prep swimmer, and worked through high school and college giving swimming lessons and was the assitant manager at the local community pool. That was valuable work experience on both ends. She had to work "for" somebody else, but also had to manage her lesson schedule as her own "business:.

My son is 14 and is a top baseball and tennis player. He has his first job lined up helping to coach younger kids baseball at summer camp.

Using talent doing something they like to make some bucks.

The winter before I started college I went to baseball umpiring school. It's not quite as easy as I thought. I got a whole knew "education" on baseball, AND handling people. My best summer jobs after that were umpiring.

Kids will still work, but they have to learn how. Someone needs to teach them.

I just don't understand how anyone has a problem showing up clean and sober everyday. There are a bunch out there that can't don it.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
We start at 6 AM where I work and the majority of our employees are well under 50. A couple of our best/most ambitious/most dependable are in their early 20's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a former United States Air Force Recruiter, served in the late 1970's and have sorta kept up with the business since. I noted a recent study by the DOD that concluded 70% or more of people 17-28 years of age today are not qualified to enlist in the Armed Forces.

Too fat and out of shape from a lifetime of lying on the couch playing video games. No high school diploma. Too many run-ins with the law. Cant pass the drug test. Cant pass the written exam. Cant pass the physical strength and agility test. Cant pass the psych exam.

Pretty sad state of affairs. If you own a business, would you want to hire someone who couldn't make it into the Armed Forces? Probably not.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My son and daughter, 36 and 35 YO both work full time. Son has his own business, and employs 5-6 people part time. He has found some pretty decent people after firing a few. Interesting is that the better ones are 25-35 YO women that are supporting a kid or two and a boyfriend.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My 22 year old son does. Does turf and landscaping. Worked at La Cantera in San Antonio one summer and was generally at work by 4:30, earlier if there was a tournament. Works in Houston now and I think they start at 6 a.m. Now son #2 is a whole other story!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got laid off from a job that was 99% office and driving and will be going back in the field at the age of the 47 as a plumbing and heating installer. I'm willing, I just hope the body is. Losing weight via being in an active job role again will help with the physical part.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 3 sons ages 26, 29, and 34. One does concrete work, one works for the railroad, and one rough frames houses. They all work 40+ hours a week in relatively physically demanding jobs. There are some young folks who still poses a good work ethic.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still working at 72. Self employed boat builder.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Ask a 15-22 year old when was the last time they showed initiative.

Most that I interview don't know what that word means.

There are still some hard workers out there at any age, but they are less and less of a percentage of the population.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
really sharp, hard working folks have always been somewhat of a minority. Just the way life is, normally they go on to have some modicum of success.

but granted work ethic was a lot stronger in the greatest generation.

they largely grew up poor, had to work to contribute to their family's well being.

then they went off to WWII, came home and hard work and discipline were a snap to them.

having chores is one of the best thing for young people.

we never gave an allowance to our children for working around the house or doing their chores.

if they worked in our businesses or rental properties, they got paid for their work.

course it was pretty nice when they were young having the chance to let them know "we're going to get this work done on this property and I normally pay you $8 per hour, (hey it was 10-12 years ago), but if you're going to mope around and move in slow motion I'm going to pay you $4 per hour and the work is still going to get done, just take longer.

It's to my immense pleasure I can have the boys help me out in one of our businesses these days now that they're 17 & 22, pay them $20-25 per hour and know I'm still getting a good value, well on the older one anyway. The baby, sheesh he still has some stuff to learn.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son is under 50 and hard working. All his kids are hard working.
All my Grandkids old enough are working and either have or are are planning advanced degrees.
They were raised that if the wanted something they had to earn it, same as I was.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There sure a lot of great 20 somethings around here. I don't know hardly any that don't work well. Most were/are hireable straight out of high school. No problem getting hard workers here.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I do.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,859
Posts18,517,785
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.