Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Looking to get a re-sizer die to go with the Lee Collet die.
Should I get a body die or a full length die? Redding has both for the 6.5x55. The goal is to work the brass the least I can and minimize run out.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
HR IC

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There's no sense in pairing a FL die with the collet die, as it will resize the neck, which is the Lee's job. The Redding body dies work great.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my first Lee collet die last year (for a 270 Win) and use a Redding body die and Forster seating die with it. I like the combination so much that it will be my first choice for any new guns I get.

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
I bought my first Lee collet die last year (for a 270 Win) and use a Redding body die and Forster seating die with it. I like the combination so much that it will be my first choice for any new guns I get.

That's a pretty good combo right there cept I use Redding neck dies with bushings when I can.....
Forster seating dies rock...they're all I use....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Lee Collet neck sizer/Redding Body die is a hard combo to beat and a good value for the money.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Lee Collet neck sizer/Redding Body die is a hard combo to beat and a good value for the money.

DF

Should have mentioned in my post they are great value for the money.

Fieldgrade, I'm really enjoying that Forster seating die a lot.

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost all of my die sets are Lee collet - Redding body die - Redding competition seater, but the last one I put together used the Forster seater and I'm thinking I will go that route in the future. It does the same thing as the Redding comp seater for considerably less money.

Only drawback is that it doesn't fit neatly with the other dies in the Redding die boxes... frown

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
There's no sense in pairing a FL die with the collet die, as it will resize the neck, which is the Lee's job. The Redding body dies work great.

This was one of those forehead smacking "DOE!" comments for me.

I've always kept a standard FLS die around for all my cartridges, but never had to bump shoulders in my 30-06 or 257 AI which both have brass that has been cycled through >8x.

If avoiding runout is your goal the body die/LCNS pair is perfect.

The only downside there is that when (if??) you do have to bump shoulders you'll have an extra step vs. the FLS which can do it all in one stroke.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
MD: I understand the redundancy of the Collet and FL sizer. The collet will be the mainstay and sizer only when any significant expansion occurs. Or am I still out in left field?

Sounds like the body die will do as a bump die. I was concerned that their might be an area untouched by either at the base of the neck right in doughnut land.

Will try to limit the body die use to every 3rd to 5th or more loading but it will depend on the chamber and how hard I lean on it. I will reserve it until I get resistance in chambering. Otherwise neck size with the Lee only.

So Forester Seater, Lee Collet, and Redding Body die it is.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

This was one of those forehead smacking "DOE!" comments for me.

I've always kept a standard FLS die around for all my cartridges, but never had to bump shoulders in my 30-06 or 257 AI which both have brass that has been cycled through >8x.

If avoiding runout is your goal the body die/LCNS pair is perfect.

The only downside there is that when (if??) you do have to bump shoulders you'll have an extra step vs. the FLS which can do it all in one stroke.

The problem there is nine times out of ten the FL die will work the neck more than necessary.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not just get a 4 die Lee set ?

Collet, FL, Crimp and seat ? 48 bucks.

Work just as well in my 308 Match rifle as anything until you get into Redding Competition Bushing Neck Die set @ $440 w/bump die and carbide kit. The Lee comes with a shellholder and load data.

Even then the differences are in 10ths of an inch.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What kind of match rifle?

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Lee dies are great for the price and can load some consistent ammo. But I am the type that would second guess if they were the best and end up adding Forster or Redding dies later so there would go any cost savings.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Maybe not as good as a Redding Body Die, but I made a body die out of a Lee FL die that wasn't doing right. I ground out the neck with a Dremel so the only contact with the case is body and shoulder. Seems to work OK.

You only have to use the body die when bolt closure starts getting a bit hard. I get several reloads with the Lee Collet neck sizer before needing to use the body die.

DF

[Linked Image]

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Df: That will work.

No question I am over thinking this. Now my mental debate is whether to just get a type S FL die and use it without he bushings or expander as a body die. Then test to see if it will do better than the Lee Collet Die alone.

Only problem is the Forbes rifle as a platform and me as the shooter resulting in no conclusive results.

I guess the main point is not to order every die out there in the hopes it will make me a better shooter. A consistent 1-1.5" shooter can take a lot of game.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The price of the loading equipment doesn't always equate with producing the most concentric ammo. I like to go simple and get the most performance for the buck, as I reload for a number of rounds.

The Lee Collet neck sizer/body die combo is about the best value for producing concentric ammo.

Good seaters like the Wilson, Bonanza BR, Hornady, RCBS Competition, etc. that keep the bullet aligned, are an asset.

And a Sinclair or similar concentricity tool to see what you're doing.

Add a TruAngle tool to tweak runout and your're headed in the right direction without breaking the bank.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

Fieldgrade, I'm really enjoying that Forster seating die a lot.

Yea...they're great....especially if you reload any of the 17's....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Based on my Hornady concentricity (?) tester, the Lee crimp die does a lot to reduce runout.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Pretty much sums up most of my reloading....

but instead of a ton of REdding Body Dies, I pull the spindle out of a larger bore die based on the same case...

for instance a 260 die, makes a good 243 body die...

the 30/06 die makes a great 270 body die... and so on...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tejano
Lee dies are great for the price and can load some consistent ammo. But I am the type that would second guess if they were the best and end up adding Forster or Redding dies later so there would go any cost savings.

When you consider the cost of a set of dies can cost the price of one or two boxes of bullets, or 50 pieces of brass, they really are some of the cheapest investments with the greatest return on your dollar of about anything else involved with reloading...

why skimp? I have several sets of dies for each caliber I load for, different brands as one might have a feature that is a little better than the other...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,984
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.