Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by deflave
What I don't understand about the gun industry is how these people that don't have any idea what they're doing end up becoming employed.

I've met a lot of self-proclaimed "gun guys" and it usually takes about three minutes before you figure out they don't know much about anything.

Dave

That is not just a gun industry thing.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ill say this about Clay Harvey...He was a damn good writer from a talent standpoint imho. Its a shame he turned out to be a charlatan.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
That's because blowing up equipment or yourself generally uses up more Murphy than a fishhook through the thumb....

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
Very true...I work in the outdoor industry on the fishing side and its piled high over here as well...perhaps even a little higher. Gun enthusiasts and hunters seem more informed than anglers by a wide margin.

This.

Myself, as well, down here in FL, and I'd not call a majority of them "anglers" . . . that's misuse of the term's intent. Fishing shows and most fishing writers . . . pssshhh . . . don't get me started. 'Contempt' is too soft a word. Going by Steve's and JB's recollections, I'll say there are WAY too many Clay Harvey types in the fishing world, too; active, trusted, and even near worshipped.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read his stuff favorably back in the '80's. I have to admit that he did a fine article on the 6.5 x 55 that caused me to get one. There are so many people that have first hand accounts of his shady doings that there is no question as to why he is no longer heard from.

Writers will sometimes get criticism for writing as if they threw a thesaurus in a blender and pulling words out to make descriptors at random. He was one.

It still boggles my mind that he was selling off consigned guns. What kind of guy poisions his own well? A crook , I guess.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have to admit I went thru a stage of finding all articles on 6.5x55 as well.

That was a good pick for him, it's not like you have to sell the Swede virtues like pushing the 270 JOC.....

wink

Yes, I believe the above statement about gun enthusiast vs fishing is correct. There's always another Fish story....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 65BR
, it's not like you have to sell the Swede virtues like pushing the 270 JOC.....

wink

SNORK!!! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Never read much Clay Harvey stuff....if any at all...

I just remember him doing some writing for one of my first Nosler Manuals...can't put my finger on it, but he struck me as some sort of sleaze ball just by his writings in the Nosler Manual...

Guess when one grows up as a military dependent and you move a lot, you have to make friends all the time... live one place on Friday and next Friday you find yourself in a new school, several states away.....having to make new friends all over again...

it gives you a heightened sense of who to trust and who not to....know other military dependents that had the same experiences and abilities...all from their youth..

I'm very pro southern, but Harvey was the type that I thought was a regular embarrassment to the south.... use to have guys like him drive into the service station where I worked, fancy duds, tons of gold jewelry on them and wanted to know if you wanted to buy a watch.. all with fancy names but the wrong spelling....made in China crap...

I naturally don't trust someone who either makes up words or thinks he has to use words most people don't know, or use on a daily basis... just to try to impress others.... its all talking down to ya in my book...

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
[quote=HawkI]What's not to understand?

Every industry is filled with them...... [/quot

Yep. Just like there's one in every neighborhood.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Never read much Clay Harvey stuff....if any at all...

I just remember him doing some writing for one of my first Nosler Manuals...can't put my finger on it, but he struck me as some sort of sleaze ball just by his writings in the Nosler Manual...

I naturally don't trust someone who either makes up words or thinks he has to use words most people don't know, or use on a daily basis... just to try to impress others.... its all talking down to ya in my book...

Wait...I might be in that same Nosler Manual. Look under 9.3.

Hope that does not make me a reprobate dramatist!! wink

Last edited by hatari; 04/18/16.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Clay Harvey seemed to like certain words. "Ambient" comes to mind.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Now, there is a truly useless word.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Now, there is a truly useless word.

How about antediluvian? laugh

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Clay Harvey seemed to like certain words. "Ambient" comes to mind.

Originally Posted by Idared

How about antediluvian? laugh

Yes! and Alacrity.

Cartridges, Rifles, and Game. Must have used the word a dozen times.

I read all his novels too. Quick, easy, mindless, enjoyable.

Funny, when i first started coming to 24hcf I thought Steve/Dogzapper was Rick Jamison.

Good to hear people publicly condemning CH's actions here.

Last edited by Crockettnj; 04/21/16.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I forgot to thank Bullshooter for, earlier on this thread, reposting my comment on Clay Harvey's writing style:

"I always found CH's prediliction toward sesquipidalian semantics to be soporific, though not ancillary to his overt pomposity."

Thanks, Bob! had forgotten about that....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

How could you???

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I forgot to thank Bullshooter for, earlier on this thread, reposting my comment on Clay Harvey's writing style:

"I always found CH's prediliction toward sesquipidalian semantics to be soporific, though not ancillary to his overt pomposity."

that's a great quote!

C.H. had a certain style, and one of his quotes that I remember was;

"The trigger after all is our link with the BANG inside the gun."

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

That's my old roomy, Johnny. He knows all them fancy words gringringrin

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

John-
You're welcome.

An apothegm for the aging gunwriter: Obfuscation, abstrusity, and recondite obscurantism -- first, last, and always.

--Bob

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Just finished paging through a NAHC book he wrote from the 80's.
Where did he get to?

boy, this is a name I haven't heard in decades! I remember a lot of bad stories connected with his name.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.