-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apple or Linux is the way to go; Windows days are numbered.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I haven't used 10 yet but it hasn't sounded that bad (for Windows) from what I have heard. ME, Vista, 8 and others were probably worse.

I've been using Linux for years, presently using Mint with KDE desktop. Absolutely the way to go for me.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE
AH Hell, the only thing that would get you to stop complaining would be a return to MS DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.11!

Hey wait a minute, I could dig it too. smile smile smile

I have copies of each if you like, I also have a copy of the original Windowz if you would like to try that.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Over the years here at the Campfire, I've realized there are a few certainties in life. Death, taxes, and Redneck having issues with computers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why is it "new and improved" is always more complicated and harder to use than the old system?

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Likely because we're all getting less new and improved.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It's not half as bad as Windows 8 is. 8 was so bad that they skipped 9 to try to keep people from associating the successor with that disaster.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Redneck
Is there any doubt that this is the worst pos version EVER done by MS???

Looking at the zillions of negative comments from people who are desperate to ditch this pos OS and revert back to W-7 is interesting.. I mean, people HATE IT..

Replaced an aging PC a few months ago with a cheapie HP unit just for wife's Quicken stuff and occasional purchase online. Of course, it came with W-10. After 15-20 mns with that pos program last night, trying to book a flight on Orbitz, I finally gave up and went to this PC in the shop with W-7 on it and got the tix within about 2 minutes..

I'm going to try the W-7 install disc from this unit onto the new PC and see if I can be RID of that pos W-10 FOREVAH!!

I suppose I'm the only one here who despises W-10, but it appears I'm not alone nationwide.. smile

Unless you have a full retail version of 7 that will not work. The company puts the license number on the hard drive of the unit in the boot sector. Keeps you from installing on seperate PC.
I have win 10, and dont really mind it although I do still have a 100 % back up of 7 on hand.

Curious question, does win 10 have the dual boot option?...Could he set up the Dual Boot option and install the win 7 in the second OS Boot sector? I know this can be done with Linux as a second OS so why not Win 7?

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Apple or Linux is the way to go; Windows days are numbered.

if you count in decades maybe

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Windows 10 works great for me...I had one little hiccup when It first came out....It has been problem free after that..I think it is there best operating system to Date...

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 04/21/16.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes Win 10 can and will run dual boot.
But the problem is that the license key to the install discs given out with a PC or one made from a PC is embedded on the hard drive in the boot sector.
This is the reason you are warned to never deep format the drive as your install disc will no longer work. No License key.
With the full retail versions the license key is in your dirty little mitts to be typed in on install.

Swifty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by aspade
It's not half as bad as Windows 8 is. 8 was so bad that they skipped 9 to try to keep people from associating the successor with that disaster.

Yep...They tried to turn PC's into an app based system like smart phones making owners dependent on their for a fee proprietary Cloud. Went over like a ton of Bricks.

A set up like this gives Microsoft perpetual ownership of the PC. They hold it hostage and extort you out of fees just to use it even though you paid for it outright and should personally own it.

I like to think that my complaint to the BBB in Washington and my "unfair business practices" Complaint to the FTC based on these facts might have helped eliminated the push for Win 8. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Redneck,

I am with you 100%...learning it slowly but hate it. A lot of software is not compatible.

My son tried to get some forms from ATF and they would not download. I spoke with the local ATF and they acknowledge the problem but at present they are not changing anything. I fired up my old laptop and got him what he needed.

Lefty

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
But the problem is that the license key to the install discs given out with a PC or one made from a PC is embedded on the hard drive in the boot sector.
This is the reason you are warned to never deep format the drive as your install disc will no longer work. No License key.
With the full retail versions the license key is in your dirty little mitts to be typed in on install.

True...I forgot about the key that comes with the Commercial "full version". Are you hip to Linux? I have played with Linux a few times but still have yet to find a Distro I feel comfortable with to use full time. Would you have any suggestions as to which of these "ladies" would be the very best in usability to "date" long term? smile

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 04/21/16.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Not entirely correct. One, you can always retrieve the product key from the machine before you wipe and reinstall the OS. Windows won't tell you what the key is, but a simple search for "Windows Key Viewer" will lead you right to a nifty little tool that WILL tell you what it is. Second, as long as you use a factory install disc, it will automatically be activated during the install. Quite often, you can even use the install disc from a similar computer, as long as it's the same brand and version, with no activation issues. If you have a product key, you can even install from a different brand of install disc, as long as it's the correct version of Windows. It'll require activation through the phone system, but will work.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've swapped out the hard drive on a hand me down computer and used the Windows 7 serial code/key that was on a sticker on the bottom of the computer successfully.

Matter of fact I used a DVD I bought off Ebay for $9 that had several versions (home, professional, etc) of Windows 7 on it and all you had to do was supply the correct key. It wasn't a Microsoft disc of course but some guy that just made it for people that had computers that didn't come with an OS disc.

I'm pretty sure I chose to validate it online.

I also had a 3 computer pack - where you were allowed to install Windows 7 with the same key on 3 machines in your house.

After the first install, I always had to call into the automated Microsoft line for computers 2 and 3.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

True...I forgot about the key that comes with the Commercial "full version". Are you hip to Linux? I have played with Linux a few times but still have yet to find a Distro I feel comfortable with to use full time. Would you have any suggestions as to which of these "ladies" would be the very best in usability to "date" long term? smile

Ubuntu is really popular (maybe most popular) and has been around a while. You can buy a book to help you work it. I used it for a couple of years. They also have a big forum you can go to to ask for help.

I use PClinux KDE on my laptop now, but have been thinking of going to FreeBSD or one of the other Linux offshoots. I'm not an expert computer guy either, but any of the more popular Linux kernels should be pretty easy to run.

Most of them also have the option to create an ISO disk and try it out before installing it too.

Last edited by dodgefan; 04/21/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

Ubuntu is really popular (maybe most popular) and has been around a while. You can buy a book to help you work it. I used it for a couple of years. They also have a big forum you can go to to ask for help.

I use PClinux KDE on my laptop now, but have been thinking of going to FreeBSD or one of the other Linux offshoots. I'm not an expert computer guy either, but any of the more popular Linux kernels should be pretty easy to run.

Most of them also have the option to create an ISO disk and try it out before installing it too.

I have given a couple a test drive from a disk. I suppose I was not patient enough and had too much I needed to get done everyday to spend enough time learning to fully use it.

But it is time, because very soon MS is going to try and also eliminate support for Win 7. There are just so many different "Custom Distro Package combinations" out there to choose from depending on what your priorities are so I was not sure.

Be nice if someone put together a "turn key" "Best of the Best" feature option Distro package for those that want to make the switch as painless as possible and still have a full featured OS. smile

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 04/21/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not so sure that Microsoft will be able to drop support for Windows 7 anytime soon.

They failed miserably with Windows 8 trying to merge PC, Tablets and Phones into a single OS and they had to make Windows 10 just as an alternative for people to get off the horrid Windows 8.

In an effort to consolidate as many people as they could, they're giving it away . Unfortunately it sounds like its still not as intuitive as consumers want, it becomes bloated with updates , its very cloud driven as well as having some features that prevent pirating 3rd party software.

So while they'd like to drop support for Windows 7 ASAP, as of summer of last year there were still 250 million people using Windows XP.

Maybe the plan is to just wait out everyone until their computer dies or becomes useless to them and force them into an operating system

If that's the case, Microsoft should just keep updating Windows 10 with new features and hold off on a major release for 5 years. But of course there is no money in doing that.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/21/16.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'm not so sure that Microsoft will be able to drop support for Windows 7 anytime soon.

They failed miserably with Windows 8 trying to merge PC, Tablets and Phones into a single OS and they had to make Windows 10 just as an alternative for people to get off the horrid Windows 8.

In an effort to consolidate as many people as they could, they're giving it away . Unfortunately it sounds like its still not as intuitive as consumers want, it becomes bloated with updates , its very cloud driven as well as having some features that prevent pirating 3rd party software.

So while they'd like to drop support for Windows 7 ASAP, as of summer of last year there were still 250 million people using Windows XP.

Maybe the plan is to just wait out everyone until their computer dies or becomes useless to them and force them into an operating system

If that's the case, Microsoft should just keep updating Windows 10 with new features and hold off on a major release for 5 years. But of course there is no money in doing that.

They are in the business to make money, But money by deceptive practices is wrong in my book. They are like Automotive Engineers...always dreaming up ways to "Make it better" when it turns out to be the opposite. At some point there needs to be a "as good as it is going to get" situation and they stop this practice.

They need to let these programmers earn their money and justify their jobs in other directions. I actually enjoyed the MS Game quality when they still made games and Simulators. They should just stick to improving on a base OS like 7 and quit trying to completely change the whole industry standard each time they release a new version.

There is so much animosity that if one good full featured stable alternative OS came out they would be finished and done for in the OS market. Even PC manufactures are totally sick of this monopoly and would drop them in a heartbeat if they could.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,467 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,594
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.