Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Here's a huge Question for you Linux guys...What about "Drivers"? Do MAC Hardware Drivers work with Linux? In my particular case I am currently using dialup through a USB Modem for my Laptop. How do I cure Driver issues in Linux?

I'm not sure the Modem maker has an optional Driver for Linux but I think they do for MAC. Windows comes with a universal USB modem driver would this be found already in Linux versions? Or do I need to source a driver and get it filed before I fire up Linux?

In general Linux doesn't use drivers the way that windows does. With updates to the linux kernel (deep under the hood) it just recognizes and works with most devices. The very latest hardware may not go so well but older stuff works good in general.

If you do have to use a driver for anything you need to be very careful to use the right one. The drivers for Ubuntu will be specific to ubuntu. No, apple or other versions of linux drivers will not work.

I seem to remember modems can be a problem. You need to just try it to find out. The good news is that once you have a bootable dvd or usb drive you can try it out without worry. You don't have to install linux to try it.

If you're wanting to do research on a device just google "xyz device+linux" to see what others have to say.

One last thing, look at youtube for tutorials on installing and using linux.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gwrench
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Here's a huge Question for you Linux guys...What about "Drivers"? Do MAC Hardware Drivers work with Linux? In my particular case I am currently using dialup through a USB Modem for my Laptop. How do I cure Driver issues in Linux?

I'm not sure the Modem maker has an optional Driver for Linux but I think they do for MAC. Windows comes with a universal USB modem driver would this be found already in Linux versions? Or do I need to source a driver and get it filed before I fire up Linux?

In general Linux doesn't use drivers the way that windows does. With updates to the linux kernel (deep under the hood) it just recognizes and works with most devices. The very latest hardware may not go so well but older stuff works good in general.

If you do have to use a driver for anything you need to be very careful to use the right one. The drivers for Ubuntu will be specific to ubuntu. No, apple or other versions of linux drivers will not work.

I seem to remember modems can be a problem. You need to just try it to find out. The good news is that once you have a bootable dvd or usb drive you can try it out without worry. You don't have to install linux to try it.

If you're wanting to do research on a device just google "xyz device+linux" to see what others have to say.

One last thing, look at youtube for tutorials on installing and using linux.

I have been on this since his morning hoping for a reply...I really appreciate your time Sir.

My Device is older and made by ZOOM corp. I did indeed download an ISO to be put on a Stick. If you don't mind me asking? Do I now need to download something to make the stick bootable or can I just send the file to it and boot from it after setting my bios boot order? the stick is indeed formatted to FAT 32 already with the ISO loaded. I am running Win 7.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Can your computer boot from a usb drive? Some can, some can't.

There is a tiny little program called unetbootin that works great to put the iso on a flash drive and make it bootable. Just to be clear, you can't just copy the iso over to the flash drive and have it work.

Unetbootin can be installed in windows and linux.

In windows it doesn't seem like a typical install, it's almost like you just run the program once you have it downloaded. Give it a try.

Last edited by gwrench; 04/28/16.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Can your computer boot from a usb drive? Some can, some can't.

There is a tiny little program called unetbootin that works great to put the iso on a flash drive and make it bootable.

Unetbootin can be installed in windows and linux.

In windows it doesn't seem like a typical install, it's almost like you just run the program once you have it downloaded. Give it a try.

Yes, I can go into setup and reset the boot order. It is a fairly new AZUS with a current flash updated BIOS. What I was wondering is if my copied ISO file on the stick is already a bootable ISO or do I now need to reformat the stick as bootable and then resend the ISO file to the stick?

If the ISO file download is recognizable as bootable out of the box I should be ok right?

See...these are the steps that are missing for a layman. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sorry...just read this..." Just to be clear, you can't just copy the iso over to the flash drive and have it work."

These steps all need to be clearly explained click by click for anyone to brave giving it a try. The order of setting it up successfully is kind of elusive when read as worded.

Know what I mean?

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I understand completely. I added that comment after your read it the first time. Sorry.

Unetbootin will need to have you point out where the iso is on your computer. If you click on the button lower right with several dots you can browse to find the iso.

Unfortunately it is a case of "feeling your way" and "trial and error" too.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I understand completely. I added that comment after your read it the first time. Sorry.

Unetbootin will need to have you point out where the iso is on your computer. If you click on the button lower right with several dots you can browse to find the iso.

Unfortunately it is a case of "feeling your way" and "trial and error" too.

I really do appreciate your time here and I am going to play with it some more tomorrow.

"Unfortunately it is a case of "feeling your way" and "trial and error" too."

This is what needs to be fixed before more feel comfortable with the change over.

If you or anyone else would be willing to help I would like to get this done, make this change, and then explain how to do it click by click, step by step for others to feel more comfortable doing the change.

A here..."Print this and follow the steps exactly and you will be back on the Fire in no time" type of program. smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (35, afisher, Aviator, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.